Wireless data can be delivered by lights, anywhere: call it ‘Li-Fi’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Hi ATS,

Hope it was a good crimbo/supercharged materialism time for you all!

And happy new year!!

Just come across this and thought it pretty cool,, nefarious and, just well worth a mention here!

Basically this bloke Harold is saying that data can be transmitted via bulbs that glow and darken faster than the human eye can see.

Harold is also suggesting that the applications and capacity for data would be limitless — from using car headlights to street lamps to transmit data!!

Now I think that sounds pretty cool, full of potential yes,, but then the criminal/conspiracy part of my brain is setting off a few alarm bells!

So, obviously it would be nice to talk about some of the way out there good sides to this possible technology, but at the same time, what could be some of the more negative aspects of it??.. Got to have a bit of doom and gloom

Has anybody heard of this Harold bloke before and got any dirt on him? Could this be a sly attempt at getting part of the hive mind system for any potential slaves for the powers that wanna be up and going??

Here's a link to the main article just in case my summary isn't enough

Chew on that and let me know what you think ATS!

Namaste.
edit on 30/12/11 by WHOS READY because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Almost like a morse-code type of thing?

Easily done.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
You want doom and gloom?

I say it is an orchestration by big pharma as many people will get seizures from being exposed to these rapid flashes of light.

But the idea is better than using microwaves or other stuff like that for communication.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Data transmission by light isn't new.

In terms of 'broadcast' light, until 5 years ago, most portable devices (mobile phones and laptops) had IRDA ports, which transceived data over infra red light.

In terms of 'captive' light, this is used every day for fibre optic cable, and laser relays.

I'm not sure what the excitement is?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I seem to recall this being trailled in Supermarkets years ago .
The idea was to keep shelf edge and price labels up to date without any human intervention .
I'll do dome digging and see if I can dredge something up .

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
interesting thread.

speech about the subject from Haas himself

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiflad

In terms of 'broadcast' light, until 5 years ago, most portable devices (mobile phones and laptops) had IRDA ports, which transceived data over infra red light.

In terms of 'captive' light, this is used every day for fibre optic cable, and laser relays.

I'm not sure what the excitement is?

Human voice transmission by light was done in 1880.

The photophone, also known as a radiophone, was invented jointly by Alexander Graham Bell and his then-assistant Charles Sumner Tainter on February 19, 1880, at Bell's 1325 'L' Street laboratory in Washington, D.C.[1][2] Both were later to become full associates in the Volta Laboratory Association, created and financed by Bell. Bell believed the Photophone was his most important invention. The device allowed for the transmission of both articulated sounds and normal human conversations on a beam of light. On April 1, 1880, and also described by plaque as occurring on June 3, Bell's assistant transmitted the world's first wireless telephone message to him on their newly invented form of telecommunication, the far advanced precursor to fiber-optic communications that came into widespread use during the 1980s. The wireless call was sent from the roof of the Franklin School to the window of Bell's laboratory, some 213 metres (700 ft) away

Source

Wireless data transmission by means of light waves was done in 1869 and it was solar powered.

Sir Henry Christopher Mance (1840–1926), of British Army Signal Corps, developed the first apparatus about 1869[6] while stationed at Karachi, in the Bombay Presidency in British India. Mance was familiar with heliotropes by their use for the Great India Survey.[5] The Mance Heliograph was operated easily by one man, and since it weighed about seven pounds, the operator could readily carry the device and its tripod. During the Jowaki Afridi expedition sent by the British-Indian government during 1877, the heliograph was first tested in war.[7][8]

source

edit on 30-12-2011 by butcherguy because: Fixed date and text.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Its really stupid what he is proposing. It sounds great in theory and a perfect world... But come on out to the real world of cheap economics, and trying to get light from street lights and your phone would have to also be blinking with the street lights and the street lights would have to pick up that signal too. How can you get around that? We'll use existing models like wifi... Well that takes away from the whole light transmission doesn't it? Plus what? Internet companies lose out?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Duh, all electromagnetic communication is light..radio waves and ultraviolet waves included. Its just not light in the human visible spectrum.

This is common sense stuff, if you can believe this new article...why can't anyone believe in communication from Hunab Ku: the galactic center via superwaves...or astrology, both of these examples are based on the idea of information communication using "light".

Once again, the western world is still only beginning to catch up to ancient knowledge.
edit on 12/30/11 by metalshredmetal because: Sp

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by WHOS READY
using car headlights to street lamps to transmit data!!
WRONG They have to be LED lights, headlights and street lamps are not LEDs.

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
I say it is an orchestration by big pharma as many people will get seizures from being exposed to these rapid flashes of light.
WRONG it is too fast to cause seizure.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalshredmetal
Duh, all electromagnetic communication is light..radio waves and ultraviolet waves included. Its just not light in the human visible spectrum.

So your telling me that if i have my phone locked away in the glove compartment of my car that light from the LEDs in a street light, could interact with my phone? I doubt it. But i sure know what could... Radio Waves...

Sure they are both Electromagnetic waves, but one stops (light) when it hits matter like a glove box, and the other (radiowaves) can go through that glove box and interact with the phone.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w
interesting thread.

speech about the subject from Haas himself

That was a great watch! Very informative.
No doubt at all that this is an incredibly new,
and potentially a game changing, technology application.
He's a dead man walking.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I'm sure someone already mentioned fibre optic cables, but I believe the application you are suggesting is wireless, and this brings to mind tesla...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
BTW most phones are stationed in pockets. No light there.

However in public places, you could get free LiFi out of your pocket... But why not use WiFi?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Well, he covered the received broadband data, which is the major bandwidth, but not what your laptop or device transmits back to the host(s)... You certainly cannot direct that back to the light bulb, so where does this infrastructure come from?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mwuhi

Actually, there are many cars that is starting to use LED lights now

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiflad

It's no different to radio waves either.

Exact same thing, just different frequency and wavelength.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mwuhi

WRONG A lot of cars now have LED lights, and a lot of towns are now introducing LED street lights, a lot of which point down with guard above to reduce light pollution.

This system would still rely on cables or standard Wi-Fi somewhere along the chain to initially get the data onto the network. I suppose it could be carried along the electrical system similar to powerline adapters.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
The only practical application is your TV remote.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
What about the sunlight interference?
Or are we talking about the inferred spectrum of doing this? I thought inferred was limited?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join