It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Strange world of North Korea.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I was reading up a bit about North Korea (NK henceforth), and decided to just share this story with everyone.

NK, truely is like no other country on earth. The oppression being used in NK is truely on anther scale. The people that live there, seem to be happy, yet they are so brainwash, and have almost no contact with anything other than their oppressive regime.

Many of these snippets are from a BBC article, written by 2 journalist who visited the country.

"Thanks to the Great Leader," one young man replied, "we are allowed to watch English and American films, like The Sound of Music."
When asked which world leaders - other than the Dear Leader - he admired, he quickly answered "Stalin and Mao Zedong!"

Our minders had probably never seen any other kinds of news item or documentary about their country or the rest of the world. They were not allowed to, and they could not, because no-one has access to the internet in North Korea. Instead, the North Koreans have a special internal intranet which I was shown at Pyongyang University.

People cut the roadside grass with scissors, a time-consuming act, and wash the city pavements with scrubbing brushes and cloths, items usually reserved for the home.

Please read the full article to see just, how opressed the people of NK is.

I think we can all be grateful for the freedom that we have, and that we many times take for granted.

vvv

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I think North Korea is actually more free than we are, their living standards are higher, the students are more likely to enter college, there's just so much to NK that makes it unique and maybe even better than the US

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama

I think North Korea is actually more free than we are, their living standards are higher, the students are more likely to enter college, there's just so much to NK that makes it unique and maybe even better than the US

Go live there then buddy,

Love the communism nuts hilarious!!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Of course,

because only total-brainwash and total control of the people keeps those regimes from breaking apart.The people must be locked out from the rest of the world, no media, no internet etc. because all those influences would endanger the current, oppressive power structures. Otherwise people MIGHT "awake" that all they are being told is lies, mostly. And only with brain-washing and isolation you can keep the lies up and can keep the power.

The people becoming aware of reality is those government's biggest enemy, NOT the other countries around them.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Actually North Korea practices Juche, which clearly states that the masses are in control of North Korea, so I dont get exactly why communism is bad, If the government is actually there for the people? I've notice people hate on North Korea, but very few actually know anything about this country..we Americans think we are so great, but their are countries out there who have it better than us, and we just cant stand for that to be true..

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Surely you jest...

Freer than Americans? Their standard of living is higher?

Where in the world would you get such ideas? It is definitely unique though.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Real oppression starts in the North Korean goulags where dead prisoners are your staple diet. It has also being brought to the attention of the South Koreans via an escapee of one of these goulags....they are sometimes even forced to kill their own children to survive.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

If you actually believe this you're an...........................

nvm.....You'll make an excellent drone.
edit on 30-12-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Beware North Korea

Because they do not care about people.

They murder people.

And their new leader is an idiot.

He will do what he is told. By a murderer.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Actually North Korea practices Juche, which clearly states that the masses are in control of North Korea, so I dont get exactly why communism is bad, If the government is actually there for the people? I've notice people hate on North Korea, but very few actually know anything about this country..we Americans think we are so great, but their are countries out there who have it better than us, and we just cant stand for that to be true..

Well, to their own admission, they have no internet access, so there is restriction of information going on and censorship taking place. They are only allowed on an intranet. They are only allowed to see and learn what their government deems okay.

So, I have a problem with that. How about you?

North Koreans get in huge trouble if they talk badly about their government or leader. Here, we can say exactly what we think of our government...

Hell, in North Korea, your post would not be allowed! None of ours would.

In North Korea, they are shut off from the rest of the world and have no idea about how things work elsewhere. They are so far behind that the few who are able to escape into South Korea( Yeah, clearly a great place since people want to escape) have to get help for months just to get used to being in the 21st century.

They aren't great. They just want their people to think they are amazing, by not allowing them to see just how much the place really sucks.

North Korea is a place where your thoughts are even controlled. You just have to think this way because you have never seen any other way to think....

Talk to a person who has escaped from North Korea about why they left and what their opinion of the Country is now that they know about the rest of the world. I promise you will change your mind.

See you around the boards.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

reply to post by Nobama

Like i said, we take our freedom for granted. I do not think you realize what it is to not have freedom. Its like oxygen, you never think about it, but when taken away, you sure as hell wish you still had it!

vv

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   

As the number of North Korean defectors has grown in recent years, their stories have shed light on the secretive country they fled and the trials of adjusting to life outside their closed society.

The South Korean Unification Ministry says there are more than 18,000 North Koreans living in the South. UNHCR and the U.S. State Department estimates 30,000 or more are stuck in China or the Russian Far East. VOA's Jim Stevenson had the opportunity to talk with two North Korean defectors and brings us their stories in this four-part series: North Korean Defectors Tell of Hardships and Hope

www.voanews.com...

NK is certainly a testiimony to the power of groupthink over human societies - mind you we have PC in the west, the muslims have Islam.

Things that an awfull lot of its participants know is utter bull# - and yet are obliged to comply with.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Nobama=Nobraina

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Their new leader looks like the archetypal tyrant. At least his dad could muster a smile. The son looks a bit nasty and has been eating most of the food in N Korea by the looks of him.

It looks like such an utterly weird place so Isolated from the world outside it. Like a communist theme park you can not leave that has run out of food.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Well, to their own admission, they have no internet access, so there is restriction of information going on and censorship taking place. They are only allowed on an intranet. They are only allowed to see and learn what their government deems okay.

So, I have a problem with that. How about you?

North Koreans get in huge trouble if they talk badly about their government or leader. Here, we can say exactly what we think of our government...

Hell, in North Korea, your post would not be allowed! None of ours would.

In North Korea, they are shut off from the rest of the world and have no idea about how things work elsewhere. They are so far behind that the few who are able to escape into South Korea( Yeah, clearly a great place since people want to escape) have to get help for months just to get used to being in the 21st century.

They aren't great. They just want their people to think they are amazing, by not allowing them to see just how much the place really sucks.

North Korea is a place where your thoughts are even controlled. You just have to think this way because you have never seen any other way to think....

Talk to a person who has escaped from North Korea about why they left and what their opinion of the Country is now that they know about the rest of the world. I promise you will change your mind.

See you around the boards.

Just brilliant.

Wish I could flag more.

America has its flaws but lets not stretch
it so far that north k has more freedoms then the USA,
that is a complete lie from an American hater.

edit on 30-12-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
And what would democracy do for them? Turn them into South Koreans? In the north they are politically chained; in the south culturally. The superficially "westernised" South Korea, is only "westernised" in the sense that it's probably the most materialistic society on earth, where the value of a person is measured by job and possessions and paycheck and how much plastic surgery his wife has had. But for all that, this culture is thoroughly Confucian. Rigid, closed-minded, ethnocentric, patriarchal, misogynistic, racist, patriotic to the point of falsehood and absurdity, are all words which spring to mind. This is a place where parents have absolute control of their children's lives, especially the females', completely, whether she's 7 or 27, from the cradle to the point of marriage (at which point the spouse takes over the parents' role) of course to a person of the parent's choice - engagement usually happens through "blind dates" arranged by the parents - you're sent on a "blind date" and start seeing this person regularly and you're de facto betrothed to him. How to I know? Talking to people who do know, as well as a first-hand experience of how they manipulate, indoctrinate and control their daughters to the point where though some little spark of life is making her feel her she hates all this - emotions are a big no-no over there - she can't consciously come to the conclusion that she's a practical slave and that there's somethign fundamentally wrong with that. As I said, Confucianism.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

How much time have you spent in communist countries?

I spent several years living and working in China. Keep in mind that China is communism light, but when you live there the oppression, control and lack of freedoms is ever present. I met several North Koreans there who had escaped from their home country. Every one of them was amazed at how much freedom they had in China, not to mention the availability of food.

My heart aches for the people of North Korea.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by PoeteMaudit

true S Korea isnt perfect though it would be a more preferable place to live than the north

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Another member send me this video, just to show a bit more about North Korea.

It seems a little sensationalized to me, but the gist is still there.

Ty Whateve69

vvv

top topics

join