It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US 'deeply concerned' after Egyptian forces raid NGO offices in Cairo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

www.guardian.co.uk

The raids included targeting the US-government funded National Democratic Institute – founded by former secretary of state Madeleine Albright – and the International Republican Institute, whose chairman is Republican senator John McCain. Both organisations are affiliated with the two major US political parties.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I say Well DONE EGYPT Well DONE EGYPT you see Sen John McCain may have been behind the protests.

( and the International Republican Institute, whose chairman is Republican senator John McCain. Both organisations are affiliated with the two major US political parties.)

I guess that would explain why Sen John McCain came to Egypt along with John Kerry, Joe Liberman.

I guess that picture is worth a thousand words.

("We are deeply concerned," a State Department official told the Guardian.)

I wonder why are they so concerned? is it because it the raids may have some dirts on these organisations and best of all some dirt on former secretary of state Madeleine Albright?

Whichever the dirt they may have found during these raids one thing is for sure the american government isnt liking it.

So ATS what are your thoughts on This one? what Dirt may have they found?

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 30-12-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Maybe none unless they were a bunch of hackers.
My guess is that the US government are pissed as their ability to spread propoganda in Egypt may have just took a mighty blow, leaving them worried that they may not end up with any control over Egyptian politics.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Well first of all I must congratulate the Egyptian authorities for showing that foriegn government funded organisations will have a tough time influencing the politics of Egypt in the future. I believe that there are NGO out there which have very little influence politically, or at least have the decency to hide thier meddling behind a genuinely useful facade, like for instance a humanitarian/medical mission, and that they do a good job of it too!

But an outright political organisation, designed purely to install democratic training in people is not on! Either the Egyptians will come by democracy by thier own hand, or they will not come by it at all. US lead political training camps, spoon feeding lessons that are meant to be taught by expirience will only turn sour in the future.
Imagine if you will the following, playing out before you:

Egypt is all about ready to embrace democracy under its own steam, having its own politicians with thier own veiws, and finally a clear difference emerges between candidates, even those who both share a common party or platform. All that remains is to have the key vote.Almost having achieved a democratic government, the Egyptian people are happier and cannot wait to find out what democracy is like to live under truely.
All of a sudden, extremists make the point that ALL the democratic parties, and personages have been, and probably still are, under US and western influence, and cannot be trusted to keep Egypts interests at the fore front of thier thinking. Thrown into pandemonium, and chaos, the howls of betrayal from those who have been swayed by extremist propeganda, the tears of those who are seeing something they have worked for, all thier lives in some cases, fall to bits before them, the entire premise of democracy in the region is swept away due to the obvious foriegn interest influence exerted on each and every candidate in the eyes of the voter.

If I can see the flaw in promoting democracy through training of this sort, then you can bet that it will be exploited by extremists in the future to invalidate the loyalty of any democratic politician or party in Egypt. The only way to have an Egyptian democracy , is for Egypt to figure it out for itself. Any other scenario means that any potential government might be seen as collaberators with foriegn interests, and that would make such a government weak in the eyes of the people, and in the eyes of dangerous elements with aspirations to power, prestige, and access to military power, personel and equipment, they would look like a victim with his throat bared to make the passage of the blade across it swifter and more immediately lethal, and a heavy purse at his waist.

I believe that non-government organisations of the directly political type ought to be abolished. There is a difference between the efforts of human rights organisations for instance, and those of wholely political organisations. Human rights is an issue which affects nations of every political bias, and there are no more important issues affecting the people of Earth at this time, than the prevention of abuse of the more important elements of human rights, so thier efforts are to be commended. But, where an organisation claims to be non governmental, and yet seeks to assist in the alteration of a foriegn powers political activities, I have very strong concerns about the legitimacy of the term "non-government" where they are concerned.
The NDI and other similar organisations, are essentially indoctrination centres of a different sort than those in dictatorships, and if you want evidence of that, look at who owns these organisations and who funds them, and who gains most politicaly, financially, and globally.

I am wondering if it is time that NGO were prevented from even recieving government sponsorship, donations, or funding of any sort from any memeber of a parliament, any of thier family, business associates or anyone else who might have a vested interest in influencing things using that NGO as a propeganda station, right under the noses of those they are trying to oust from government.

I believe it is time that things were changed so that no former, potential, or current parlimentarian, or any of thier friends , family or associates ought to be able to sit on the chair, or have any involvement with, an NGO. It would mean that NGO would have to get all funding from charitable donation of course, and it would mean that they would have to have people with moral fibre sitting in the big chair (rather than politicians, who we all know are nothing but walking crap that steal our air, and have the cheek to charge taxes as well) but I really think thats the way they ought to be run these days, to keep them clean.

I am unsuprised that these raids have taken place. I would expect the same of the British government if the communists started indoctrinating our politicians using similar methods.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Watch your step, Egypt!

If you don't play the game, you will have to deal with the Libyan "rebels" after they are finished with Syria!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Many of the NGOs raided were Egyptian. They're not after foreigners.

IRI took an even more aggressive tone in their statement on Thursday. “It is ironic that even during the Mubarak era IRI was not subjected to such aggressive action,” the organization said. “Today’s raid is confusing given that IRI was officially invited by the Government of Egypt to witness the people’s assembly elections, and was in the process of deploying a high level international delegation to observe the third phase of elections.”

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

The IRI chairman is John McCain. What was that about these NGO being Egyptian? How Egyptian can something be if its chairman is an American with political ties to western interests?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Dear TrueBrit,

Some of the NGOs are based in foreign countries, some are Egyptian. It raises the question of what Egypt is afraid of others seeing. Certainly, they can't be afraid that America under Obama is going to conquer Egypt or overthrow its government.

The state prosecutor’s office said in a statement that a team of investigators from the prosecution service was searching “17 headquarters of branches of Egyptian and foreign civil society groups.”

With respect,
Charles1952

new topics

top topics

join