It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Christianity Really Brainwashing?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimnuggits
reply to post by MrsBlonde

Ever heard of a little thing called the 'Inquisition'?

How about 'missionary work'?

The 'Crusades' ring a bell?

This is why people get so irate at Christians and Christianity in general, you seem to have no ability to recollect the horrors of that which your Church does in the name of 'Yahweh.'

I actually think the same thing every time I hear some folks bring up muslim extremist. I mean, how do you qualify using christianity as a standard to attach an entire group of people for the threat of very few. Especially when those few will tell you honestly they did not do half of what they are accused of.
I have no desire to justify either faith in harming each other.

But I refuse to attack everyone in a faith for the acts of a few or many. They are not all the same. They are all human however. And I can hope we all figure it out together. No harm in that.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

reply to post by chocise

Then I guess you could say that Christianity has never done anything wrong, since, the whole religion is just words on a page.

It's more than that.

Too bad we can't go back and tell all the people who were murdered in Jesus' name that they should rejoice in Christianity, since it was people who killed them, not the religion.

Yes indeed, you're getting there, well done.

Totally Bogus argument.

No it isn't, its a totally consistent argument.

and to answer a previous post of yours, yes, you are personally responsible – we all are. But you could never accept that responsibility because it frightens you.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
reply to post by wildtimes

There are so many resources for people who want to know these things. Why are Catholics so bent on "dismissing" it?

There are many false resources wildtimes.. the devil is alive and well..and continues to thrive on this earth.

Padre Pio was a great man of God.. and much devoted to prayer and the conversion of souls. The devil does not like having souls taken away from him.. so he convinces some humans to work for his cause in trying to lie about others.

Padre Pio was no fraud.. and is indeed in heaven as you read this.. praying for your salvation and for your heart to be opened to the truth and Mysteries of the Holy Spirit.

edit on 30-12-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

Gabby those are sweeping statements. Now my own husband used to really like Padre Pio so I know who you're talking about. But to say that Padre Pio is praying for Wildtimes salvation and so on... come on. And that he is certainly in Heaven... you've seen him there? You've seen Heaven with your own eyes? Tell me exactly what it looks like Gabby. Did you and Padre Pio sit down at the Heavenly Starbucks and share a latte?

Yeah I know sound snotty but you making sweeping statements about things you couldn't possibly factually know. And I'm just showing it to you so you see. This is why people have such a problem talking to Christians. Things are thrown out willy nilly as absolute fact. Whats worse is that they are used to comment on another person's soul.

And btw things that aren't officially stamped by the Catholic Church doesn't mean they are all false.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoeteMaudit

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul

Science is finally beginning to prove my theories correct as we're learning more and more about time and space and the influence the mind has on reality..

Oh God, another layperson deluded by the pseudo-philosophy of the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics pushed by "popular science" publications. Science evidences no such thing.
edit on 30-12-2011 by PoeteMaudit because: (no reason given)

My definition was really diluted down so that it could be expressed in a way people could understand (language). I wouldn't argue it's a fringe science, but archaic minds have a hard time grasping conscious energy; it's like trying to get someone to think beyond "A tree is a tree and has no thoughts and no language", which we now know is false, but many refuse to agree with that idea for whatever reason. Maybe it threatens them in some way. Who knows why people argue with truth? Not too long ago there was a member on ATS who was adamant that the world was 6,000 years old. No amount of evidence could change his mind. Not 8,000 year old trees in Sweden, not 20,000 year old Venus sculptures, not fossils, nothing.
Studies have been conducted showing the mind's ability to alter the behavior of light particles. Peter Baksa had an article in the Huffington Post not too long ago (September?) discussing how the mind affects reality.
As I said, it's a fringe science, and scientists can be just as "religious" about their ideas as any Christian or , Judaic, or Islamic follower, but like all who can't argue with the soothing breath of truth, they're coming around.

edit on 30-12-2011 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Anytime you take a kid, who has both parents who are constantly taking them to church, and talking about god, OF COURSE this is brainwashing. The kid doesn't have a chance to think and decide for himself what he believes. Instead he follows in the footsteps of his parents, "because parents know best" and starts to create a foundation for himself based on christianity and god. Later when he becomes a man, he is unable to view life in such a drastically different way, as one would have to when looking at science and fact. To do so would mean that his entire foundation would be crumbled and he would have to redefine himself at an adult age. This is the main reason religion still persist on this planet. Because we brainwash our kids and we decide for them what is right and true. Now we've come to the point where, you can't become president unless you're a christian and you say god bless america. Some people are not worried about global warming, or any of the worlds problems for that matter because, "jesus will come back and save us". I'm sorry but IMHO if something like that were to happen, it would be put up by E.T.'s with the technology to produce such a thing, for whatever crazy reason they would have for doing so.
edit on 30-12-2011 by andersensrm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LunaKat

I'm hoping in the way that you hope that Christians will one day see that its all the same Goddess (or God or Great Spirit or Energy). And I'm also hoping that one day Christians will drop all the stuff they're clinging to that keeps people divided. Either that or in all honesty I'll cheer the day that Christianity bites the dust and is lost to history. Because its already starting to fall apart and its due to this inflexible unchanging religion with all its threats and hatred.

I'm so sorry you feel that way..and I only see love and justice in the messages of our Holy mother.

She is so full of love..and encourages love.. as well as respect and gratitude for what Christ has suffered for us.

Christianity will be under great persecution in the times ahead.. but please remember if you cheer when they are martyred and tortured ..that they will be with real divine love through out eternity.

Can you honestly say with all certainty that if Christianity was abolished from this world.. there would be no threats and no hate?

You only need to look around this world to see what abandoning faith in the love and salvation of Jesus has brought us.

I only need to see what abandoning my faith in Jesus and the messages of His mother has brought in my life... and it lead to nothing worthy or good.

I am grateful for the prayers of the faithful ..eternally grateful ..for their forgiving nature.. and for their continued hope for the salvation for lost souls.

link   

Originally posted by mfilicicchia

reply to post by MrsBlonde

Ever heard of a little thing called the 'Inquisition'?

How about 'missionary work'?

The 'Crusades' ring a bell?

This is why people get so irate at Christians and Christianity in general, you seem to have no ability to recollect the horrors of that which your Church does in the name of 'Yahweh.'

I actually think the same thing every time I hear some folks bring up muslim extremist. I mean, how do you qualify using christianity as a standard to attach an entire group of people for the threat of very few. Especially when those few will tell you honestly they did not do half of what they are accused of.
I have no desire to justify either faith in harming each other.

But I refuse to attack everyone in a faith for the acts of a few or many. They are not all the same. They are all human however. And I can hope we all figure it out together. No harm in that.

Ah, now here we will differ.

I suggest you read the Qu'ran. It is an eye opening experiencing. This book is not equivalent to the Bible in ideology, nor is it open-ended in its application. Reformers in this religion need to work very hard to try and reintrepret clear directives that are made as maximum standards, and which are resistant to reform.

link   

Originally posted by chocise

reply to post by chocise

Did Christianity 'turn the other cheek' when they delivered a halocaust to the Native Americans, those 'savage heathens', you so proudly display as your avatar?

Did they 'turn the other cheek 'when they burned women at the stake for understanding herbs?

Selective memory only works in the pews, my friend, not here.

Christianity delivered no halocast, people did. What part of that do you not understand?

Here's the problem with that arguement... if christianity was not the dominate religion at the time, the genocide commited against the native americans would not have occured. At that time you were given one choice, if you wern't a christian you either converted or you were the enemy. I will agree that towards the end it was all about land ownership, but in the begining it was souly about whether or not you were christian.

Look at the salem trials, christians even committed these acts against their own neibors. That's not even brining the inqusition into the conversation.

Christians have committed more hanious acts in the name of christianity than any other faith combined...to say christianity has commited none of these acts is ludacris and a spit in the face of the thousands of victims put to death under christ's name. Hell, we're still fighting your religious war for you 2000 years later and no matter how many different excuses we are gave for it, the whole world admits that's still what's going on.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaticDill

What I've noticed from people who defend Christianity is a fatally circular logic.

This book says it is holy, therefore it is holy because the Book says it is.

Why do none of you stop to think that any dogma that allows for the murder and oppression of anyone else with differing beliefs is a false teaching?

Do you honestly believe God would want you to kill? Or that an omniscient being would have such a petty emotion as jealousy?

If I were Satan, I would change your 'Holy Book' in increments, small and barely discernable. A word here, mistranslation there, and before too long, your totally blind to the truth. The fact that you cannot even entertain the idea that there are flaws in your 'Faith' is proof that this may well have happened.

I may have to revise my formerly held belief that Christianity is not brainwashing, because you are all proving that it is.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by chocise

Just like a good Christian to tell someone else what they are afraid of.

Huge assumption, since you do not know me.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by andersensrm
Anytime you take a kid, who has both parents who are constantly taking them to church, and talking about god, OF COURSE this is brainwashing. The kid doesn't have a chance to think and decide for himself what he believes. Instead he follows in the footsteps of his parents, "because parents know best" and starts to create a foundation for himself based on christianity and god. Later when he becomes a man, he is unable to view life in such a drastically different way, as one would have to when looking at science and fact. To do so would mean that his entire foundation would be crumbled and he would have to redefine himself at an adult age. This is the main reason religion still persist on this planet. Because we brainwash our kids and we decide for them what is right and true. Now we've come to the point where, you can't become president unless you're a christian and you say god bless america. Some people are not worried about global warming, or any of the worlds problems for that matter because, "jesus will come back and save us". I'm sorry but IMHO if something like that were to happen, it would be put up by

That may be true to some point.. but what about the kids..and there have been many who never have grown up with religious teachings of any kind ?

How do you explain when those adults feel the pull towards Jesus and his salvation.. ?

As Much as you say there is brainwashing to believe in god.. there is brainwashing to NOT believe in God... or brainwash you into believing what God is.

I believe God is real.. and sincerely knows the heart who searches for Him.

Others may not believe as I do.. but I only need to concern myself with what I have been shown and lead to in my search for truth.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
reply to post by LunaKat

I am currently of none. I do not have a religious concept that would be recognizable to most of the 7 billion people on this planet.

You want Christians to get it? Then tell them to read the Bible. They are not educated on the matter, and the solution is simple.

Now, the New Testament does indeed contradict or reform many of these concepts. Further, it doesn't have a limitation that many other religious concepts have, in that those laws/parables are not consider the final solution. Most of what can be considered general "laws" in it are minimum standards, and maximum limitations.
edit on 2011/12/30 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

the contradiction is, that although enki is present and accounted for in the old testament, basically speaking, he's usually not, that is, until the new testament. now if you've read the sumerian-akkadian texts, you know that enlil and enki had different approaches to the human race. this is what you are seeing when you read the bible. the ot is enlil centric, the nt is enki centric.

edit on 30-12-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

Well you must have a limited knowledge of UFO researchers know the difference between real events and Hoaxes and you saying I'm brainwashed because of my personal opionon often Existence of Aliens based on the Evidences I've uncovered is very immature and I wont shan't being talked down like that. If you want to continue this convo PM me.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jimnuggits

Why would any god want anything to do with us anyhow? If we think about the stuff we create, we create millions of bacteria everyday, however we don't care about them individually just as a whole when it affects us. My point is why would god, even recognize us, or care about us when he created the universe. If god created the universe, who created god? This is where it becomes clear that this can't really be true. The universe came from something else, probably something more like consciousness that evolved or stemmed from something simpler, and so on and so forth. I always think about the millions of dollars going to churches all across america tax free to provide for these opulent exquisite churches with all the bells and whistles. This money could be much better spent however it isn't. Why would god care about such an extravegant church, surely to him when taking into account his entire creation of the universe, these little churches would be no more interesting to him than, a floating piece of s**t the size of earth flying through the universe. Why are the pearly gates made of gold and pearls, why not out of wood and nails, or anything else. My point is that god wouldn't value anything more than anything else, since he created everything, and surely he wouldn't create something he didn't want. People value these things, and it is through people that we see where god comes from. God comes, and was created by us. Before we existed, there was no god. It's not just a matter that chritianity has no evidence, it is common sense that it was created and developed by people with a thirst for power, and so far it has worked beautifully in getting people to go to war, donate money, spread the faith, all while people think that they actually come up with this stuff themselves. Its one of the greatest examples of inception that I have seen.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

Padre Pio was no fraud.. and is indeed in heaven as you read this.. praying for your salvation and for your heart to be opened to the truth and Mysteries of the Holy Spirit.

Could be, yup. Or, could have already reincarnated as, say... a magician (more money, not such a thankless job).
(please, just a teeny-tiny bit of humor, please? Is that okay with you today?)

He may have been well-intentioned, please don't mistake my meaning (again): But WHY would he have to have "stigmata" to be taken as "special"? It surely must have hurt. Here is the answer, in my opinion:

The Catholic masses want supernatural things to happen so they feel better. So clever people give it to them, in the name of "saving" their souls. If they are that easily "persuaded" and will then tithe and fall to ther knees and revere those clever people -- God help them all! -- let's hope they are at LEAST well-intentioned, and not just greedy frauds.

(Unfortunately, the history of the Church says otherwise.)

My heart is already open. So is my mind.

That means that I can embrace research, and critical thinking (that means thinking for one's self and questioning the "rules", not having only criticizing thoughts).

So, this award-winning author is the devil? That's just too simple. I'm going with the pov that he is a serious scholar who is shedding light on the truth. Hmm, let's see....

Do I believe what gabby2011 tells me with such conviction while she refuses to hear other ideas and insists on calling everyone who disagrees a diabolic liar?

Or do I believe this Luzzatto guy, who is clearly interested in getting at the TRUTH, rather than just "believing" because he's too lazy to look into it or too frightened of finding out he was wrong. Uh, and probably was aware that people with a certain Catholic mentality would call him "the devil" and a "liar", and anyone who read his book and gave it some thought would also be "damned" and a "liar" for pointing a Catholic toward it.

...those are my choices?
Uh, TRUTH, please.
Whether it shatters my illusions or not...I'd like to know the TRUTH, and I know that someday I will. Meanwhile, I am free to look at all methods of practicing one-ness with the Divine, and choose the one that best represents my instinctual understanding of the great Mysteries. For me, the Catholic and exclusive Christian faiths aren't gonna cut it.

Thanks, though, for your concern, as ever.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

i'd take it a step further and suggest when it says in genesis to go forth and bring the earth under their dominion, it wasn't just talking about the other sentient life on the planet, but the entirety of life on the planet. et. al, it was the first obvious example of survival of the fittest and evolutionary thinking. see alien world? dominate alien world. lol

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LunaKat

Padre Pio prayed the rosary every day.. and sometimes all night..for souls.

I believe he is in heaven praying for all of us on this earth.. including you..me and wildtimes.. and everyone on this site.

I understand that because I believe it may not make it fact to you...but because you don't believe it.. does not mean it is in fact not true.

You ask me to prove this as fact?..well I ask you to prove to me it isn't fact.

Perhaps it's best to agree to disagree.

I wish you no malice or harm..

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LajanAytik
reply to post by autowrench

Found this on ATS somehwere. If its poster is on this thread... thanks

So, this is how it works…

Start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string, and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all the other monkeys with cold water.

After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result – all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm. Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth.

Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked. Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs, or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana. Why not? Because as far as they know, that’s the way it’s always been done around here.

You say there is a banana up some stairs? where dude I want that Banana

Excellent post dude can be used for so many things in life that one.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by andersensrm
reply to post by jimnuggits

Why would any god want anything to do with us anyhow? If we think about the stuff we create, we create millions of bacteria everyday, however we don't care about them individually just as a whole when it affects us. My point is why would god, even recognize us, or care about us when he created the universe. If god created the universe, who created god? This is where it becomes clear that this can't really be true. The universe came from something else, probably something more like consciousness that evolved or stemmed from something simpler, and so on and so forth.

I agree

Kind of like the arguement that nothing existed before the Big Bang. Then what created the energy for the Big Bang? The universe is ever-expanding, but expanding into what? That Origin Consciousness you speak of is very similar to what I believe. We're close to the same page.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

I totally concur.

Us truly understanding God, is like an ant understanding Middle east politics. It has not the synapses to even begin the task.

We have no ability to even begin to fathom such an all encompassing being, if such exists.

The certainty of religions are the very epitome of arrogance.

Especially when you take into account the endless massacres that occur in God's multifaceted name.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join