It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holidaying: Cameras

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Hi Guys n Girls,

Going on holidays to India/Amritsar for 35 days, travelling all around. In need of a new camera. I'm sort of beginner/intermediate. Have been suggested the D5100, but not to sure.

If someone sees this and they have a post where they upload there pictures to could you tell me what camera your using or what you would suggest for someone starting out and wishing to pursue photography as a hobby.

Thanks for your time.

SoS

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Sounds_of_Silence

Canon always produces terrific photos.....EOS40 ?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

My personal recomendation would be the micro four thirds range of cameras by Olympus and Panasonic. They are small, lightweight and easy to carry whilst having the ability to change lenses. The main reason for recomending these cameras is that you mention that you want to take up photography and these cameras will allow you to grow and learn over time. The Micro four thirds cameras allow you to use them in both full auto and manual modes. You can also build up a collection of lenses as you go along.
I actually own Canon SLR's (much to big and complicated for your needs right now) and an Olympus E-p2 with a range of lenses for both. I mainly use my SLR in the home studio and take my E-p2 out and about with me. During the recent riots in the UK i took my E-p2 out and managed to get some images without being noticed due to the small size of the camera (an SLR or some bridge cameras would have made me a target immediately). These pictures were then sold on to the press with the money going towards a nice shiny new lens.

For somebody just starting out I would look at the E-pl line of Olympus micro four thirds cameras. These are cut down versions of the E-p range (made of plastic not metal for example) yet still allow you to have full control when you want to start moving out of that automatic mode. A kit containing the camera and 14-42mm lens should be a good starting point, and I wouldn't consider the newest model as that just increases expense. try the e-pl1 to start with, it's two models down from the most recent but will still give you SLR quality images. I have linked to the USA site but there are links on there for other regions

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Bought my mom a Panasonic Lumix G3. She already took some awesome pictures and shes a "newbie".
Do you search for compact or for system cameras?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

If your doing alot of travelling and view yourself as a beginner/intermediate photographer, I'd suggest you closely consider your needs before commiting to the larger, more complex DSLR's in general.

There are many sophisticated high quality compacts available, and depending on your budget, these two amongst many are worth considering...

Nikon 1 - interchangeable lenses, yet not a cheap camera.

Cannon S100 - doesn't have the zoom capabilites of the Nikon, yet less expensive and a genuine high end compact.

... additionally, both have excellent HD video capabilities and are a great step towards DSLR photography if that's what your interested in.

Oh and by the way, the D5100 is an excellent camera.

If size isn't an issue for you while travelling and you view it as a long term purchase and photography as an ongoing hobby/interest, it's probably the best all-round,(features, quality and value considered) DSLR available.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I have a excellent site that I think could help you. You are able to see actual pictures taken with different cameras and lenses in effort to determine better what you might need/want. In addition, equipment costs are given, with lists of internet sites that are selling the equipment so that you can compare the costs.
pixel-peeper.com...

I bought the canon 500d for vacation and I love it! Best of luck to you!

top topics

join