It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Longtime ATS Poster, But I Am Not A Conspiracy Theorist! Are You?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I am not a conspiracy theorist
To me ATS is not even a conspiracy theory website
The reason for this is perception of course
I only frequent certain sections on ATS and really despise the prophecy section
I am a skeptic quite simply

But I mention perception because those that I debate with on this site, a majority of them are not members that I would label conspiracy theorists either
In fact I would go so far as to say conspiracy theorists on ATS represent a minority
Most especially in the top members section

So I was wondering, how many here consider themselves as conspiracy theorists instead of just Skeptics like me
People who strongly believe in critical thinking and skepticism, even being skeptic about opposition groups to the establishment as opposed to blindly following them

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I do not consider myself a conspiracy theorist, often times I get a laugh out of such things. For me it is politics (and the people) that keep me here. Sure, I did join for the conspiracy theories but then got stuck in politics and have never left. Basically my views are mostly cynical, more so than even skeptical.
edit on 12/29/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I think it all depends on your definition. For me personally:

I'm a conspiracy theorist because I don't believe half of what I'm told and most of what I read.
I'm a conspiracy theorist because my superiors seem to have an agenda.
I'm a conspiracy theorist because I live outside the proverbial box which society wishes to contain me in.
I'm a conspiracy theorist because I see organized religions having a divided, not a divine result.
I'm a conspiracy theorist because I believe in things that aren't taught in school.
I'm a conspiracy theorist because I'm a free, independent and critical thinker
and most of all, I'm a conspiracy theorist because I am the black sheep of the herd. For which, I am thankful.
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I originally joined this site for conspiracy... but i've found more interesting forums to waste my time here

And i remain Below Top secret

The world is a conspiracy!!!

I just don't seem to care anymore

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
How about this ?

conspiracy hypothesist = the loons

conspiracy theorists = skeptics?

Im with you on the skeptic part

p.s

akragon your avatar scares me

edit on 29-12-2011 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourboycal2
p.s

akragon your avatar scares me

edit on 29-12-2011 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

His avatar scares you? So, um... what about your avatar?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Quite a few conspiracy "theories" have later proven to be conspiracy facts.

I have to admit, I'm a bit confused by you lumping people as either conspiracy theorists or critical thinking skeptics. In my opinion, they are one and the same.

To wholly swallow official stories that can easily be picked apart by critical thinking is something I refuse to do. Thinking critically and examining all the evidence which can be found is essential in today's confusing world of lies, conspiracies, and sometimes weird coincidences. Sometimes people go off on weird tangents with ideas, but I consider that to be nothing more than examining all the possible angles.

Take the "official" story of Osama Bin Laden's death this past May. The official story stinks to high heaven, and I am amazed at how many people took the bait hook, line and sinker. Do you believe that Lee Harvey Oswald was a lone nut assassin? Do you believe that RFK was shot by a lone nut named Sirhan Sirhan? If so, then you haven't done any research on it. Do you refuse to believe in ESP because science hasn't developed a way to test it? Science is only as good as its current technology, and has many failings, the biggest one being the manipulation of junk science to influence people's ideas, usually for the benefit of only a few. Beware of those who claim to do the thinking for you.

But if you must pigeon hole me into a stereotype, you can feel free to call me a conspiracy theorist, and I will call you a coincidence theorist. No hard feelings, though. It takes all kinds.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

ModernAcademia

I am your father!!!

Now that would change your opinion!!

Personally I try to look at all angles and make the most of the information I can get. That is all you can do with something if you are unsure. Labels are labels, its all just a lot of nonsense to me, it does not matter as most of us are different depending on the topic.

Your Avatar speaks volumes though.
edit on 29-12-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Mine is elegant in a dark sense. If she had hair you would see what i mean

and your avatar is cool , reminds me of a friendly old man warm and welcoming

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Everyone in this thread except for me has scary avatars

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Used to be.

Until I realized how much BS is floating around out there.

What's even more funny is all the conspiracy prima donnas who think you're lesser than they are because you don't believe everything Alex Jones says, or worship the garbage put out by Russia Today.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ModernAcademia

I'm more of a conspiracy analist, I think. I need a topic to be interesting to me, so i visit few, but I'm hyper active when it grips..I love traeing them apart see how they're made, then try and peice them together innew, undersatndable angles..

new topics

top topics

join