It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the reason i quit going to church

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
when i was around the age of 17 we had a new precher come to our church he was just like all the rest he was precieved to be a good man by many but something wasnt right with him in my eyes. then one day he revealed the reason he became a preacher which shocked me and the whole church he said and i quote "its the easiest job i could find"

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I went to Catholic schools for a few years. I haven't been back since. I don't believe in any organized religion.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by stealthmonkey
when i was around the age of 17 we had a new precher come to our church he was just like all the rest he was precieved to be a good man by many but something wasnt right with him in my eyes. then one day he revealed the reason he became a preacher which shocked me and the whole church he said and i quote "its the easiest job i could find"

funny
your reasons not the lame quote.
kind of a shallow reason to leave a search for truth in scripture and a very good reason to leave the guys teaching.

Whatever happened to discernment?
I'ld be embarassed to publicly claim such a shallow reason to end a search for truth.
Now here comes all the shallow bible bashers mindlessly attacking me for pointing out the obvious. An obvious rsponse from a mind controlled, knee jerk, pre-determined secular brainwashed pov

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
maybe a preacher because the expectations around taking a vow of poverty is not on the list of any preachers that I know...Where my cousin lives their preacher is paid by the group..he makes appoximately 150,000.00 a year and his house is paid for...when asked why he gets so much money my cousin said they want him to live in their community and live a similiar lifestyle to know what problems they face....I too thought to myself how the heck do I get into that type of job....I think the preacher in his area is more looked at not only as a holy person but as a life coach...as for priests although some are dirty just like we see with coaches unless we start administering polygraph tests evil people are going to find their way into areas that make other people vulnerable and that includes daycare, schools etc...so it's not necessarily the profession or the idea it's simply the person...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by manna2

well thats your opinion but i dont want to be taught by someone that is in it just for the money which i believe that is what most religeous leaders are in it for and i dont want to learn someone who isnt a believer them selves teaching me what they precieve the word of god to means i have a bible and i have read it numerous times i believe i am competient enough to read and draw my own conclusions

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

im not saying all preachers are tha same i just mearly stated the reason he became a preacher was not to teach he just wanted the easy life

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by stealthmonkey

I have no opinion either way really but I was certainly taken back by how much people pay to have faith...and although I apologized the next day I did mention at one point during the conversation that it almost appears to have a cult like mantility to it...almost exclusive by the way he was discussing it...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by manna2

i believe you are the brain washed one when you pay someone to tell you what is the cost of a bible unless you cannot read but you seem to beable to type so why would you pay your hard earned money to someone who telles you a story that you can read for yourself?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

reply to post by manna2

well thats your opinion but i dont want to be taught by someone that is in it just for the money which i believe that is what most religeous leaders are in it for and i dont want to learn someone who isnt a believer them selves teaching me what they precieve the word of god to means i have a bible and i have read it numerous times i believe i am competient enough to read and draw my own conclusions

well then it gets even more silly for you.
If you have read the Bible many times somehow you missed jESUS TEACHING THAT YOU CANNOT SERVE 2 MASTERS.
You cannot serve 2 masters.
You cannot serve both Yah and mammon.
If a teacher begs for money from the pulpit, run out of the place, do not walk out. So I suggest you spend more time in prayer and scripture and less time hanging with a possible false teacher.
Exercize some discernment from all that study or seek another method. in comprehension if you are missing the basics of our Lords teachings.
Instead of reading the whole Bible, find a red letter Bible and focus on His teachings first till you understand some basic principles so you don't need to hinge on a sentence by someone that you probably took out of context.
John Ruskin, a 19'th century artist taught some very sound principles in understanding art.
matter-form-content.
Words are matter. The sentence brings matter into form to convey it's intended meaning.
A paragraph will use the form presented to convey the content.
Learn to discern the things you hear.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

reply to post by manna2

i believe you are the brain washed one when you pay someone to tell you what is the cost of a bible unless you cannot read but you seem to beable to type so why would you pay your hard earned money to someone who telles you a story that you can read for yourself?

you are projecting to me. You said it, not me.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by manna2

apparently you read and donot comprehind this took place when i was 17 yes old i am now 29 yrs old you only see what you want to see

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by manna2

a red letter bible? now you are telling me what to read? i can read the orignal text in hebrew can you?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

reply to post by manna2

apparently you read and donot comprehind this took place when i was 17 yes old i am now 29 yrs old you only see what you want to see

as I said, you simply lack discernment.
A sentence you most likely took out of contet ruined your search for truth.
Now it just sounds like you are lazy in your search besides lacking discernment.
Oh, maybe you are hoping to bash and are waiting for the cheerleaders to bail you out.

if you are 29, which you obviously withheld, you really really blew it for 12 years holding onto a very shallow thought that has influenced you this deeply. I actually gave you the benefit of the doubt assuming you were like 18 or something. I simply used the matter you presented by the form you chose giving the content that gets more empty the more you elaborate on it.
Boy I bet you can't wait for the cheeleaders.
edit on 30-12-2011 by manna2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by manna2

greek
ουτως γαρ ηγαπησεν ο θεος τον κοσμον ωστε τον υιον αυτου τον μονογενη εδωκεν ινα πας ο πιστευων εις αυτον μη αποληται αλλ εχη ζωην αιωνιον
כי ככה אהב האלהים את העולם עד אשר נתן את בנו את יחידו למען לא יאבד כל המאמין בו כי אם יחיה חיי עולמים׃hebrew
edit on 30-12-2011 by stealthmonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

reply to post by manna2

a red letter bible? now you are telling me what to read? i can read the orignal text in hebrew can you?

lol, no, I am telling you that you lack discernment. Read what I say.
You are projecting again

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

reply to post by manna2

ουτως γαρ ηγαπησεν ο θεος τον κοσμον ωστε τον υιον αυτου τον μονογενη εδωκεν ινα πας ο πιστευων εις αυτον μη αποληται αλλ εχη ζωην αιωνιον

lol. You need to spend more time with your english.
You missed the entire point that you intended to make.
You are projecting again.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by manna2

my english is fine im a country boy from florida a highly educated one i might add

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by manna2

your point has no meaning to me in this thread i didnot ask a question it was a statement

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

So you are willing to punish an entire faith system because one man was a jerk? That doesn't seem very logical. We don't toss away the entire government system because the people in it are jerks, we just seek ways to make sure they get out.

You sound like someone who watches the Jerry Springer Show, but do you toss the TV out because there are some jerks on it?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I must say this isn't the conversation I expected to see when I came upon this thread,

Finding a teacher that you have no respect for is a good reason to leave, but what has happened since then? Have you found a different guide? Do you plan on doing it all by yourself? Is your faith stronger now?

Do you think the problem was with that individual alone? Is all of religion corrupt? Is it more prevalent in non-denominational churches?

I was hoping to find learning in areas like those.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join