It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slime that can 'think' its way through a maze

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Amoeboid yellow slime mould might seem an unlikely candidate to become the basis of future 'bio computers', but scientists in Japan say that the mould shows unlikely signs of intelligence.

Colonies of the mould appear to be able to 'organise' themselves so that they take the most direct route through a maze to find food, while at the same time avoiding damage from light.

The mould even appears to be able to 'remember' dangers and avoid them.

Toshiyuki Nakagaki, of Future University Hakodate told AFP, 'Simple creatures can solve certain kinds of difficult puzzles. If you want to spotlight the essence of intelligence, it's easier to use these simple creatures.'

The slime moulds are not intelligent as we understand it, but by flexibly responding to stresses such as light, and adapting, they are able to solve navigation problems that would baffle computers.

The mould cells appear to operate as a 'network' that can even remember when they experienced stresses and dangers, and adapt.

These primitive networks could be the key to building a new generation of biological computers, say researchers.

Nakagaki has already demonstrated that the moulds can 'design' a railway network similar to Tokyo's by using this primitive navigation system - research which won him the Ig Nobel prize in 2010.

Source dailymail.co.uk

Atsushi Tero, from Kyushu University, southern Japan, who conducted the research, believes that the intelligence skills possessed by slime mould networks could potentially be used in the future design of transport systems or electric transmission lines.

"Computers are not so good at analysing the best routes that connect many base points because the volume of calculations becomes too large for them," he said.

"But slime moulds, without calculating all the possible options, can flow over areas in an impromptu manner and gradually find the best routes.”

Source telegraph.co.uk

Well this is something totally new to me , intelligent slime?

Im not quite sure what the practical applications of this stuff might be but its certainly interesting. I guess it slightly lowers our expectation of exactly what could be called intelligent life.

edit on 29-12-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

thats amazing something with no real brain can think for itself, it seems the more we evaluate life the smarter even the most basic lifeforms seem

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I would really like to know whats this slime is made of...

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
A collective hive intelligence....amazing bio entity.

TY for posting this

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

This tells you a little more about what it is made from ect and other factors,

But i had a good few (Whoosh over my head) moments while reading it,

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by connorromanow
reply to post by PhoenixOD

thats amazing something with no real brain can think for itself

Have you seen the class of politicians lately?

Not saying they're slime but...

But...This is actually quite incredible. My guess is an instinctual strive for open space that leads it through. Water will follow the path of least resistance so maybe this acts on the same principle but with instinct.

And then again, I might be blowing bubbles...

Peace

edit on 29-12-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
dbl post....
edit on 29-12-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join