It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman sues family of teenager killed by train - after she was injured by his flying body parts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

A man killed while crossing train tracks can be sued for injuries caused to a woman on the platform, when one of his severed body parts hit her, a court has ruled.

Hiroyuki Joho, 18, died when he ran in front of a 70mph Amtrak train at Edgebrook Metra station in Chicago in 2008. It was pouring with rain and the teen had an umbrella over his head.

His body was severed on impact, and a large part became airborne, flying about 100 feet onto the southbound platform, where it hit a commuter.

A Cook County court judge initially dismissed Zokhrabov's lawsuit against the boy's estate, ruling that Joho could not possibly have anticipated Zokhrabov's injuries.

But a state appeals court disagreed. It found that 'it was reasonably foreseeable' that the high-speed train would kill Joho and fling his body toward a platform where people were waiting.

Lawyer Leslie Rosen, who handled Zokhrabov's appeal, argued that the case was a straightforward negligence case, albeit with 'very peculiar and gory and creepy' circumstances.

'If you do something as stupid as this guy did, you have to be responsible for what comes from it,' she said.

Source The Daily Mail

This is one crazy story but i just cant make my mind up about it. On one had the idea of suing a dead person just seems so typically American but on the other hand she did receive some injuries that were not her fault.

edit on 29-12-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Hmm well despite that she received some injuries would it still be okay to sue? I mean I didn't really see how severe her injuries were but still a life was lost and she's going to sue the family who would more than likely be grieving? I really don't know about this.

Also link to the article please?

link   
Wow have you some links please, I don't want to believe this...

+10 more 
link   
So making his family suffer somehow equates to the deceased taking responsibility?

What ever happened to # just happening and people moving on with their lives?

There was no malice. No criminal indifference. Just a #ty accident that sucks for everybody but for the plaintiff least of all.

And in case the courts are privy to knowledge of some glorious afterlife the guy definitely was held responsible for his actions. He was killed!
edit on 29-12-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

www.latimes.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

The estate of the 18 year old would be his family. This female dog is going to sue the family of a dead boy...
absolutely unacceptable...
Spilling coffee on yourself and suing is stupid....this woman is pathetic.

link   
Here is the links:

Woman sues family of teenager killed by train - after she was injured by his flying body parts

Whilst I don't think she should have sued, it must have been horrific for her.

link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

What exactly are the woman's injuries? Also...please provide a link to the story.

I just read the links provided...and yes the teen boy was foolish in crossing the tracks....but I also believe it was a freak accident. Also...I understand from the article that this young man's mother is suing because of wrong scheduling information that her son did not know about when crossing the tracks....apparently he thought he would be safe.

The woman who became injured by the flying body part... I think (perhaps) that the young man's family should be responsible for her medical bills (resulting from the injury) and perhaps they also should pay for some mental health therapy sessions for the woman...but then again I think....should she sue the owners of the train company - instead?

edit on 29-12-2011 by caladonea because: add more

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
twisted family.

sueing a dead person, only in america

i wonder who she would sue if a treebranch fell on her head during a storm...

HAARP maybe

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Sorry that quote was from The Daily Mail

link   
I think it's rotten to the core, the family are no doubt going through enough already.

Not a lot shocks me normally, but I'm finding recently that there is always something to make me gasp in dismay!

That being said, it is her right. Personally I wouldn't be able to sleep at night having even thought about suing!

We will all pay the consequences of our actions in the end

link   
Thanks for the links

But Wow 1st I think it would be horrid waiting for a train and to get hit by a big piece of human BUT to sue the fella's family for damages is just wrong, they have to try and cope with his death and deal with this Lawsuit.
Poor Poor Family.

Maybe sue the train station for failing to put up decent anti...I don't know. But wow this has really shocked me..
edit on 29-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I really didn't want to believe this but it seems to be true I still do not see what injuries the person sustained but I wonder if she was pretty much just knocked off her feet and fell to the ground getting a bit of a bruise...If that is so it is not so much of a full on injury (to me). I still would not allow the case to go on, I mean -- you know what I have no words for this so just going to walk away. I really don't get this...

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Lawyer Leslie Rosen, who handled Zokhrabov's appeal, argued that the case was a straightforward negligence case, albeit with 'very peculiar and gory and creepy' circumstances.

'If you do something as stupid as this guy did, you have to be responsible for what comes from it,' she said.

wtf, really

you´re an awfull human being Leslie Rosen.

personally, if i were a layer, i wouldn´t be able to take this case on.

edit on 29-12-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SolidFaith

The LA Times article mentions a broken wrist and bruised shoulder.

Typically what happens when a fatty hits the ground.

...sorry, that's not very nice, but neither is this woman apparently.

link   
I would have to rule against it if i was the judge.

She was at the wrong place wrong time, she was a victim of curcumstance . Unless they can prove the guy killling him self intended for his body parts to hit her . Which they can't .

What am i too take away from this judge?

I should stand closer to the trains just incase someone jumps ? then i can get hit wtih a body part and i have the right to sue?

What if the suspect was being chased by police and got hit by the train and the body part still hit her? Would the judge still allow the police department to be sued / or the family/

GIve me a break

link   

Originally posted by SolidFaith
I really didn't want to believe this but it seems to be true I still do not see what injuries the person sustained but I wonder if she was pretty much just knocked off her feet and fell to the ground getting a bit of a bruise...If that is so it is not so much of a full on injury (to me). I still would not allow the case to go on, I mean -- you know what I have no words for this so just going to walk away. I really don't get this...

From the source article

Gayane Zokhrabov, 58, was knocked to the ground, her leg and wrist broken and her shoulder injured, the Chicago Tribune reported

I wonder if the injuries were from being struck or her losing her balance and falling over?
edit on 29-12-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w
twisted family.

i wonder who she would sue if a treebranch fell on her head during a storm...

::

God....
edit on 29-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
Here is the links:

Whilst I don't think she should have sued, it must have been horrific for her.

So horrific that she sees $$$$$$$$$$$$

my jaw just dropped when i read this thread.

The guy should of not only thought about all the bad things in his life, like why hes committing suicide, people hes leaving in life but he should of also thought about peoples injuries and gone to a designated area.

wow

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

reply to post by PhoenixOD

Thank you both didn't see it in one of the links I clicked. Seems more like the injuries would be sustained from falling over. Thinking of the person falling over and trying to catch their fall with their hand out stretched the impact would have fractured her wrist since her hand would probably hit the ground head on or a bit at the angle and twist it. The impact would go all the way up to her shoulder perhaps and even more so when she lands. In all of this I could she could have landed wrong and hurt her leg at the same time. I see she is older as well being that she's 58 so certainly have to take that into account; but still I don't think she should really be allowed to sue the family for something like this :/

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join