It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I saw a star moving...?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Wait til you see one for yourself, then you'll have all the certainty you'll need.

It would be great to find out more about what they actually are, without running into the usual crowd who haven't seen it so can't comprehend such a thing to be real.

A few threads and many replies I've read tonight have given me a new impression of this site (and WHY oh WHY is it always the UFO and Aliens forum that takes the brunt of it!) -- Welcome to ATS, where everyone's a liar, until proven right (which does not come easy).

That said, still interesting to read all the reports of moving stars
Doesn't this phenomena have an actual name within ufology? I can't remember what it is though...
edit on 2-1-2012 by markymint because: more opinion

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Greatings from South Africa.

I saw a satelite the other night, but unlike other satelites, it was red. It moved at a VERY fast speed from left to my right in the night sky. It then stopped and did a full circle twice. It move down , then up and shot at a amazing speed to the left...

Anyone every experience this??

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heatsta
Greatings from South Africa.

I saw a satelite the other night, but unlike other satelites, it was red. It moved at a VERY fast speed from left to my right in the night sky. It then stopped and did a full circle twice. It move down , then up and shot at a amazing speed to the left...

Anyone every experience this??

That's pretty much exactly what I saw, only the movement was relatively moderate in speed from the ground, but up high it must have been going very fast.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It was probably just a aero-plane moving with a big light in its front of the plane..... i'v seen that alot.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
If there was absolutely no sound and the precision and speed are clearly not possible with an aircraft, then you have seen a higher intelligence being's vehicle. Lucky you!

PS: it could also be a "human made" device of course, only the speed and feeling of it, and of course seeing the whole experience can tell you for sure

edit on 6-1-2012 by pascalt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I see them every night,maybe different to what you have seen. Starts off really bright and while moving it slowly starts to dim until it disappears.I just think they are stars dying. But if im wrong and anyone has a explanation please feel free to enlighten me.
edit on 6-1-2012 by avvie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by avvie
I see them every night,maybe different to what you have seen. Starts off really bright and while moving it slowly starts to dim until it disappears.I just think they are stars dying. But if im wrong and anyone has a explanation please feel free to enlighten me.
edit on 6-1-2012 by avvie because: (no reason given)

Unless they make any sudden movements or change of direction, it's safe to assume they are satellites. Keep looking!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

I have seen these about two years ago. When I first noticed them I assumed they were satellites. At that time I would be working out of town in a very rural area of VA. Often times to save money I would sleep in my van on the job sites, not many lights around. I noticed the movements the same as the OP described but no circles, slow but very smooth movements. I assumed they were satellites because they appeared to be blinking (red and white). On the job, right before tabernacles of 2010, I noticed a another light in the sky that looked like the other ones in the sky (that were blinking red and white) but this one was not there the night before. This night I remembered that I had an old Lowrance GPS with me in the van. The GPS I have will locate and show you were the satellites are. So I fire it up and confirm that all the lights I thought were satellites are satellites, except the one that just showed up that night does not appear on the GPS. So, I turn off the GPS (because of the light from it) and begin to watch that one. It was near the horizon, close enough that a tree was near it. I noticed small movements like I did other nights with the other satellites, but this one was different. It moved a lot more, it travel longer distances. What I thought was really neat was the fact that it seem to know I started to watch it. The tree was to the right of it and it hide behind it. It then would come back to the left of the tree, it did that a few times and it would come out at different heights of the tree. Since it seem to know that I was watching it, when it would hide I would pretend I was not watching it, I would look away watching it out of the corner of my eye. When it would come out I would turn my head to see it better. It than seem to know that I continued to watch it and quit coming out from the tree. It stayed behind the tree but I could tell it was still moving because of where it appeared in the tree. So, I quit watching so intently and would then check on it from time to time. It eventually appeared out of the top right of the tree and started the same thing, it would come out and then go back in. That happened a few times and I felt as though it did not like that I was watching it. I thought yeah, that's kind of how I feel. I then noticed it started to get lower and lower in the tree. I actually got a sad feeling over me at that point and new it was leaving. And it did, it slowing (but way to fast for it to be the earth spinning) and smoothly sank down into the horizon along side of the tree. It was not there the next night. All of this took place over a 15 minute period.

I have seen the same thing on another job in VA, same thing but above the trees this time. I did not check it on the GPS, but I do remember that when I notice it start to sink in the horizon a sad feeling came over me, and it was only there for one night.

I can say that since then, I do not even see the red and white blinking satellites (that showed up on the GPS). I see them but they do not blink like they use to. AND I have not seen the one that moved alot more, that did not show on GPS.

Sorry, I do not have an explanation for this.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by markymint

Wait til you see one for yourself, then you'll have all the certainty you'll need.

It would be great to find out more about what they actually are, without running into the usual crowd who haven't seen it so can't comprehend such a thing to be real.

Who says I haven't? It's not an uncommon phenomena, and I do spend large chunks of time observing the sky.

I guess you did not read what I posted earlier here?

I have seen what the OP described, and even photographed it before. On one occasion I was in the garden with my mum when she saw one. I also saw it, but I did not see the strange movements she was seeing.

A few threads and many replies I've read tonight have given me a new impression of this site (and WHY oh WHY is it always the UFO and Aliens forum that takes the brunt of it!) -- Welcome to ATS, where everyone's a liar, until proven right (which does not come easy).

I'd like to see where I said anyone was a liar.

All I have ever said, and it is backed up by research, is that our brains can easily misinterpret what our eyes are actually seeing under certain circumstances. In many cases (including the OPs case) I don't disbelieve that a witness is telling the truth when they say "that was what they saw", but at the same time they may be wrong about what actually took place.

For example, have you ever seen the moon when it is on or very close to the horizon?

Assuming you have, would you not say that it looks bigger than it looks when it's high in the sky? Would you be right?

Would you be lying if you did say that?

Who (or what) is lying? You or your eyes?

We actually know it's your brain rather than your eyes... and this is with a common and relatively familiar (to most people) object. We also know that unfamiliar objects seen in unfamiliar situations (in the sky/at night) relatively speaking, are more likely to confuse an observer, and there are many potential objects/phenomena, both man made and natural, in the sky that the vast majority of people are not familiar with, although they may be aware of, or they may assume they are familiar with the phenomena when they are not..

That said, still interesting to read all the reports of moving stars
Doesn't this phenomena have an actual name within ufology? I can't remember what it is though...

As I posted earlier, it's probably either the autokinetic effect, or a closely related effect.

There's nothing "that" mysterious about it, unless you just want to believe something for the sake of believing I guess aliens or back engineered tech is more believable than a well documented human imperfection?

O wow, isn't it exciting to be seeing all these UFOs... well, if there are so many, why aren't astronomers and other experienced sky watches seeing/photographing them.

The answer is, they are/do, but they can tell what they are (relatively "mundane" phenomena) in most cases, and very few UFO reports are made because of this .

Go out there and try it for yourself. It's no secret cover up, and you can fairly easily try it for yourself... if you want to, but I'm guessing you won't since you'd rather believe the "UFO hype" that has no real supporting evidence, instead of bothering to find out for yourself, or listening to those who already have.

I'm not saying aliens haven't visited us. Perhaps they have. I just haven't seen anything that convinces me that they have, so excuse me for not wanting to blindly believe that a satellite is something much more exotic in nature.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
u fail to understand what people are describing are NOT satelites
u are insulting evryones inteligence [including ur own] by saying there satelites
have u ever seen 10 to fifteen satelites move all over the sky going left and right up and down
or two satelites staying next to each other then one shoots of at incredible speed and fades out then the other one fades out
i have according to u lol
i know satelites move very slowly in a more or less straight line across the sky
this isnt anything like that
but u already knew that didnt u?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

What i get,is that thru the bottom of the constant cloud cover we have here(Mpumalanga Province in South Africa) flashes,like a pulse realy,of orange light,and also what looks like a star twinkling,moving to different sectors of the sky..there are definitely a lot of lights "masquerading" as stars..

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Hi OP.

Never seen a moving star myself but perhaps a satellite? they look like stars up there and if you were moving around it would appear like it is making circles? i dunno but my dad has also see a "moving star" before. as he explained, he thought it was a satellite but then it started to do zigzag motions like it was avoiding things or drunk at the wheel 0o his mate had a pair of binoculars on him (military issue) as he worked in the security industry and well they help. anyway my dad used them and this thing started to speed up to the point where you could barely keep up with it till it disappeared in front of their eyes. so maybe you saw yourself a UFO =D gratz.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatsta

Hi im from Mzansi too,live in Barberton,Mpumalanga Province..here,s one of my experiences: i was doing arts+crafts by my table outside and turned to go inside to get sonething i forgot..as i looked up i saw a biggish orange-colored light,and as i walked towards it,it stayed hanging in the air.When i got closer,it started retreating,and then moved off very fast,in a sort of backwards arc.This was in the East sector of the sky.Then on another occasion my oldest daughter,who was living at home still,came to me as i was watching it on another evening(yeah it returned quite a few times) What i was doing,i would,with a torch,make the symbol for infinity into the sky,and flash the light 8 times,cus it resembles the infinity symbol,the 8..and it would respond by fading and brightening..soon i make the light signals,fade..i switch off the torch,it brightens..this happened on quite a few occasions.My girl is a great sceptic,so she was gobsmacked.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I saw the exact same thing about a week ago at work. I work at a car wash and was standing outside star gazing waiting to close and I noticed a large yellowish star that I thought looked weird. So I loaded a car that pulled up, then looked back up at the star and by then it had started moving; now it was hard to tell if it was moving at first because it was going really slow, but after a minute it picked up; although it didn't do any type of maneuvering, it just went in pretty much a straight line until it was out of my view. Pretty weird stuff in my opinion. I just don't know what it could have been.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I know exactly what your talking about, i step outside sometimes and i look at the stars for maybe 20 or 30 secs and i notice a "star" that looks normal and looks the same distances as the other stars moving in circular, left to right, up and down, and figure-eight like movements.... the only thing about it is, the "star" looks as if it didn't move from its location. im positive i seen the "stars" moving because they will come to a complete stop, than star.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebestnr1
u fail to understand what people are describing are NOT satelites

You fail to understand that I (and many other people) spend many hundreds of hours observing the night sky, over the course of many years. The same night sky that you (and everyone else) are looking at. You are one the same planet as me, Earth, are you not?

Now I'm not saying that everything that you or anybody else is seeing is a satellite - but many of the accounts posted on this thread suggest satellites were the cause.

I'll bet the vast majority (if not all) were seen within an hour of sunset/sunrise if seen at this time of year, or throughout the night in the height of summer, providing the observer is at mid-northern latitudes. In September/April the observing window would be no more than around 2 hours before/after sunrise/sunset.

The times at which satellites can be observed varies throughout the year as the angle of the sun changes, and the sun dips lower below the horizon as winter approaches in the northern hemisphere. In the depths of winter, the sun quickly dips so far below the horizon, so that satellites can not generally be observed with the naked eye.

Read up on the factors which affect observing satellites here.

So please tell me, why are these things more or less only seen at these times, when satellites would be expected to be visible, and why are they not seen outside these times if they are not satellites?

u are insulting evryones inteligence [including ur own] by saying there satelites

I have yet to see a good argument or any evidence that they are not, whilst I have posted plenty of evidence that suggests they could well be, as well as my own personal experience in the subject (14 years of observing and photographing the night sky) which leaves little doubt in my mind in many cases. So instead of insinuating that I'm not intelligent, how about demonstrating you have some intelligence and posting a valid reason why they could not be satellites?

have u ever seen 10 to fifteen satelites move all over the sky going left and right up and down

Yes.

At any one time, there are probably well over 100 satellites in the sky above your head, and at least as much orbiting junk, so it's hardly surprising that we can see many satellites in the sky at the same time.

Here's an illustration of the satellites (and junk) in orbit around Earth:

Source: NASA

Here's another illustration of the junk and debris in orbit around Earth:

Source: Global Ecology

or two satelites staying next to each other then one shoots of at incredible speed and fades out then the other one fades out

Yes, expect for the part where it moved at "incredible speed", but that could easily be explained by an optical illusion.

In fact, its not uncomon for satellites to travel in pares, Iridium Satellites for example:

Source: Discover Magazine

i have according to u lol

Again, it wouldn't surprise me.

i know satelites move very slowly in a more or less straight line across the sky
this isnt anything like that
but u already knew that didnt u?

Is this image actually moving?

No. It's an optical illusion, just like a satellite appearing to move erratically.

As I have said before, try photographing them (as I have done) and you will be able to see what is a satellite and what is not, instead of jumping to conclusions through ignorance

edit on 11-1-2012 by C.H.U.D. because: clarification

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

You made your point already... I’m starting to think you have a clear agenda here... one of this days I will debunk your theories with all testimonials that were made here... must of the sightings described have nothing to do with satellites ... you still think that only you can distinguish a movement from a satellite / aero plain from other thing that moves random or erratic (that can go instantly fast or slow can go right or left can shine or fade etc)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Heatsta

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by markymint

Hey markymint,i did'nt realise there was such a lot of "moving star" activity! Till i joined this site yesterday..what i HAVE noticed is that these "star imposters" are often surrounded by a hardly detectable "haze" instead of the usual corona(pardon me if thats not the right word) that one can see round the real stars..and they,the ones in the haze,tend to move quite freneticaly sumtimes..

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

If it interacts with one,and this is witnessed by a sceptic,who agrees that it is,in fact happening,its propably not a star..or satellite.Still,you were not addressing me,so im not bickering..just a thought.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join