It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Platoons wiped out during Gulf War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Hey,
Does anyone know of any casualties in the gulf war where entire platoons were wiped out. What i'm looking for a case in which an entire platoon was overwhelmed and everyone was lost. Perhaps something that was hidden under the table, or never made the news? -Thanks

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnCreed777

Nope the Iraqi's were way to shell shocked to function, even if they did have skills and they did not. They simply got their ass handed to them in a hat. Even early on small spec ops teams would sometimes get surrounded and still make it out with overwhelming air support.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Certainly not of platoon strength or greater
Hope this helps

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Check for the Medal of Honor winner that served in Iraq or Afghanistan. Something close to that happened to his platoon. That might get you looking in the right direction.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
OP: What nation's (or nations') troops are you referring to?

I do not know how the Iraqi armed forces were organized back then, however as has been posted previously in this thread, I would not be surprised if platoon-sized (or larger) elements of them were either completely destroyed, or were MIA after being attacked, and never heard from again.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnCreed777

Where did you hear this? The Iraqis were completely outgunned, outmanned,etc in every way-even the "fearless" Republican Guard were crapping in their pants like Girl Scouts-I think think we need some more info as to what incident you're referring to-your OP is kind of vague.....

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I am not sure if the OP is referring to "the Gulf War" in 1991, or the more recent conflict that has been referred to as "Gulf War II", leading to OEF.

A quick search found one news article from each conflict, where the US press said that an entire Iraqi unit (one of which was reportedly division-sized) was destroyed:

Gulf War I

Gulf War II

new topics

top topics

join