It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man, 99, divorcing wife of 77 years over affair in the 1940s...SAY WHAT!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Boy, if this don't beat all I ever heard. A 99 year old Italian man was obviously extremely serious when he said his vows. Forget about "until death do us part", this guy wants out of his 77 year marriage after finding some old letters his wife had been keeping for over 50 years.

After 77 years of doing probably everything together, I guess he just can't take it

Italian couple set to become the world's oldest divorcees. A 99-year-old Italian man is divorcing his 96-year-old wife after discovering that she conducted an affair in the 1940s, reports the Telegraph.

Link

Seriously....this is a sad story and one that I thought I would never read about.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Aww this is really a sad story and makes it even sadder that at such an elderly age he is choosing to break the ties that both of them had. I really don't know what else to say to this

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Morals and Principles.After 77 years he still has them. Sad,but thumbs up to anyone sticking to them.

Besides,their could have been more affairs,he doesnt know about.

S&F

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I don't see the issue.

Living with a liar for 50 years is mentally abusive.

If his wife cheated on him he is entitled to leave her.

Sad or otherwise.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

She broke those ties, and built a life on a lie. Good for him for respecting himself, I mean she kept the letters how disrespectful is that ? He is elderly with a broken heart, and she is an elderly ho bag, with no feelings of guilt considering the keeping of the letters.

Good example of someone not settling for being someone else's doormat, I will be showing this to all posters that are suffering because of a cheating partner, hopefully it gives them strength to break their ties with their abusers.
edit on 29-12-2011 by DrunkNinja because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Sounds like this tore him up pretty good.
Poor guy, she should have torn those
letters up a long time ago - seems she
still has an attachment to them. Sad!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The old guy probably has dementia and his mind is reverting back to the time when he was emotionally hurt. People with dementia do and say some crazy things. My mother is 90 with dementia and thinks her mother is still living when she passed away back in 1978!

I don't know if any court or attorney would take this guy seriously at his age.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I have to say that no one wins in this one.

I would have normally said "dude stick it out", but after being lied to for this long, has got to be a HUGE blow for him. And she has to be alone after being married for this long, I wonder is she even remembered?

Its not like there is a long line for men in there 90's to find someone to cheat with to get back at her, and based on how he reacted I doubt he would have wanted to.

I wish him the best!

This goes to show that hurt is hurt, and if you arent prepared to deal with the consequences, DON'T DO IT!!!

Peace, NRE.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Bravo sir, this man is a true romantic. Far from I, Rasputin.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Not necessarily true.

My Grandfather remembers EVERYTHING.

This is about right and wrong,and sticking to vows,that he took seriously.

He has deep convictions,that I applaud. His wife mocked those vows,by having an affair,and keeping the letters.

Any Judge will grant him a divorce,especially with proof of infidelity.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Yeah, I guess you all are right. I just think that we all should practice the art of "Forgiveness" no matter how old we are. I understand that his wife may have broken her promise, but I mean WOW...after 77 years, I would forgive her and let a 50 year old by gone be a by gone. I feel bad for both of them...it's really very sad.

Just my $0.02

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

But shouldn't this man consider forgiving her?

ETA:
Also, think about it....77 years he must have been happy with his wife (errr.....or maybe not). That means something doesn't it?
edit on 12/29/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
This here folks imo of course. Is a classic case of strong principals.

You see the time gap ment nothing. When he found out it was like it was yesterday .It takes alot to even consider a devorce at that age , and for him to do so , so fast shows how strong those principals were.

Regardlesss of the time spent , the heart was ripped out recently.

Perhaps after a while when he cools he will go calm down and back . But maybe not.

Me personally i would've gave her a special exception go card for this one because of the hstory , and made her promise something really important back that i could "credit " in anytime ! lol

But she was quite and never told and hid it so long . So thats another charge. To the many

If i never cheated a day on her for that many years ! and she does , is another slap in the face.

But maybe he cheated a few

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Well, shoot. Good for him. Stick by your guns and what not. I would think that if the marriage had been happy for that long he would forgive her, but I'm not going to denounce him for taking those vows seriously.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

I think any court would entertain his claim...IMO, I would be more worried about the two of them dying of broken hearts. I mean 77 years together

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

We dont know if this happened before. Maybe it did and he turned a blind eye to it. Maybe this was the pushing point. Regardless,vows are to be taken seriously. Affair,and forgiveness......maybe. Keeping a token from it,Hell no.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I assuming you are a woman, just want to know if you'd feel the same way if the gender tables were turned. What if you were in that situation and your man had cheated those many many years ago? Would you be that hurt, that you might think that all those years were basically a lie? Just want to hear it from that perspective.

link   
Woulnt want to go threw a divorce at that age..to much trouble for one...The problem is if the woman is over the man she had a affair with then why are there still letters..Where they just packed away and forgotten or does she still look at them..I personally think that he should forgive her...they have been now threw it all..it took all these years to get threw it all..so savior the rest that you have with each other..
Just my opinion

link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

We dont know if this happened before. Maybe it did and he turned a blind eye to it. Maybe this was the pushing point. Regardless,vows are to be taken seriously. Affair,and forgiveness......maybe. Keeping a token from it,Hell no.

I see your point about keeping the relics...I guess maybe I don't know how I would react if it were to happen to me, but I would like to think I would forgive my husband.

Who really knows though huh, unless it happens to you. My husband and I have been together for 20 years and if he did this to me right now, I can't really say how I would react. Honestly, I'd like to think I would forgive him. But, I guess it depends on the circumstances.

I'll tell you one thing though, this story really makes me think about life and the art of forgiving or letting go.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by wtbengineer

I assuming you are a woman, just want to know if you'd feel the same way if the gender tables were turned. What if you were in that situation and your man had cheated those many many years ago? Would you be that hurt, that you might think that all those years were basically a lie? Just want to hear it from that perspective.

You know, I can't really say honestly. I don't know how I would feel. I'm sure I would be hurt and probably devastated...but other than those two emotions, I'm not sure that I would be quick to assume that my husbands 77 year marriage to me was a lie.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join