It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just when you're thinking there's too many laws and all hope is lost

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
In light of the NDAA and the DHS's "see something, say something" campaign, I thought I'd share my day's experience with everyone. I apologize in advance for it being a little lengthy, but please bear with me.

Today, like every day, I went for a walk in the park with my dog, which is an ACD Red Heeler. Although, this time, I'm also dog sitting another very large dog, which is a Husky/Malamute mix.

Before I get into the story, I'd like to add that the "regulars" (walkers, fishermen, kids) all know me and my dog. Everyone knows us to be quite friendly and pleasant. I take the same route every day along the railroad tracks then up on the boardwalk over the lake. It's a beautiful place to walk and I've been going here with my dog for well over a year. The people I've met and do meet are, usually, very nice. Although (here's the clincher) there is a sign before the boardwalk that says no pets allowed. Even so, nobody, including police officers, have ever given me an issue about having my dog on the boardwalk.

So, happily going about my business, the dogs and I begin our walk on the boardwalk. About a quarter of the way across, I hear a man behind me saying, "Excuse me, miss, did you see the sign back there?"
I knew what he was meaning, so I turned around smiling and said with a chuckle, "Oh, these aren't dogs. They're humans in disguise," and kept walking.

Well, he wasn't amused. Before I knew it, he was beside me asking me why I was above the law. I replied that I come down here everyday and nobody, including police officers, have ever given me a problem about having my dog on the boardwalk. He then gets really hot under the collar and calls me an habitual offender and proceeds to block my path. At this point, I'm trying to be as calm as possible while saying repeatedly like a broken record, "Carry on your way, sir," to which he screams, "F you!" as he took a step towards me. Well, my dog wasn't having none of this. As soon as this guy raised his voice and moved closer, my dog started barking at him. My dog never barks at anyone let alone pays anyone any attention, but he is very protective. So, the guy takes a few steps back and yells something about suing me if my "f'n" dog bites him. I told him that he didn't have any right to cuss at me and that he was upsetting my dog. At this point, he starts walking away while saying that he can talk to me however he wanted because I was a "law breaker".

The rest of the walk was pleasant and as I approached my vehicle, I see the guy standing across from where I'm parked with a couple of city enforcement employees. As I'm unlocking my car, he starts yelling, "There's the girl that's above the law! I bet you run red lights, too!" Well, I'd had about enough of him, so I yelled back something about not making generalizations about people. He then yelled that they had all the information they needed about me. Well, this really ticked me off and told him that that was fine and I'd appreciate it if he called Homeland Security on me, too. At this point, the city employees started walking away from the guy, while looking at me and shaking their heads. Seeing this, I just looked at the guy and told him to stop harrassing me and to go away. After a couple of minutes, he finally walked away, and I got into my car.

As I was putting on my seatbelt, I see the two city employees approaching my car, so I shut it off and opened my door. I started to apologize and say that I wouldn't have walked the dogs on the boardwalk if they were vicious, but the city workers cut me off and actually apologized to me for how the guy was treating me! They then told me that didn't take down any of my info and I wasn't going to get a fine. They also told me that they were both dog lovers and couldn't wait for that guy to leave. They then proceeded to strongly suggest that if that guy starts harrassing me again, that I should call the cops right away. What a pleasant surprise! We continued to talk for a while about all of our dogs before wishing each other a Happy New Year.

So, the moral of the story?
Although there are too many unnecessary laws and regulations as well as those who are on their citizen's high horse trying to police everyone, there are those who do hold the power and are still good people who have common sense and decency. Not to mention, I made two new friends today.

So, to those who are feeling as though there is no hope and that everyone is going to be considered a terrorist at the slightest misstep, rest assured that there are those out there who know the difference between minor disobedience and a major infraction that should be addressed. I'm glad that the city employees I encountered today were able to tell the difference and were on my side. It just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that (most) of the officials in my community are sensible people who really just want everyone to get along and be able to enjoy a day at the park.

Happy New Year, everyone!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
that guy pisses me off lol..he should mind his own freakin' business, the world doesn't need more people like that.

we live too short of lives to go around bossing everyone for everything. i'm glad you kept your cool.

goes to show you that some people out there such as those fine city enforcement folks are on your team.

thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

What? Common Sense and a personal and human approach to a problem.

GREAT STORY!!

I'm going to post a link to it in another thread where just a moment ago I posted how law enforcement need more of a human element!

And, I must say, you held your cool much better than I could have.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Thank you for this positive story.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Thank you, both for your kind and supportive comments!

He really was searching for someone to antagonize and I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Gotta love my bad luck sometimes. I'm glad I was able to keep my cool, too. The guy gave off a nasty vibe and pissing him off would've made him get even uglier. We must always remember to choose our battles wisely.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
He couldn't have been too bright to get in your face with the dogs right there.
Good dog!

You should have told him "No, I'm not above the law. The dogs are".

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
that's a great story ,that guy showed them quite plainly who he was .they showed quite plainly that had no interest in criminilizing a nice lady just trying to enjoy the air and walk her dog.

You know what's scary ? self appointed LAW guy! he scares the hell out of me wonder how many Law Zombies there are out there?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by subject x

You should have told him "No, I'm not above the law. The dogs are".

I love it!

It did cross my mind for a moment that if my dog did have to defend me, I'd have all the fishermen take a day off to speak for me and my dog in court.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

Law Zombies

I wonder that myself. Meeting one today was not a pleasant experience. Just keep your cool and tell them to move on. Also, try to assure them that there are worse "law breakers" somewhere else and maybe they'll move on a lot quicker.

edit on 29-12-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Isn't it sad that we have to make it known that we've had a good experience with authority figures? Use to be we took it for granted we would be treated fairly and with respect. That common sense would be used. Now, most are just waiting for that moment when the batons, pepper spray or guns are drawn.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

I agree. I'm so happy that I don't live in a big city where this kind of law enforcement seems to be more prevalent. Then again, maybe it's just the way humans are and we seem to complain more than praise. I'm sure people who work in restaurants can attest to the fact that people are always quick to report a bad experience while the good times never get any attention.

Maybe common sense and decency will become contagious in 2012? One can only hope.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Such a cool ending!
Good to know the city employees you ran into weren't robots like so many others.
Still gives me hope in the human race!

Very well-written I might add!

Have a great 2012!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Oh man I hate those types. One morning I had my dog on the boardwalk in jersey. None of the locals mind her being in there shops as she weighs 8 pounds. Anyway this old guy stepped on her tail so she yipped turned and barked at his foot, he tries to report my dog a vicious attack dog. The cops came and just laughed and told the guy I could bring her in if the shop keeps didnt mind her. Heres a current picture of the evil attack dog(the black one)

edit on 29-12-2011 by RARARAsputin because: erf

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

score one for liberty

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RARARAsputin

Too cute! Thanks for sharing their photos and your story about how "vicious" your dog can be. I mean, look at those eyes -- she has it in for that camera!

Here's a picture of my dog getting ready to eat one of my rabbits. J/K

(Sorry the photo is so big. I don't know how to downsize.)
edit on 29-12-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Yea pure terror right there. Much like your unholy beast kissin the bunnies. Your dog is aborable

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Glad to hear, that your experience turned out to be a good one!

And great to see, that there still are people in responsibility with a common sense and a good heart.

Have a good 2012!

Maybe things will change for the better...

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
'Also glad to hear about your good experience.

We have a "dog Nazi" who lives in our condo building and actually rides up and down in the freight elevator trying to catch residents violating the building's "carry your dog through the lobbies" policy. When the security desk got tired of listening to his constant complaints, they told him they couldn't do anything about the violations unless they had the resident's unit number. Now, he jumps off the elevator and actually follows people to their home doorways. Sick, man. No really -- a sick man.

At least -- as your story proves -- not everyone is an uhappy, control freak, self-appointed Barney Fife!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
You're lucky he didn't assault you! I'd be careful for a little while- you never know how messed up in the head that guy is.

Gorgeous puppies! Funny how Afterthoughts' dog is letting that bunny know that he's the boss

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing your story...

I must say that I'm a bit torn though. While I am staunchly against stupid laws/ordinances, such as banning pets from areas such as you described, I also get irritated when I see somebody act "above the law". I would never act like the individual you described, however...

I too am a dog lover and have 2 superbly trained, walk-loving dogs of my own. The park I take them to has a sign clearly indicating that dogs must be on leash at all times, yet what do I see? All these free running dogs belonging to owners who think they are somehow special and the rules do not apply to them.

There are many more examples of this same sort of thing that I see all the time, but I can't seem to think of them at the moment.

I think we should all play by the rules (and harshen punishments) or play by no rules at all... Stop this in-between the lines junk.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join