It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEED ADVICE. What should I do?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Hi ATS. I have been on the fence about some things recently. I'm 21 years old. This morning at 5:00 AM I awoke to two male African Americans beating on the side of my house. I leaned up in my bed and suddenly they threw a propane tank that was on my porch through my bedroom window. It shattered four window panes in my bedroom. I then got up and all I own is knives and swords. My roommate and I wielded a couple swords along with my pitbull and went outside to check the window. After we came back in the house we were standing in the kitchen talking by my back door, and heard stomping coming back up my back porch. I reached for my back door and locked the deadbolt. As I was bringing my hand back from the lock they kicked my door in ripping the dead bolt through the door frame and hitting me. As the black man looked in and saw us standing there he took off running. I was so taken back that I couldn't see his license plate. I'm a very tough person, but this did scare me as it was extremely unexpected and I didn't have a proper weapon to protect myself. I now agree that in the neighborhood I'm in I will almost definitely need a gun. What do you guys/girls think I should do.

Just to add my roommate and I have never met either of these two men before this incident.. I'm on the boarder of the city ghetto in a town in Iowa.

P.S. I did report this to the police and they issued a warrant for the men. I don't think they will be finding him any time soon though. Also sorry for the grouped paragraph and any grammatical errors. I am at work and in a hurry to post. Thank you in advance to the replies.
edit on 29-12-2011 by jeenyus2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Smith and Wesson is your friend.

I'm so sorry you had to experience such a frightful morning. Is there any reason to think of that random strangers would think it was a good idea to break into your home? Anyone bragging of money or new items in your home lately?

Is it just one of those neighborhoods where things like this are now considered normal.?

If you and your roomie can afford to move, it might be worth looking into...

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jeenyus2008

I had this convo with my wife the other day. To protect yourself from that sort, especially in your hood, one needs a gun. But, you have to accept the notion that when you do have to use it you better not hesitate or it may be used on you. Be careful and never brandish it unless you are in critical danger. Sidenote; had you shot him while he was running away, you would be charged or sued or both.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Best answer; move if possible. Your address wont be the deciding factor of your toughness.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Guns guns and more guns. Other than that, move.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

A policeman once told me...if someone attacks you ....at your home....when you defend yourself....make sure the attacker is inside your house...because (if you kill the attacker) and he is inside your home ...it will be deemed (justifiable homicide) self-defense...but if you kill the attacker outside of your home...it most likely will be deemed murder.

I suggest (if you are financially able to) move as soon as possible into a secure apartment building or condo.

I myself live alone with my cat (now)...and I have chosen to live in an apartment building...that has 24/7 security staff and cameras in all the hallways and common areas. No one can break-in where I live. It is like Fort Knox!

I am sorry that you had to go through such a frightening experience...I hope for you and yours...much safety and security in the future.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Unfortunately I am unable to move, because it is difficult to find a place that will accept my dog for his breed, and usually the ones that will charge a lot more. I already work 60 hours a week and can barely afford my house and all my bills. I think my only option is a gun. I just moved into this house 6 months ago after my father passed. I came from a really good neighborhood and now I guess I didn't know how to respond to something like this. My current mind state is a little fragile and ready to do whats necessary.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

"Is it just one of those neighborhoods where things like this are now considered normal.?"

I think this statement is exactly correct. The lower class have nothing to lose anymore.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Thank you for the reply. It's been a bit tough living on my own. Seems like every big problem I tackle, two more hit me.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Well IMO these guys are normally p words and lack any type of combat skills. The bst thing to do is confront them either phyisically or otherwise.

....or get yourself a nice semi-auto .9 MM with two clips.

That'll scare them from the woodworks.

-SAP-

EDIT: When I say "these guys" I mean criminals. Lets just clear that up.
edit on 29-12-2011 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Communicationwillfreeus

Thank you for the reply. It's not my hood nor am I a ghetto person. I'm Armenian/Caucasian and do not associate myself with anyone that does not have a decent set of morals. I actually want nothing more than to be in a different area but am stuck in the position I'm currently in. Everyone I have talked to suggests I move but that is one thing I simply can't do right now.

The second part of your post I agree with. Had I had a firearm I simply could have fired a warning shot and they most likely would not have come back to kick in my door.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

I agree and I would have responded a lot differently had I been awake previously. Like I stated though I was in a deep sleep, and woke up. No more than 8 seconds later the propane tank shattered my window and I flinched. My mind wasn't thinking straight at the time :
edit on 29-12-2011 by jeenyus2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Go out and buy a can of mace right now (not tomorrow, not in two hours....right now)
If you have a sword in one hand, and mace in the other.....suddenly your sword becomes a more viable weapon (when the intruder can no longer see clearly since his eyes are burning).

Not sure where you live in Iowa, but in most of the midwest you will find lots of people who hunt/ target shoot.

Think for a while, do you know anyone who can teach you how to SAFELY and properly maintain and use a firearm?

Also you want a firearm that is large enough to "get the job done", but not so large you can not handle the recoil...etc.

A firearm is a big responsibility, if you miss your target, and hit little jimmy on his bicycle....thats a problem. (If you dont have friends that shoot, see about possibly getting lessons from an instructor.)

Once you have your firearm, find an airsoft pistol that is a close copy of the real thing you have.
You can get a gel target for it, and practice IN YOUR HOUSE.
If another break in occurs, you are already comfortable with shooting .....at the front door, from down the hallway....what ever.

that experience and comfort is very well what might save your life. Its one thing to shoot at a target, but quite another to negotiate this piece of furniture, that table....to get a good line of sight at the back porch, without putting yourself in THEIR line of fire.

Also, realistic training will greatly improve your odds. Some time (with safety glasses on), you and your room mate need to work on stalking each other through the house.....its good practical exercise (and fun).

For what its worth...I bought my wife an airsoft pistol years ago. When she first had it, she could not hit a soda can from 10 feet, now she sits on the patio with me, and we bounce around a bottle cap for fun.

After teaching her with the airsoft, we went to my parents house (away from the city)....and wow, with the 22, 38 special, and even my 10mm she is accurate. (the practice pays off)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
40 years ago I noticed something strange in US movies.
Most front doors, in the US, had more than one lock.

We still had one, and usually the backdoor was open the whole day.
No one had a gun, unless for sport shooting or hunting.

Now forty years later, we still have only have one lock in the front door.
Most people now keep their backdoor closed. They still have no guns.

Things have changed here too, but I am glad we are still miles behind you.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

Thats exactly what I was talking with a friend about. He's an avid shooter, and is taking me out this weekend to shoot a little. His dad has a pistol grip shotgun I can borrow for the time being. Thank you for the response

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

Yeah times are certainly changing. This kind of behavior is unacceptable no matter the excuse. I guess I'm lucky enough to still have my life.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeenyus2008
reply to post by Pokoia

Yeah times are certainly changing. This kind of behavior is unacceptable no matter the excuse. I guess I'm lucky enough to still have my life.

I am happy too that you are still here.
I hope you will have a safe life from now on.
Wish you all the best.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Pokoia

Thank you, likewise! It's pretty clear I have two options on the table.

1) Register a firearm

2) Move

I'm sorry and call me stubborn, but I am no Coward. Thanks to all that responded. I was rather shook up and as a member that reads here daily, I figured who else could help me out more than the ATS community.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Glad I could provide advice.

I'm sure there are many opinions on what shell to use in that shotgun. The best I have heard is "#4 Buck Shot".

Once you progress to picking up a firearm, another good idea is (with firearm, or airsoft), try some target practice at night, with the lights out. Just your firearm, and a flashlight.....it puts a pretty big twist on it, but with practice you will improve.

(ok, not really intending to go on and on, but I'm one of those people who swore an oath to serve and defend......and your never really free from that oath)

So, on the flashlight itself.
Look around, you can find whats referred to a a TacLight, meaning Tactical Flashlight.
I have a couple that run on two AA batteries (to give you an idea of the size).
The light should have a button on the end of it, so you can use your thumb to easly turn off/on.
The light itself should be 65 LUMENS or higher.
***** IMPORTANT PART **************
This is because a light of 65 Lumens or higher is strong enough (in a LOW light setting), to temporarily blind someone.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

Wow a lot of good advice
. Part of me is glad I'm finally going to have proper instructions on using a firearm.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join