It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nostalgia Buffs..@look@

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
My Uncle Oscar and i were chating tonight over a cup of coffee and he brought up the subject of when he was a young and the things he did like walking 3 miles to school each day..

And how he biked all over the neighborhood and building forts and going to and from different peoples backyards, and none of the parents seemed to worry about this.

Now its seems homicides are national news, other crimes - like beatings, muggings etc..are local or reginal news..

He also was telling me his mom would kick him out of the house by 8AM and he didnt have to come home till lunch time..And after a fight you usually shook the other guys hand and became friends.Now we have murder, kidnappings, drive-bys..

Nowadays you always hear of random shots, especially down in the city's or about children aductions, you can't trust anything anymore. its a scary place out
there..

He was also saying that he doesnt see parents demonstrating the tendency to teach their children good morals and values much anymore. And, this tendency towards the lack of instruction of core values is just one of many glaring signs of the "Decline of Empire" that America is currently immersed in i also have to add my uncle Qscar has never been one to not hold back whats on his mind to anyone..

My hope is the streets will be safe once again someday just like they were when he was a child. Every child deserves to feel safe, at least.

Do you rember being able to let your kids play outside after dark? Or take a walk after midnight becuse you couldnt sleep or not getting shot for the clothes your wearing..Or never locking your doors and shuting down your windows?

Peace and love,sugarcookie1 stars for all

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

I'm only 32 and i've already noticed this sort of thing, i was noticing this kind of thing when i was in my early 20's

The worst thing i had to witness as i was growing up was Australia's youth abandoning Australian culture in favour of American culture... you think rich white American kids trying to act like they are black rappers from the ghetto's is annoying and ridiculous then add an Australian accent and you'll truly know the meaning of pathetic and laugh-worthy.

Ali-G had nothing on these kids... seriously.

If you said Yo Yo when i was a kid you'd be talking about a small circular toy on a string.......

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Ahhh those were the days....

playing with my sister in the backseat of my father's car with no safetybelts on while dad was smoking a cigaret.

Childproofing? We could open any medicine bottle or other hazardous liquid if we could reach it.

Bicycle helmets were only for "special children".

etc. etc.

It's a miracle we survived!!

Peace

PS: Supernanny?? When we didn't behave it was resolved with a super a$#whoopin'.....

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

Thanks for posting Raivan31
I think i was brought up in a box i was born in the country and lived all my life there on a farm..
That must have been sad to see Australia's youth abandoning Australian culture for American culture to pretend to be rappers i probley would have found it laughable and silly but thats how kids are and there still doing all these things to be like there peers..
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Great post operation mindcrime..It is a miracle you survived those days but what a great time to grow up i wish i could have experienced that kind of freedom growing up i was always watched like a hawk and not allowed to do much i envy you..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

That was hilarious. I remember my grandfather had a station wagon, and my brother and I would be in the back making faces drivers, no seat belts, and never a collision, even though my aunts would say that my granddad drove like Chevy Chase in Vacation

I grew up in the South Bronx in the 80's
I lived and so did everyone around me, we played in abandoned buildings, and there was no one to kidnap us, because everyone was getting high. Watching kids play double dutch in the street at 10 at night on the weekend, and the pump (hydrant) open all summer long.

We would have block parties and the guys would hook up their music to the street lamp after breaking into it.

And we would be playing all night and chasing each other on the fire escapes..... wait! That was dangerous, but we had fun, and you can tell who grew up where as adults, because everyone has at least one giant gash on one of their knees/elbows/chin/ or forehead from falling down.

I have mine from playing in the pump, and getting chased, then fell on a huge piece of glass

Those we the days!!! Thanks for bringing those memories back

Peace, NRE.

BTW, I wanted to add that I was a tom-boy through and through, played hand ball like a champ! and any other sport, so I wasn't treated to girly, but always had fun

edit on 30-12-2011 by NoRegretsEver because: to add

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver

That was hilarious. I remember my grandfather had a station wagon, and my brother and I would be in the back making faces drivers, no seat belts, and never a collision, even though my aunts would say that my granddad drove like Chevy Chase in Vacation

I grew up in the South Bronx in the 80's
I lived and so did everyone around me, we played in abandoned buildings, and there was no one to kidnap us, because everyone was getting high. Watching kids play double dutch in the street at 10 at night on the weekend, and the pump (hydrant) open all summer long.

We would have block parties and the guys would hook up their music to the street lamp after breaking into it.

And we would be playing all night and chasing each other on the fire escapes..... wait! That was dangerous, but we had fun, and you can tell who grew up where as adults, because everyone has at least one giant gash on one of their knees/elbows/chin/ or forehead from falling down.

I have mine from playing in the pump, and getting chased, then fell on a huge piece of glass

Those we the days!!! Thanks for bringing those memories back

Peace, NRE.

BTW, I wanted to add that I was a tom-boy through and through, played hand ball like a champ! and any other sport, so I wasn't treated to girly, but always had fun

edit on 30-12-2011 by NoRegretsEver because: to add

Another great post NoRegretsEver! Wow what fun you had playing in the pump (hydrant) during the summer must have been a blast! All you did was a bit dangerous but what fun ..The block party sounded like a great time music and i bet dancing
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Come on ATS buffs lets hear your story's the world wants to know

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Hi cookie!
Uncle Oscar is right on all accounts. I grew up in the 50's
in a mill town in the Mon Valley near Pittsburgh. We would be out
all day in the summertime from 7 AM, check in for lunch and back out
until the old man came home from work for dinner, back out again until
the "street lights came on". Throw a baseball glove over the handlebars
of the bike and go to the ballfield for a pickup game of baseball or softball.
Someone would bring along one cracked bat held together with black electrical
tape or white surgical tape and a baseball or a softball with the stiching falling out.
The bike was an extremely vital mode of transportation. We would get a card from
the old mans deck and attach it to the frame of the bike and when the wheel spokes
hit the card it would make this loud flapping sound. No helmets,no knee pads.
We also had cap guns. Didnt have to wear safety glasses or ear plugs.
No locked doors,no locked cars, people respected each other in those days.
If you stepped out of line you paid a price for your actions. Justice was swift.
You where held accountable. I feel for the generations that never had the freedom
of movement that we had back then. It was a simpler time and we didn't need much.
Cut a few lawns, do some chores around the house or neighborhood and get some
pocket change for the next B sci-fi movie that would be coming out soon or maybe
buy that model of the B52 from the hobby shop and glue it together. It's an era that
is gone forever. To bad. It was the greatest of times.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 43LEO729

Hiya Leo, I knew you would make a great post you always do
I never had that kind of freedom growing up i wish i would have ..Going outside for me was in a chain link fence thats were you played and rode your bike and had friends over my parents were always scared id be kidnapped and i had to check in every so often and i can rember my mom hanging at the window to make sure i was still in the yard..
You grew up in a time i wish i could have freedom and peace of mind you had a great childhood full of fun and excitement...peace,sugarcookie1

join