It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borderline Personality Disorder And "Splitting"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Has anyone had any experience of someone who suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder? One of the aspects of this condition is the sufferer goes through episodes of "Splitting" This is when they see a person as being either "All Good" or "All Bad". I believe that the sufferer can alternate between these states, but if anyone has any information or personal experience of this then i would be interested to learn and understand about this debilitating mental condition.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Sure. it's incredibly similar to bipolar disorder/manic depressive, except with real consequences in pathology versus a simple state of mind.

What questions do you have about it?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Caution: Interacting with persons with BPD can be hazardous to your health, livelihood and reputation. Proceed with extreme caution for they may suddenly turn on you and ruin your life. This happened to me in late 2001. It forever changed my life. It was sheer luck that I managed to regain a tenable situation.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I have done extensive studies on this as my ex girlfriend had this disorder... i also have alot of first-hand experince with is, it is extremely complicated, and can cause alot of issues in a relationship, but if you have any specific questions, shoot.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by UnivoxSuperfuzz

Thank you for your reply. My first question would be , when the sufferer see's aomeone as "All Bad" does that person remain in an "All Bad" state permenently or does the BPD sufferer alternate between seeing that person as "All Good" again?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Yeah, they can usually go back and forth depending on what's strategically viable for them at the time.

I wouldn't trust them really at all as this is really just an offshoot of psychopathy, with a slightly smarter strategic twist.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Thank you also for your reply. As you have stated the condition of BPD can be a very confusing issue for both sufferer and the person "On The Other End" so to speak. I have posted a question to which you maybe able to reply too.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Caution: Interacting with persons with BPD can be hazardous to your health, livelihood and reputation. Proceed with extreme caution for they may suddenly turn on you and ruin your life. This happened to me in late 2001. It forever changed my life. It was sheer luck that I managed to regain a tenable situation.

Yes, they can be very dangerous, especially when they feel you are against them. In my personal experience with a bipolar family member, they can go from best friends forever to total annihilation in a heart beat.

edit on 29-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnivoxSuperfuzz

Yeah, they can usually go back and forth depending on what's strategically viable for them at the time.

I wouldn't trust them really at all as this is really just an offshoot of psychopathy, with a slightly smarter strategic twist.

Yes, she knew exactly what to do to ruin me and proceeded to do so with no hesitation or thought to the consequences.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Are Bipolar and Borderline Personailty Disorder the same condition, or do they differ?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

They can flip/flop back and forth like the wind

--depending on weather
--hormones
--mysterious whims
--idle thoughts
--demonic oppression
--a tone of voice that sends them one way or the other
--a memory from a childhood poor attachment with daddy issue
--gas from a spicy taco
--rumminating stinkin' thinkin'
--constant scanning for the least bit of threat
--etc. etc. etc.

AGAIN, BE CAUTIOUS. AVOID MARRYING. AVOID BEING FINANCIALLY OR LEGALLY VULNERABLE IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

PRAY TONS FOR ANY INTERACTION OR RELATING TIMES

They typically do not present for therapy and if they do, they typically do not STAY in therapy more than a visit or 3. They bail quickly and blame, blame, blame.

They rarely take responsibility for their own junk though they can take too much responsibililty and nose-dive suicidally and depressed over minor nothing junk.

It's not just mountains out of molehills . . . it's taking a quick corner of the eye glance at a

perceived single half grain of sand

and turning it into life and death equal Mt Everest.

edit on 29/12/2011 by BO XIAN because: an added comment

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
total annihilation in a heart beat

It hit me like an airburst bomb. Ironically she now performs mental health counseling out of state. At least I don't have to worry about our paths ever crossing again.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Very different. Pathology of bipolar patients stay the same and only fluctuate in mental state between manic and depressive.

Pathology of borderline personality disorder patients tend go between two extremes; they only "appear" to go between manic and depressive states to gain sympathy or manipulate.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I think you can think of people with BPD as being constantly and terminally torn with making decisions and judgement calls. As far as a character in Hollywood that is suspected to have it, a lot of people think Darth Vader has it.
edit on 29-12-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-12-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

They differ. . . . though there's plenty of overlap, too. Search out the online

DSM IV or search definitions of both to check.

Wikipedia probably has good summaries, too.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Here's my story in a nutshell:

AVALANCHING And False Charges Of Domestic Violence: You Could Be Next.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
by this_is_who_we_are
started on 3/18/2010 @ 01:18 PM

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Is it true that it is always the person who is "On The Other End" of a BPD sufferes actions that has to always institute remaking contact with them after they have cast you aside? The whole topic of BPD condition seems to be very confussing to the layman.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
reply to post by Destinyone

Are Bipolar and Borderline Personailty Disorder the same condition, or do they differ?

That is a question still being decided in the medical field. Here is a good starting place to read a little. It's a much more complex issue than a simple thread on ATS can address. But, here on ATS is a good start.

How are Bipolar and Borderline Personality Disorder Different?

What is the difference between BPD and bipolar disorder, then? Some major components separate the two. While the disorders are both characterized by mood changes, the quality of the mood changes can be very different. In BPD, mood changes are often more short-lived -- they may last for a few hours at a time. In contrast, mood changes in bipolar disorder tend to last for days or even weeks. Also, mood shifts in BPD are usually in reaction to an environmental stressor (such as an argument with a loved one), whereas mood shifts in bipolar disorder may occur out-of-the-blue. Finally, the mood shifts typical of BPD rarely involve elation -- usually the shift is from feeling upset to feeling "OK," not from feeling bad to feeling a high or elevated mood, which is more typical of bipolar disorder.

bpd.about.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

My advice to you would be to stay away, no matter how desperate you might be. Once you are in the "All bad" category, even if you somehow manage the person to switch back, lingering memories of what put you in the "all bad" state will remain, and can trigger at any time outside of your control. It is VERY hard to reason with a BPD in this state, the only reasonable way to handle it is medication, but these usually cause other very bad side effects (such as constant sleepyness, unmotivated, removal of all feelings, not just negative) making the BPD into some kind of zombie.

It is too bad, really.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Thank you for your wise advice. It is something i must take into serious consideration. My whole reason for posting was to try and understand what and how this condition shows itself to the outside world. The condition as you know is one of "Mental Heatlh" That in itself is a major reason of concern.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join