It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collecting rainwater now illegal in many states as Big Government claims ownership over our water

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by whisperindave

I have worked in environmental labs with Environmental Scientist whose sole mission is to test waters from around the globe sewage as well as drain-water. I can tell you that the purification methods to clean the most putrid of H2O sources are MINIMAL AT BEST!

Yes it takes some work and a little bit of your time here on earth, but so does everything we as US citizens are able to get "on-demand".

*We as a nation of individuals just need to start investing time in our own personal infrastructures instead of relying on state and federal government.

edit on 31-12-2011 by maestromason because: *addition

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phayte

As a Popular Mechanics article from 2009 began, "Capturing rain may be one of humanity's most ancient methods of acquiring water, but now it's coming back in vogue." The government cannot allow such ancient methods to creep back into society, can it?

Read more: "Who Owns the Rain? Hint: It's Not Always Homeowners" www.popularmechanics.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Hmmm maybe I could start up a business exporting rain water to you lot over in the US. I am sure it will be legal if it is not from those illegal clouds hovering above you.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
hah, thats funny, they should be given a choice, they can harvest their own water, or they can give it to the utility company, in exchange for a discount or something.

no such thing as a free lunch, no sir.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Thank God for Lake Erie and the Great Lakes region. Our combined fresh water supply accounts for a whopping ONE-QUARTER of the Earth's fresh water. Say what you want to about The Rust Belt...we ain't NEVER THIRSTY MY FRIEND!

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I believe it is an issue of Riparian rights.

I believe this thread misses the big picture.

If every land owner, property owner, or person with a bucket, captured rain water to store for later use, what issues might you imagine there could be? "hey, where the hell did all my water go?" Oh, some tree huggers up stream decided to capture it as it came out of the sky"

How about the air you breathe? I bet most of you would have a big problem with Joe factory owner if he used your same arguments...." hey, the air on my property is mine, it is free, you can't charge me for the air, you can't tell me what I can and can't do with it, if I want to pump arsenic into it, well that is my God given right."

This car dealership, no big deal at all, except you run into the; "if he can do it, why can't I"

We have real and serious problems with government infringing on our rights. Focus your energies on those and give yourselves a chance to make persuasive arguments regarding those "real" issues. Most people don't believe the big bad government is going to use mind controling dogs to lead them all to FEMA death camps....We are the fringe and credibility is worth it's weight in gold...to be a bit more clear....
...my suggestion is to not add this issue to your rants at the sheeple, it won't give you street cred.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
well, in connecticut, you have to make sure any water that falls on your property

wait for it

stays on your property

a friend of mine had an inground pool put in and had to spend $30,000 just on excavation and drains to make sure the rain water stayed on his property

so if you don't like the utah laws

move to connecticut

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
ok that is bs but what can you do? the government is set up so it is almost impossible to over rule there laws they put in place.

now on to Colorado they lost a law suite this past year saying they dont even have the rights to there own water. in fact they had to drain a lake cus of this. Colorado to drain lake

this was stupid cus the water went maybe 200 miles and went in to the Ogallala Aquifer never to be seen again. it also tool away a really good lake that i fished at every weekend while i was out there.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

holy moley:

OBAMA SIGNED THE NDAA IT IS NOW LAW!!!!

why aren't you guys freaking the # out about this? This should be top story!!!!

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Soon everything, i fear will be illegal. from having children, to eating (joking) but all levity aside, when push comes to shove you can bet that chaos theory will take over. by that i mean that when evolution or survivial of a species is at hand, nature finds a way.. this theory was kind of explained in the movie Jurassic Park by Dr. Ian Malcom. impeding a survival method of humans just means that ingenious people will either find a way to circumvent, skirt or even break the law to get that precious resource which is one of the building blocks of all life not just human life. one can only hope that this law will end up being too broad to be enforceable.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DresdenCodex

yeah, i heard that and i started freaking out. only becuase i am more outspoken than most on my facebook page about political matters. my first thought was anger. my second thought was violence ( but in the end, rationale won out) as violence is never the answer. this government and municipalities have gotten out of control and something needs to be done just the right course of action to make the majorities voice heard is the question. im willing to bet that i for one will probably be among the first to disapear. but i have a few things working for me, the fact that for the last four years i have gone under the radar so to speak. i havent kept a permanent address in the last 4 years, i dont keep a bank account, and all of the personal information on facebook has been deleted before the filters took place after 9/11. i can only hope that these actions alone may yet one day save my hide for my kids.

NDAA is law folks. Congress has effectively declared War upon us.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
they/them will want to regulate urine next..claiming it is theirs.....to extract and recycle drugs, toxins, nutrients(sic) water whatever.....hey politicos come on over i gotta go

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Has the world gone mad? No but slowly were on our way to one mega dictatorship,one of the only things we actually can get for free and remain law abiding is air, how long till thats gone ? :p
Joke, but seriously....
you know when childeren open their mouths and try too catch the rain, What are the coppers gonna do? Arrest them for catching rain with their mouths?!
edit on 31-12-2011 by Hessiana because: Forgot something

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

When it comes to natural resources, it's not black and white, here and there like an idea. I am very civil liberal minded, but on this specific issue, I say the gov't has applicable reason to regulate rain water capturing practice. This is my short answer; my longer one is below for those interested.
edit on 1-1-2012 by setstraight because: to provide a shorter answer

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by badkittie748

On the surface one might think "what the" but from an environment-engineering stand point, it's not that simple.

If the rain water run-offs go to recharge watersheds, municipal water collection basins, underground aquifers, or wells, I can see the town's concern as diverting it would mean less accumulation for these water retention areas. However, unless they/gov't can measure how much rain water are actually captured/needed for municipal use as oppose to running into sewers and are not used at all, then they should not disallow private rain water capturing. Municipal water use is calculable.

In urban areas, those living in apartments have no means of collecting their own water; they rely on the city water supply. You can see the problems that could unfold if supply is undercut. I think it would be appropriate that if you live within certain county/town/city radius and uses city water, water collection cannot be initiated if the city water level is below a certain point. Once the water level reaches the designated full load, then a notice/broadcast announcement can go out to okay collecting. When there is no rain and city level is low, then private collectors would be required to release a certain amount of privately collected water into the municipal system for equitable distribution. This is a general idea, a concept promoting liberty with mutuality. If I live out in the woods, I wouldn't have this problem. On occasions, some

edit on 1-1-2012 by setstraight because: grammatical correction

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

When you own a piece of property in the US, you only own the right to use the surface land to live on. That means you only control a small portion of property extending so many feet above and below the surface. Ownership of the minerals, water, and sometimes even the timber attached to the land does not necessarily belong to the person who owns the actual “real property”, and under law these are usually considered a separate item of ownership.

So, for example, I cannot buy a piece of land above the national fuel reserve, build a well, and start pumping gas out of the reserve. This is the same way that a company can buy the mineral rights under your home and run a mine, or slant drill under your property.

Unless you own the water rights to your land, you cannot disrupt the flow of water through your land, and waterways are often considered an easement. For example, I have a canal in my backyard that runs to a lake. Even though I own the property clear to the other side of that canal, I cannot dam it up, obstruct it, reroute it, charge people to pass through it by boat, etc. If I were able to do this, then I could block my neighbors on the other side of me from having access to the public lake. The law says that they can have access through my land to that lake, and lists my canal as easement because of this, despite the fact that I am legally responsible for that land.

This again, is similar to the sidewalk in front of your house. You own the land on either side of it, and you are responsible for the care and maintenance of it, but you have no right to remove or block public access to it. If you fail to properly maintain it, and because of this someone passing through is injured on your sidewalk, you are legally responsible for it.

So knowing this, what makes anyone think they have an inherent right to the water on their property when they don't have a right to the minerals below, the sky above, or even public access through that property?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Yes it could happen, but if you’ll pardon the pun, “Don’t hold your breath.”

"A friend of mine claims that he heard of some politician actually floating the idea of charging people for the oxygen they consume at individualized rates based on each person’s body weight. So in the worst case scenario we would pay for the oxygen we breathe and then it would be illegal to exhale. Talk about a conundrum? I think back to when Bill Clinton uttered his now famous expression “I didn’t inhale.” Pretty soon we could find all of ourselves saying the same thing..."

"Sunlight. I don’t know the mechanics of how our exposure rates could be measured, but if there’s a way to make money off the Sun some enterprising government or corporation will do it."

Excuse My Logic
(link to the article)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Heaven forbid if anyone drinks any water without flouride in it!
Rainwater is better for you than tapwater.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

California I believe was the first to do it back in the 80's

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I told you. Did I not warn you? The next world war will be over access to clean water. You can make book on that. At the end of the day you can't drink oil.
edit on 5/1/12 by arbiture because: added a thought.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join