It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun's Flare Set to Storm the Airways

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
www.dailytelegraph.com.au...

RADIATION from a solar storm will bombard Earth, bringing the possibility of radio blackouts over the coming days, scientists have warned. The solar flare - or coronal mass ejection - could affect GPS systems, radios and mobile phones. CMEs contain billions of tons of gases that are flung into space at around eight million km/h. They are mind-bogglingly hot - around 100,000,000C. The storm is part of a larger increase in activity on the surface of the sun, which runs in 11-year cycles. It is expected to peak around 2013. Scientists from the Space Weather Prediction Centre said geomagnetic storms are expected with minor radio blackouts until Sunday. In extreme cases magnetic storms have been known to disrupt satellites and electricity grids. But on the up side, CMEs can also cause amazing shimmering light shows when the ionised solar particles become trapped by Earth's magnetic field. In 1989, a CME was held responsible for leaving six million people in Quebec, Canada, without power. Last month one of the largest storms our star can produce was detected. Known as an X1.9 flare, it was one of the biggest seen in yea

I just read this over at The Daily Telegraph, it seems that a coronal mass ejection is about to hit earth tonight. It goes on to say we may lose power, cable, radio, and cellphones! Im not too concerned about it, except for the loosing power part. I also believe it may just be fear mongering or what not, I remember hearing several times in the past this may happen but never did, but anyways.. I would like to know my fellow ATS'ers opinions!
Peace!
edit on Thu Dec 29 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Hm, I guess it's a possibility but the earth usually gets hit with these at times, but thanks to our atmosphere it will bounce some away. So it probably won't be as bad? Only time will tell I guess :> Anyway thanks for bringing this to light!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Enter Phage stage left.....

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Its an small one thankfully just the MSM repeating what they do every few months...

2011-12-27 15:08 Minor Geomagnetic Activity Possible

Coronal Mass Ejections from the last few days may cause isolated periods of G1(Minor) Geomagnetic Storm Activity on December 28-29. Updates here as appropriate.
NOAA

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Looks like things are heating up a bit.

The aurora will give a decent show in northern states

Looking at the real time solar wind gauge the speed is over 400 and pressure is around 5. whatever that means.

Space Weather Message Code: WARK04
Serial Number: 1848
Issue Time: 2011 Dec 29 1038 UTC
WARNING: Geomagnetic K-index of 4 expected
Valid From: 2011 Dec 29 1037 UTC
Valid To: 2011 Dec 29 1800 UTC
Warning Condition: Onset

Space Weather Message Code: WATA20
Serial Number: 482
Issue Time: 2011 Dec 27 1431 UTC

WATCH: Geomagnetic A-index of 20 or greater predicted
NOAA Scale: Periods reaching the G1 (Minor) Level Likely
Valid for UTC Day: 2011 Dec 29

NOAA Scales Activity
Range 1 (minor) to 5 (extreme)
NOAA Scale Past 24 hrs Current
Geomagnetic Storms Highest Geomagnetic Storm level past 24 hrs Current Geomagnetic Storm level
Solar Radiation Storms Highest Radiation Storm level past 24 hrs Current Radiation Storm level
Radio Blackouts Highest Radio Blackout level past 24 hrs Current Radio Blackout level

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Looks like things are heating up a bit.

The aurora will give a decent show in northern states

Looking at the real time solar wind gauge the speed is over 400 and pressure is around 5. whatever that means.

Space Weather Message Code: WARK04
Serial Number: 1848
Issue Time: 2011 Dec 29 1038 UTC
WARNING: Geomagnetic K-index of 4 expected
Valid From: 2011 Dec 29 1037 UTC
Valid To: 2011 Dec 29 1800 UTC
Warning Condition: Onset

Space Weather Message Code: WATA20
Serial Number: 482
Issue Time: 2011 Dec 27 1431 UTC

WATCH: Geomagnetic A-index of 20 or greater predicted
NOAA Scale: Periods reaching the G1 (Minor) Level Likely
Valid for UTC Day: 2011 Dec 29

NOAA Scales Activity
Range 1 (minor) to 5 (extreme)
NOAA Scale Past 24 hrs Current
Geomagnetic Storms Highest Geomagnetic Storm level past 24 hrs Current Geomagnetic Storm level
Solar Radiation Storms Highest Radiation Storm level past 24 hrs Current Radiation Storm level
Radio Blackouts Highest Radio Blackout level past 24 hrs Current Radio Blackout level

It looks like northern va and dc might see the aurora borealis. I live in coastal virginia and it just kills me that I won't be able to see it.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
i hope some one gets some videos and photos of the arrora borialis.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
PLEASE OH PLEASE be a clear night tonight! Seeing the Northern Lights is on my bucket list. I have NEVER seen them and want to soooo much. OH PLEASE!! (it was snowing a few minutes ago ... totally cloudy! UGH)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I just had a good laugh with the visual of Phage with his lab coat and clipboard strolling confidently onto the stage toward the podium to deliver his reply!
Love ya Phage.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by Destinyone

I just had a good laugh with the visual of Phage with his lab coat and clipboard strolling confidently onto the stage toward the podium to deliver his reply!
Love ya Phage.

I usually envision phage as this little green fella wearing that stylish lab coat just suddenly popping into a thread and giving ATS his entrance glare... all diabolic and devious.... and opening up a notepad he carries with him and reading off what's written on it... "um, NO!"... and then disappearing in a cloud of scintilating colors... lol

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

Remember that Aurora is only visible in the red area.

The blue color does not signify greater auroral activity than the surrounding black color

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

Windspeed of 400km/s is normal, density has dropped the last couple of hours.
Kp-index is very low, so no big storms for the moment.
www.swpc.noaa.gov...
For more information on aurora viewing
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

He's one smart dude though...you have to admit! He has saved me from freaking out many times!

new topics

top topics

join