It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could You Stomach These Great Depression Meals?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69
reply to post by dreamingawake

you pretty much read out the contents of my school lunch box, from the 70's i used to look in amazement that some kids got orange round lollies in theirs (vitamin C tablets) and they had fruit juice in their drink bottles where i had water though at the start of the day was frozen.

so yeah i could easily live on rashen's. and even as an adult i have, thanks to my hubby bringing home army RAT packs when we have desperately needed them, even my kids have gone to school with their biscuits wrapped in green and cold baked beans.

anyone who was bought up poor will survive.

love and harmony
Whateva

Well said and thanks for sharing!
Growing up I was fortunate to have good well balanced meals for the most part, other times less fortunate. Though, while not homeless like the growing number of children today, some of my low income peers(friends of family's children), would be lucky to have food that was not; mac n cheese with hotdogs, cheap microwave pizza and cheaply made tv dinners, Franco American made ingredients, topped with junk food for the day. Also, from what I had observed; Food banks, in the 80s mostly had given a brick of government cheese, milk, butter, bread and eggs. Most Food banks now, with struggling donations, I doubt even have fresh ingredients such as listed.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Can someone tell me what Chipped Beef is - with a description? What do you do with the beef once it is chipped?Thank you.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
there are qute a few wild mustards and wild garlic mustard around here
the leaves when young are very good as are the seeds and the mustards made from them

plantain and staghorn sumack droops.....with fresh fish and musterd greens and cattailroots/shoots or solomon seal tubers

not too shabby

also wild cucumber ans maybe the domestic ones have a more then passing resemblance to panfish sperm scentwise and so can be used to spice up a fish hook
edit on 30-12-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
When I go outside, I have the habit of eating the colored part of clover leaf flowers. It has a nice perfume and taste.
White tender root parts of grass is also cool to eat. I never fell sick from both, but you have to be patient to have a noticeable plate!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

Drying has been used for hundreds of years as a means of preserving beef for extended lengths of time. It is also easier to transport over long distances, for it is lighter and easier to pack than fresh or frozen meat. Hikers and athletes commonly use dried beef as a quick and easy protein. Creating dried beef chips at home is cost-effective and a simple process. They can also be jazzed up with a multitude of spices and flavors, for the plain meat is a good medium for experimentation.

Trim off any excess fat on the edges of the meat to prevent future spoilage.

2 Place the beef chuck in the freezer for 20 minutes, to slightly freeze it.

3 Set the meat on the cutting board and slice it so it is less than 1/4-inch thick.

4 Mix the marinade and beef, and place it in the skillet. Set the pan on the stove at medium-high heat. Simmer the meat for five minutes.

5 Remove the meat and place it on the paper towels to drain the marinade off.

6 Arrange the strips evenly around the racks of the dehydrator, making sure none of the pieces touch.

7 Turn the dryer on according to manufacturer's instructions.

8 Dry for three hours and then check the meat to see if is dry and cracks. This means it is done. If the meat breaks, it is over-dried.

9 Store in an airtight container for two weeks

Read more: Homemade Dehydrated Chipped Beef

www.ehow.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
Can someone tell me what Chipped Beef is - with a description? What do you do with the beef once it is chipped?Thank you.

Much Peace...

Pressed/salted (air)dried beef. It is used in breakfast dishes.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

I don't want to be a depression era starvation statistic
ontariograsses.com...

here is a good site for my part of the world re grasses
Phragmites

ontariograsses.com...

“Cossack asparagus” is traditionally the young shoots from Common Cattail (Typha latifolia), but it’s very close to the Phragmites shoots we collected Monday. And like asparagus, one of the best recipes is the simplest. A little boiling, butter, salt, and pepper. I’m not going to make a fancy recipe because there’s little need. It’s is just good. More importantly though, the easier it is, the more people might try it.
ontariograsses.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I love milk toast my mom use to make it for me for breakfast she added cinnamon sugar to it so it was always a hit with me..Ive had everything on the ops list ..I would have no problem living on Depression Meals plus there are so many good things to eat right in your own back yard or in the woods like yummy morel mushrooms
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
when you're starving all's fair. including fido and whiskers.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
Well here is what happened to the people who didn't couldn't wouldn't not even on a plate sam I am

7 million Industrial (city), 5 million rural, particularly farmers. When the unemployment rate rose to over 19%, within a year it's estimated a combined total of close to 12 million Americans died from starvation

wiki.answers.com...

personally I have found there are some very good choices of very nutritious, easy to find and TASTY wild foods.
the local Iroqois were known as bark eaters...

Ekk, that was like 9% of the US population. If that happened again, it would be like almost 30 million Americans dieing of starvation.

So in reality, the bankers already killed more American's then every single American war and terrorist attacks combined.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by cdnutz44
Another thing that I don't see many people talk about.....GRITS!!!

I like them with butter, my wife and daughter like a bit of milk and sugar with them.....and they make a great dinner with some shrimp if you happen to live near the coast. They store well and a little goes a long way, much like rice!

Yes! Haven't had those in a long time. Thanks for reply, now figured what I was missing on my food storage list (lol)!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I wouldnt have an issue eating any of that to survive, infact I think that is some pretty respectable survival food.
Some of it I have already eaten as a kid when times were not so good.

Hell, infact I would even go as far as eating fecies or drinking urine if it ment more sustinance and therefore survival - just because something else doesnt need certain nutrients doesnt mean my body cant make use of them. Only the strongest with the most will power survive the toughest situations.

If times were that tough I would literally eat just about any insect, larvae or roadkill. Dont go dying around me because Ill turn you in to a 3 course meal (I am not joking - I would not enjoy it but I wouldnt hesitate).

After all survial being a plesent experience is a relatively new phenomenom.

edit on 30-12-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I wouldn't fare very well I'm afraid,lol

I loathe any beans except green beans...mayo , to me , is the most foul thing ever invented...the rest I could stomach but I LOVE chipped beef on toast , we call it Sh#t on a shingle...dried beef , white sauce , toast=heaven.
BUT...in the event of a Red Dawn type scenario or the like I would eat nearly anything to survive.....stock those spices too!!! That would help a lot

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
A big thank you to Danbones and dreamingawake for the lesson and instruction on chipped beef.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

bankers said they wanna get rid of 85 percent of us bags of mostly water
starvation is a dependable way to do this and control the remainder.
I think that is a very good point to make

then the US was mostly rural..folk who knew something about living off the land
now we have almost NO rural folk and very few elders and our resource base is dwindling

you'll want to come early for dinner
peace

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Pretty interesting list. Nothing really took me by surprise, but I admit I also had no clue what Milk Toast was and I had to look it up. It seems there are some variations to the recipe, some include powdered sugar for instance. This one I found seems to be the cheapest and easiest.

1 1/2 c. milk
2 slices bread
Butter, sugar, and nutmeg

Butter the bread. Put in heavy skillet over medium heat and toast until light to medium brown. Heat milk in small pan on low heat. Do not boil. Put toast in plate, sprinkle good with sugar, and a couple dashed of nutmeg. Pour hot milk over toast. Good. Superb for when you are ill or have no appetite or upset stomach. We mothers even found it especially helpful for our children to forget their hurts, even skinned knees.

Things like road kill, squirrel, gopher, dandelion salads or lard sandwiches are all things I have heard of previously. In my late teens I found myself spending a lot of time with old people who were around during the depression and ww2 era. Through our conversations and my fascination with history I heard of many of these things. I love old people, you can learn so much from them. It really is a shame our culture does not revere old people and instead we treat them as a burden.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I've eaten the chipped beef on toast and the cucumber sandwiches. When I was young and my parents didn't have a lot of money, we ate potato sandwiches. There were usually boiled potatoes in the fridge, we'd slice them, put mayonnaise and mustard on the bread, a little sliced onion, salt and pepper to taste. I love potato sandwiches.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I'm not a Depression era kid, but raisedby them, so I remember creamed tuna on toast, salmon patties (from canned salmon), French toast, oatmeal, biscuits, biscuit sandwiches (the best ever), graham cackers in milk (my uncle would do soda crackers in buttermilk), the like.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
digitalcommons.unl.edu...

www.google.com... with+no+food&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=s&gs_upl=58920l59398l0l62277l2l2l1l0l0l0l87l87l1l1l0

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I would eat...

mustard and onion sandwich
toast with mashed potatoes (gravy on top)
beans
One eyed sam (piece of bread with fried egg in the middle)

I would not eat...

Lard sandwich...ugh!...

Now...during our time...beans and brown rice...vegan split pea soup...vegan lentil soup...
those foods are healthy and will keep a person alive

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join