Free Online Education For All!

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
This is great!!! I came across this this school M.I.T that is going to provide FREE EDUCATION FOR ALL! regardless of your academic performance or background, to anyone in the WORLD. I hope people really take advantage of this!
I don't know why people aren't making a FUZZ about this, this is very big. IMO. Knowledge is golden!

For Wall Street Occupiers or other decriers of the “social injustice” of college tuition, here’s a curveball bound to scramble your worldview: a totally free college education regardless of your academic performance or background. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.) will announce on Monday that they intend to launch an online learning initiative called M.I.T.x,which will offer the online teaching of M.I.T. courses free of charge to anyone in the world.
The program will not allow students to earn an M.I.T. degree. Instead, those who are able to exhibit a mastery of the subjects taught on the platform will receive an official certificate of completion. The certificate will obviously not carry the weight of a traditional M.I.T. diploma, but it will provide an incentive to finish the online material. According to the New York Times, in order to prevent confusion, the certificate will be a credential bearing the distinct name of a new not-for-profit body that will be created within M.I.T.

LINK

Why is MIT doing this?
MIT seeks through the development of MITx to improve education both on the MIT campus and around the world.

On campus, MITx will be coupled with an Institute-wide research initiative on online teaching and learning. The online learning tools that MITx develops will benefit the educational experience of residential students by supplementing and reinforcing the classroom and laboratory experiences.

Beyond the MIT campus, MITx will endeavor to break down barriers to education in two ways. First, it will offer the online teaching of MIT courses to people around the world and the opportunity for able learners to gain certification of mastery of MIT material. Second, it will make freely available to educational institutions everywhere the open-source software infrastructure on which MITx is based.

LINK

MIT News

edit on 30-12-2011 by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I thought they already did this through OpenCourseWare.
I was going through their computer science course.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaOwl

Really? How was the coarse?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
love the post. I can imagine a world some day in the distant future where college is free, and learning is something that isn't kept from any who seek it. Some may argue that this is true of our world today, and in some senses it is, but its the freedom of knowlege that i believe a functioning large society would find its greatest reward in. I look at the mysteries of the universe and the random geniuses of knowledge spread throughout our history. If certain things had gone wrong and they had not gotten into the spot light, they would of never contributed to our data pool of knowledge. How many einsteins in this world are missing because they weren't taught how to put their unique way of seeing the world with knowledge that is kept in the vaults of the halls of college? Just something to think about.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld

WOW, this is huge!

Gong to take advantage of this right now!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I think its a really grand idea.
Don't know why, when I visit their site, the sight of DOW and Lockheed-Martin being corporate sponsors made me a little-- edgy.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I was wondering just a few days ago about how cool it would be to have free online learning - though mostly stuff they don't teach in school - like how to balance a checkbook, change brake pads on your car or how to fix a leaky toilet. All the stuff people are googling for a million times a day. But online college for free is great too even if you can't get a degree.
Knowledge should be free to anyone who wants it. There's no good reason why learning must be for profit.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld

just marking his for later..... thanx for the info.......

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Now this is what higher education is all about, the pursuit of knowledge... Something that everyone should be allowed strive for, something FREE. I mean, Einstien never paid anyone to let him come up with his theories of special and general relativity. Why should we be forced to pay just so we can be allowed the grace to pursuit it?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
The beginning of the "Education Bubble" popping?

Love it. . .

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Knowledge should be free to anyone who wants it. There's no good reason why learning must be for profit.

Knowledge is already free.

Learning can be free if you are going to teach yourself. However, if you are going to have someone teach you, it can hardly be for free. Teachers must be paid.

Having said that, the cost of tuition is extravagant and should not be as high as it is. The cost of education should only be what is required to pay the teachers and fund the campus. No one else needs to be making money off of it.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

It will make freely available to educational institutions everywhere the open-source software infrastructure on which MITx is based

Will it be available for home schooling?

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

It will make freely available to educational institutions everywhere the open-source software infrastructure on which MITx is based

Will it be available for home schooling?

it will be available to anyone eager to learn...
if you want to incorporate it into home schooling, then awesome...
added to, not replacing other things that the state requires of coarse...

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by baphomet420

Thanks for your reply.
I'm in the UK. Over here so long as a child is never enrolled at school from the start we can home school without much interference. Was thinking about my grandson, he's two yrs and already smarter than the five year olds that are in school so we realy dont want to slow him down by putting him in school.
Having access to MIT would be a big +

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Super Duper WOOOOWWWWWWWOOOOOOOO

I can't believe people aren't making a big S&F about this. Who cares who's behind it. You know, one thing I've discovered about people is the ones who have not, and want to whine and do nothing to but still "have". And the ones who have not, get off their a$$ and DO something to get what they want. So many people are full of excuses. They SAY they want this and that, but when you show them how to go about getting it, they are suddenly busy and don't have time, excuse, excuse, excuse. Maybe people are too busy waiting for TEOTWAWKI. I say go for it!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

if its like the open source coarse was, the reading will be difficult for a young child...

but i guess thats where the teacher part of home schooling comes in

lol, im ready for it start...

i hope this is the first of many to start to open up education to the less fortunate...

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

'learning' is a desire... there can be ---and are dozens of learning sites if One wants to apply themselves...

there are dozens of 'how to' videos from changing break pads to drilling a water well
i would have thought you were aware of that

the MIT (and a bunch of other free-on-line education sites) are there for the picking
just why is this 'news'...?
the MIT open source has been acknowledged on ATS for way more than a year already

but i guess that ...if the info is more than 10 hours old---then it's forgotten,,,and requires a new thread

sheeze

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

sorry, but this is a completely new roll out...

it starts this spring...

this is a newer program that they are replacing the open source courses with...

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I love this. Once I finish my current degree, I'm going to spend a lot of time on opencourseware and online resources. I already use them, but I hope to be able to spend even more time on some of the lectures/videos when I don't already have a full course load.

I think education is such an important component for our civilization!

top topics

join