It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient seal found in Jerusalem linked to ritual

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

www.physorg.com

A rare clay seal is displayed during a news conference at the archaeological site known as the City of David in east Jerusalem, Sunday, Dec. 25, 2011. Israeli archaeologists say they have unearthed a rare clay seal that appears to be linked to religious rituals that took place at the Jewish Temple 2,000 years ago.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
As difficult as any archaeological survey might be under any circumstances, it seems even more so in Jerusalem where relics and culture often collide.

This small and ancient survivor of history seems very interesting to me:

(for scale)

the seal itself

The coin-sized seal found near the Jewish holy site at the Western Wall bears two Aramaic words meaning "pure for God."
Archaeologist Ronny Reich of Haifa University said it dates from between the 1st century B.C. to 70 A.D. — the year Roman forces put down a Jewish revolt and destroyed the second of the two biblical temples in Jerusalem.

The find marks the first discovery of a written seal from that period of Jerusalem's history, and appeared to be a unique physical artifact from ritual practice in the Temple, said Reich, co-director of the excavation.

Very few artifacts linked to the Temples have been discovered so far. The site of the Temple itself — the enclosure known to Jews as the Temple Mount and to Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary — remains off-limits to archaeologists because of its religious and political sensitivity.

The City of David dig, located inside the nearby Palestinian neighborhood of Silwan and funded by a Jewish group affiliated with the settlement movement, is the Holy Land's highest-profile and most politically controversial excavation.

Something for the new year.....

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Maybe this is the reason Palestine is so contentious...ancient remains that might give away secrets to ancient civilizations and/or arcane knowledge.

Some of the crusades were based on iconoclasm which could mean differences in interpretation of early information...just thinking out loud here...nice find...

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Amazing,

I saw this, its beyond belief really its still there after 2000 years, delicate made of clay, yet in one of the most changing, rising, falling, phoenix like cities in the world.

I just hope it is not the stonemasons seal for the corner stone of the temple though

That would create some problems I am sure.

Wow an amazing find and interested in what may be found out more about its specific use, or purpose, if it can be linked to ceremony.

Bet the Rabbi's are having fits over this.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

What is the big deal? Yes it is an interesting find, but why would the Jewish community be concerned about the possible revelations connected with what amounts to a simple seal/stamp for documents.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Could this seal have been used after offerings were examined for history, imperfections etc. that would deem them unworthy or for documents that passed examination for validity? Aramaic was the language used by the Israelites who were exiled in Babylon and returned to Israel?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by steppenwolf86

Well from the source OP?? will bold what I am trying to highlight

The find marks the first discovery of a written seal from that period of Jerusalem's history, and appeared to be a unique physical artifact from ritual practice in the Temple, said Reich, co-director of the excavation.

Very few artifacts linked to the Temples have been discovered so far. The site of the Temple itself — the enclosure known to Jews as the Temple Mount and to Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary — remains off-limits to archaeologists because of its religious and political sensitivity.

So it was used in Ritual practice, Kabalistic even, it is not just an "letter" seal, it was used as part of services, rituals, old magic dressed as religion, so the rabbis would find it interesting, esp the ones who are mystical....

I would be interested if this would bring light on an old practice or ceremony that is lost..... the inscription may be new, other things found by might reveal lost rituals.

I am sure to many to it will be used to prop up "prophecy", "Re Building the Temple" and an host of other things and if you are not aware of the political, religious and clashing of worlds due to the "Temple" and "Dome on the rock" do some googles I am sure you will be busy for a long time.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

HOAX.

Too far south for a seal much less and old one.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustinErikson

Originally posted by Maxmars

HOAX.

Too far south for a seal much less and old one.

That would be the first hoax I've ever run across from Physorg!

Also, one has to wonder if that means ...

Archaeologist Ronny Reich of Haifa University said it dates from between the 1st century B.C. to 70 A.D. — the year Roman forces put down a Jewish revolt and destroyed the second of the two biblical temples in Jerusalem.

... means to perpetrate a falsehood on the world's archeological community, as well as sealing his professional fate...

Somehow I think it would be best if you elaborate on the nature of your declaration of a hoax, beyond the artifact location...
edit on 30-12-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
A seal found in Jerusalem?

Expect somebody to break it by the end of next year.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Is it odd that they found it "on" Christmas? Unless I am misreading this and the information was let out on Xmas, and not found "on" Xmas. All the other articles don't mention the exact find date.

"The area is considered controversial because it is part of the city, Silwan, that the Palestinian Authority wishes to have as the capital for its Palestine state, according to Huffington Post.

Could this have anything to do with the sudden "rare" finding?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

He's making a joke.. you know.. seal. Shark food.

It just wasn't very funny : P
edit on 30-12-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Been digging around this topic lightly since I first saw it.

Its very difficult to get info on real practices within the gnostic or mystic branches of Judaism, (unless you go the madonna plastic shaman root) and starting this search many years ago I realised, it was hard to be sure of information and its an very closed and secretive club.. Which surprised me as some of the practices info I have gained from Tibet seemed to be on the surface harder to have access to.

So unfortunately I cant bring any real mysteries around this object yet, that being some of the unknown rites it may have been used in, however this very Seal may actually be an seal that is known as one that performed an Miracle that is strong in Jewish tradition and history.

Now as I alluded to earlier this is no "seal" as in letters and wax etc, it was used in ritual (of which some I may bring to ATS in the future here if successful in research) and held an deep spiritual significance for the Jewish people. This "Pure of God" seal was used to state if something was allowed to be used within the "Temple" where many Jewish teachers stated that was an home for "God" and he would actually in their beliefs be in that Temple.

So like we see in all major religions much ritual and ceremony (magic) is carried out to cleanse, and make ready objects to be in the special part of the temple or altar, as when the Eucharist is blessed before it is placed in the depositary then becomes the "Body of Christ" by that blessings, in the same way the Jewish Priests of old believed that using this seal conferred similar properties, that is making it divine or holy enough, cleansed enough to be used in the presence of God within the Temple.

So it seems this seal then, being used as above may just possibly be linked to one of Jewish histories most important events and miracles one of the interpretations that the Jewish people were chosen and protected by God as according to their theology

That is the "Miracle of the Oil"

Jerusalem District Archaeologist Dr. Yuval Baruch drew a connection between the find and Hanukkah. “It is written in the Gemara (Talmud Bavli, Tractate Shabbat 2:21) that the only cruse of oil that was discovered in the Temple after the victory of the Maccabees over the Greeks, “lay with the seal of the High Priest” – that is, the seal indicated that the oil is pure and can be used in the Temple. Remember, this cruse of oil was the basis for the miracle of Hanukkah that managed to keep the menorah lit for eight days”, Baruch noted.

also

The inscription dates back to the first century, and is consistent with Jewish literature which teaches that no oil was to be used for lighting the menorah in the Temple unless it had the signature of the High Priest stating that it is “Pure for God.”

The fact that this ancient artifact has been brought to light on Hanukkah is no coincidence. While there were many miracles performed for the Jewish people when they waged war against the much mightier Greek army, it is the miracle of the oil that we celebrate.

After the Jewish people succeeded in driving the Greeks out of their land, the priests entered the Holy Temple to perform the Temple service that had been prohibited by the Greeks. When they entered, they found a Temple that had been completely desecrated – the instruments of service were destroyed and the oil used for lighting the menorah was defiled.

Amidst the havoc which prevailed in the Temple, the Cohanim, or Priests, found one jar of oil remaining which had the seal of the High Priest – “Pure for God.” The jar contained enough oil for one day and it would take an additional eight days to produce more pure oil fit for lighting. Yet, God performed a miracle and the oil lasted for eight days.

The service of lighting the menorah in the Temple was called the Aish Tamid or “Eternal Flame.” The Cohen (priest) would light the menorah every morning and it would continue to burn through the following morning, so that the menorah would be lit continuously.

This can be seen in modern day activity as found in the Hannukah or "Festival of Light"and as most people would know the Jewish Faith from both the skull caps but also the 9 Branch Candle known as the Menorah.

The reason this 9 branch candlestick the menorah is so important in Jewish tradition and culture is due to the links with this event in the Temple.

Taking into account the above info, I re iterate my belief the Rabbis will be having fits over this, just due to some life experiences I am sure this will be used in ritual again and maybe not even with the public knowing.

Also that it will be used very extensively as an "prophecy" or an "Right to the temple" sort of stance, and that indeed it is in no way an Hoax and infact is quite an big deal.

Kind Regards,

Elf
edit on 30-12-2011 by MischeviousElf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

The reason this 9 branch candlestick the menorah is so important in Jewish tradition and culture is due to the links with this event in the Temple.

Menorah has 7 branches. It is supposed to symbolize the light coming via the Temple to the world.It was present in 1st and 2nd Temples.
Hanukiah has 8 branches to symbolize that pure oil (with unbroken seal,by the way) enough to light Menorah for 1 day was enough for 8 days. In the English wiki source i just saw that it is called Hanukkah menorah - never heard this term in Hebrew. Menorah is menorah and Hanukiah is hanukiah.
Oh, almost forgot - 9th branch is just meant to be shamash (for maintenance). It does not symbolize anything.
edit on 30-12-2011 by ZeroKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Is there anyway someone can alter the colours, contrast etc to enhance the image please?
2nd

new topics

top topics

join