It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to fire long-range missiles during drill -news agency

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

UPDATE 1-Iran to fire long-range missiles during drill -news agency

af.reuters.com

Iran will fire long-range missiles during a naval drill in the Gulf on Saturday, a semi-official news agency reported, a show of force at a time when Iran has threatened to close shipping lanes if the West imposes sanctions on its oil exports.

Iran has long-range missile systems including the Shahab-3, which could reach Israel and U.S. bases in the Middle East.

In the past week it has threatened to stop ships moving through the strategic Straight of Hormuz if sanctions are imposed on its oil exports over its disputed nuclear programme, increasing tension in a long-running standoff with t
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Fri Dec 30 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: news source now lists UPdate 2- edited out update 1 in main title

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
It's obvious that on the grand scale of things, this is no danger whatsoever for the U.S. naval presence.

Will this be enough to draw condemnation and be perceived as a provocation?

I personally believe Iran has every right to perform these exercises in their waters or international waters if need be, all other countries do it too.

I'm not trying to fear monger here, but if Iran were to shut down the straight, things might end up popping off in more ways than one.

If you think food and gas is expensive now, wait until Iran decides to retaliate for the unfair sanctions they have been subjected too.

They can cause a lot of problems without firing a single shot.

af.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 30-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

In what world are they unfair sanctions? The US complies with THOUSANDS of directives set by the UN

Iran is the 4th largest producer of Oil in the world. They do not need a Nuclear power plant. Especially in a region with such instability. They have plenty of energy in the oil that they produce every day.

How is this complicated? Is this just too difficult to understand? Or is your hatred of the US and Israel blinding you?

edit on 30-12-2011 by kellynap43 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Good post CE. As you've stated Iran has every right to test their missiles so long as they adhere to international guidelines while in international waters. This is just more posturing of course. Not taking sides but how would the US response be if these same tests, or similar, were conducted in international waters off North America.
Nothing like a bit of tension to whisk 2012 in.

brill

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by kellynap43

In what world are they unfair sanctions? The US complies with THOUSANDS of directives set by the UN

Iran is the 4th largest producer of Oil in the world. They do not need a Nuclear power plant. Especially in a region with such instability. They have plenty of energy in the oil that they produce every day.

How is this complicated? Is this just too difficult to understand? Or is your hatred of the US and Israel blinding you?

edit on 30-12-2011 by kellynap43 because: (no reason given)

I don't agree with most of what you said, but I can still work around that. Regardless of Iran's oil reserves, they have every right to nuclear power, just like many other nations do who sign the NPT. I'm not sure if you read the IAEA report, but it's riddled with political dishonesty and half truths. If you don't believe me, have a read. I can even link it up for you if you wish.

The sanctions are unfair because they are politically motivated and based on hypocrisy.

I love U.S. and Israel, I was just near the Watertown crossing a few days ago, also near Vermont, great people over there. Not that it matters, I have lived in your country for 5 years plus, I have no hatred for Americans or Israelis, I only despise their governments policies, as I despise my country's policies as well.

No hatred here my friend, I promise you that.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

So US interests and well being are what define the limit of acceptability ?
Who cares if they are the top largest producer of oil, if they want nuclear power and can do so within the NPT and the IEAE then so be it. Who cares what the US gov't thinks.

brill
edit on 30-12-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

This is called saber rattling and what's the difference from North Korea test firing their weapons during Obamas tour around weapons reduction...this is a stupid attempt to allegedly show their military prowess which isn't on a grand scale...I wouldn't worry about this as much as people are saying we are close to war...we have been close before and I can't see us getting involved in this type of conflict...the Obama Administration cannot spin this type of war in their favor...he ignored Iran in the begining of his administration around getting tough with them and alleged nuclear weapons so I cant see him agreeing to starting a war with them..

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by brill

"Do as we say, not as we do."

That pretty much sums it up right?

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by kellynap43

Iran is the 4th largest producer of Oil in the world. They do not need a Nuclear power plant.

Riiiiiiiight. Oil is running out... how dare they set up alternative sources of energy! I mean, that's just crazy!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

It definitely is rattling of the sabers, but Iran's most powerful saber to rattle is this exercise and to threaten the closing of the Straight of Hormuz. They have hinted at the possibility of this many times so it should not come as a surprise. It's just there is a feeling in the air lately, maybe it's just me, but I see 2012 as a year of change, some good some bad.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco

This is called saber rattling and what's the difference from North Korea test firing their weapons during Obamas tour around weapons reduction...this is a stupid attempt to allegedly show their military prowess which isn't on a grand scale...I wouldn't worry about this as much as people are saying we are close to war...we have been close before and I can't see us getting involved in this type of conflict...the Obama Administration cannot spin this type of war in their favor...he ignored Iran in the begining of his administration around getting tough with them and alleged nuclear weapons so I cant see him agreeing to starting a war with them..

War-time Presidents don't lose re-election. It's as simple as that. Welcome to the Election process in Obamaland. Please keep legs and arms inside the propaganda vehicle at all times.
edit on 12/30/2011 by DarknessMatters because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I guess Voltaire was right.

“Common sense is not so common.”
― Voltaire

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kellynap43

The USA has lots of oil and solar power, why do they need nuclear power? It is called energy independence and not reliant on one thing, and advancement of science!!

They are advancing their society with science and technology and you tell them they should stay in low tech mode? Where are you from, North Korea?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I dont think it will be seen as provocation, although im sure it will be played up as such. From the looks Iran has notified, as required, countries they will be conducting live fire drills. The NOTAM(S) were sent..

The issue comes down to the question of responsibility and intelligence by conducting live fire drills in international waters in one of the top 5 busiest shipping lanes on the globe. Couple that with the size of the area and the potential of accidental catastrophe.

What Iran will be doing is "legally" shutting down the straights of Hormuz with their live fire drill. The response will be Dependant on how long they decide to run them and the disruption it causes.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Anymore than a parent calling a kid dumb all the time and him eventually starting to believe it we are bombarded by 2012 stuff and mostly all bad so how can you not have this feeling...take some time off for one week from news and these sites and I bet 9 out of ten will feel none of the doom and gloom..I listen to coast to coast and all that everyone says is that they feel like bad things are to come..funny coming from a show that promotes doom and gloom every other night not to mention that prophet of doom Ed Dames who after listening to him you want to hang yourself so how would one be expected to feel when we are being slowly programmed to feel this impending doom comming...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DarknessMatters

I can't see us going to a full fledged war over this because the stakes are that much higher...this is much different..you mean to tell me that if this was north korea doing the blockades we would be going to war with them? Keep in mind our soldiers in South Korea?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I guess Voltaire was right.

“Common sense is not so common.”
― Voltaire

Apparently James Madison & Thomas Jefferson were right as well:

“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” - James Madison

“Governments constantly choose between telling lies and fighting wars, with the end result always being the same. One will always lead to the other.” -Thomas Jefferson

brill

edit on 30-12-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

At this point, I have to believe Obama is willing to do anything to win a second term. Whether it's from Martial Law on our soil or "Wagging the Dog" with Iran. This President is too powerful. He went around Congress over Libya, lied to the citizens when he declared "no boots are on the ground" in Libya....who's to say he won't pull the same type of scheme with Iran?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
The issue comes down to the question of responsibility and intelligence by conducting live fire drills in international waters in one of the top 5 busiest shipping lanes on the globe. Couple that with the size of the area and the potential of accidental catastrophe.

Perhaps if the US took her toys home there would be more room for others to play ? Joking aside your point is well made. If the laws permit them to conduct these exercises they have the right and if its inconvenient then I would say that's a clever move by Iran. Don't get me wrong, I think both sides stink in this affair and they are equally to blame.

brill

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

This dooom you speak of isn't coming, it's already here.

Look what just happened in the same region;

Check This

These humans over there might not be very important to you, but I respect all my fellow humans and the people over there are just as important as my fellow countrymen.

Mark my words, 2012 will be very memorable.

Perhaps you don't see it the same way as I, but that's okay.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join