What is this on Antarctica?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I recently got a a new iPAD and have spent countless hours on Google Earth. I have not been on Google Earth for a while so I was surprised to see how far the technology has come. I was surprised by the sharpness so I decided to scan the surface of the planet for a couple days.

Today I found a crazy anomaly on the icy continent that I would like to share.

To me, the buildings almost look like trailers connected to each other. However, that is not what I found interesting (I'm sure there are random scientific research pod left behind. So I am not ruling that out for the buildings.

But then I saw these.

They looked to me at first as rock formations protruding from the snow. But at a closer look the tails of the rocks (or whatever they are) sort of sway back and forth. Even stranger, these formations have followers.

They seem to be older and equally frozen in time. But what are they?

Here is a picture of all of them.

And here is a picture of the whole scene, photographed at the coordinates: 71 40 27 S 2 48 46 W

The craziest thing is that it is from the height of 8,700 feet above the anomalies.

Anyone out there have a logical explanation for this? Would be appreciated.

AAC
edit on 30-12-2011 by AnAbsoluteCreation because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Thats some SUPER WIERDNESS you found there.....

maybe it very near some underground base opening??

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

They looked to me at first as rock formations protruding from the snow. But at a closer look the tails of the rocks (or whatever they are) sort of sway back and forth. Even stranger, these formations have followers.

They sway back in forth is from the wind drifting snow to one side or another depending on the direction of the wind.

As for what it is.......honestly.......I don't have a clue.

Interesting.

Good find....S+F

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

Good stuff.....do you have the co-ordinates so we can all look?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Coordinates are on the post.

AAC

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Very cool find !
Will wait to hear if others ave run across this.
Has that, just right amount of uniformity, to make
you take a 2nd look. And, we know of no civilizations
that have called Antartica home.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
When I read Google Earth (before your pics were posted) I was ready to spit out the old tired ''google earth glitch'' as many states still have gaps everywhere. But this IS very interesting. I simply don't know what that is. good find S&F

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Very interesting find!

I suspect they are frozen snow sperm, you can see the tracks from their tails from swimming through the snow. I suspect the second group is following closely behind to ensure survival of the species.

Seriously that is a neat find, I looked as closely as I could and my best guess was trailers, the waves in the snow the result of high winds and the troughs from the trailers being towed into place. That or it is the edges of a giant space ship that is secretly being excavated........

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Great find. Looks very similar to some weird topographical features I saw in some images in/on the Planet Mars' dunes. Somebody know what I mean? The images on Mars looks like something popped up just under the surface and seem to travel distances near the surface, and line up at a ridge or crevice for water or some other sustenance? I'd post the Mars images for comparison if I could find them easily. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Thanks for posting OP. I wish ATS would make an app or update their mobile site so that the pictures show. Then I wouldnt have to book a seat and visit again on my PC evey time.

From what I know there is quite a few established research stations there. Then again, there is also a great number of mysteries and anomalies coming from that area.

Not to mention that apparent wikileaks cable stating that TPTB are aware of ET movement/presence/whatever since 2004.

Antartice = weird.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
They look like pods of some kind, like the space ball things od Dragon Ball Z.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Reply to post by Monkeygod333

...and I also cannot edit...

*AntarticA

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
It is the Sarie Marais IV Base operated by South Africa.

edit on 12/30/2011 by staple because: adapic

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I am just guessing,

but i have reason to believe this is an antenna array, probably long-wave radio for communicating with submarines.

It's something artificial, and you can see tracks going to the units..from that barracks/station in the back.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Not sure about google earth, but at maps.google.com, there is a "photo" selection to let you see if anyone has taken a photo at that location.
Somebody has.

Here is a cropped screencap of that picture...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
edit on 30-12-2011 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by staple

Base Opened Location Notes
SANAE I 1962 70°18′S 2°22′W
Borga Field Bas1969 350 kilometres (220 mi) south of SANAE I
SANAE II 1971 70°18′S 2°22′W
SANAE III 1979 70°18′S 2°22′W Buried under snow[1]
Sarie Marais Field Base1979 200 kilometres (120 mi) south of SANAE III
SANAE IV 1997 72°40′22″S 2°50′26″W

Wiki Article

The last ones coordinates is very close to what the OP gave.

I think this member got it right, so i think the mystery is solved.

vvv

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
but i have reason to believe this is an antenna array,

This would be the thing to the lower left, I suppose.
Anyway, at the website for this base, there is a picture of this array.

sanap

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
No worries.

It's the Space Nazi's freezing their b*lls off.

Maybe they'll fly away.

Kidding, good find, even if it's nothing.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Hoping to beat Phage on this.

On Mars and on Earth these are called Yardangs

Very strange features created by wind erosion. But in this case it could be some manmade features helping to make the yardangs. Cool find, I have found many like this on Mars too! Freaked me out at first glance till you understand that different weather patterns create this effect with wind blowing in different directions.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join