It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do We Really Only Use a Portion of Our Brains?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I've heard this claim many times in my life. Even Einstein said that if we used 100% of our brains, we wouldn't need our bodies. I'm curious as to what the science is behind this claim. Is it simply a myth or is there actually a scientific basis for this theory?
I've also heard that we are the only species on Earth with this condition. Is that true?
I ask these questions because one of my favorite History channel programs is Ancient Aliens, and a few of the commentators presented these claims as facts.
If it is true and you believe that aliens had something to do with it, would you consider this a limitation... or a gift?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
The immediate reply that came to me was that most people use NONE of their brains.

Yes, get past the brainwashing (stuff you parents inflicted on you - then school etc) and we would have the power to think properly.

But because we are simply herded by powerful people, we have lost the will to use our brains.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Short answer: BS!!

We use our brain 100%. Maybe the conscious part is taking up 10% of the overall process but as a whole we use our brain 100%.

Peace

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
100% of our brain is used or we wouldn't of evolved to have it. the myth is based on only 10% is used at once.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Personally, I think that there's just no way that we only use a fraction of our brains.

The human body is a very efficient biological machine.

What else do you have that you don't need?

The human brain is ~ 3 Lbs. It's kept high up in our bodies and encased inside of bone for protection. It's 100% important to our survival. Damage to small parts can kill instantly.

However, It's an amazing fact that traumatic injury such as Gabrielle Giffords can heal and leave the person relatively intact.

I don't think conventional science understands 10% of what's going on in our brains.

My beliefs include additional "spiritual" components which work in concert with our "physical" bodies. The "main stream" science can't even explain or admit to psychic phenomenon which most people have experienced first hand at one time or another. That alone should be proof the we ain't as smart as we think we are.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I think we use the whole thing....just not at one time. I would think it constantly adjusts to what is needed in the split second you need it. Not 100% at a time but no part goes unused.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

remove 90% of your brain and find out......

Peace

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
brain like a speaker box. all the parts are being used by you can turn the volume up.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I think 10% of the brain is used for body function, the rest is what makes "you" up.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
You guys should do some research.

Here's a map of your brain, notice the Pineal Gland:
www.crystalinks.com...
Forget the source of the map, it's a good map.

Add the Amygladya:
www.sciencedaily.com...
Hit the search button on interpretations of what they do. Or don't, do a search.

Your brain SHOULD have more room for improvement.

Maybe not.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
I think 10% of the brain is used for body function, the rest is what makes "you" up.

Actually it's the other way around.

This is the conscious you:

This is the unconscious you:

Biggest joke your mind is playing on you is making you believe the conscious mind is the most important, after all it's the one we are most aware of...

Peace

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

What I meant is the conscious and unconscious are in the 90% part, while what regulates breathing, heart beats etc, is in the 10%.

But your analogy was cool!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Wonderful analogy.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Did people really believe like 90% of our brain was "locked" or "shut down"? I never thought that. I always thought we use all of it of, but like 10% was the focus or consciousness and that it was possible to expand that focus through other means. Cause if you think about it, if we were 100% of consciousness we'd pretty much know everything we've learned at all times and wouldn't have "brush up" on things. Such a brain would be nice to have. So that's how I've always looked at it.
edit on 30-12-2011 by Mizzijr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

It's not true, these studies were false and only claim we use 20% of our brains, because the tests relied on cat scans that only recorded one portion of the brain being used at a time (we only use certain parts of our brain when needed) more recent tests have concluded that we do use all of our brain, but not all at once.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I believe it is because we are not just confined to this one dimention, we have other versions of our selves that is closed off from us but we somehow still interact in ways we do not realise in the spiritual realm. Because of Sin and being and man being cast out from Eden our perceptions have narrowed down while out there is a different realm closed from us because we are no longer innocent, but only through death we will connect back up from it.
Just going by faith and logic of other theories trying to explain it.
edit on 31-12-2011 by The time lord because: (no reason given)

top topics

join