It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flu Hybrid in N. VA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
At 3:45am Wednesday morning my fiancee rushed his ex-wife to the emergency room - he's that kind of guy & other than an ambulance she had no other means of transportation to the hospital. She had a 102 fever, vomiting, stomach pain, severe body pain, was delirious & incoherent & has a compromised immune system as it is. Four hours, 7 vials of blood, an anti-nausea pill, anti-diarrheal & 2 perocets later she was home with a diagnosis of "flu hybrid". That was it, no information given as to what strain(s), recovery time, how contagious or dangerous this is. As ill as she was they apparently didn't seem to be terribly concerned but given how quickly the virus mutates & can become a super-strain I AM concerned. How are the flu reports in y'alls areas & has anyone else been diagnosed with a flu hybrid?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by claireaudient

So, are they saying this is a new flu or mutated flu virus they have no name for?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

They didn't say. The diagnosis was simply "flu hybrid". When he told me that my reaction was
I'm a medical student yet this is the first I've heard regarding a local case. My ex-husband is an officer in the Marine Corps, his MOS is CBRN (chemical, biological, radiological & nuclear). He's always been kept updated on mutating viruses, strains, vaccinations, etc & her diagnosis bowled him over as well.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

This from webmd.

Hybrid Flu: A disease that occurs when genes from animal influenza viruses mix with human flu viruses. For example, the new virus responsible for the swine flu is believed to be a mix of pig, bird (avian), and human flu viruses. Hybrid flu viruses have caused pandemics twice in the past, in 1957 and 1968.

www.webmd.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I am not sure if it was a "Flu Hybrid", but last weekend I did have a severe flu. Diarrhea, violent vomiting, dehydration, fever, cold sweats, pale, dark circles under my eyes, and needed a saline IV and anti nausea shots and pills. It was a sunday so the only thing open was the Urgent care center (and it was cheaper than the ER), so that is why I am unsure if it was a hybrid or not.

However, it was incredibly contagious. My girlfriend got it, which isn't surprising since she was taking care of me. The weird thing is though is that her mom got it, my boss got it, a bunch of people at my gf's workplace, and my dads fiance. Now my gf is really the only one I had the chance to give it too. It went around South Florida like crazy.
edit on 29-12-2011 by derst1988 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

This is rather strange and does cause me a little concern although I try very hard not to let my thoughts stray too far to the negative side.

I'm very close to your area but, haven't heard anything of a hybrid flu. I have some friends at the local hospital and will definately give them a call today to see if they have seen anything like this.

I'll let you know if I hear anything related.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by derst1988

Wow, that sounds spot on to his ex- wife's symptoms! When he got to her place she was buried under several blankets, shivering from cold yet sweating from the fever. So glad y'all came out of it OK & hopefully once it works its way through the region that's it, over & done.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

Thank you Magestic, I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates any additional information!
I'm concerned because of the virulent nature of some of these strains....not to mention that, to me, nausea is the worst feeling in the world. I'm also very suspicious that this could be a manufactured hybrid.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

No problem at all...I experienced a violent bout of the flu last year and NEVER want to go through that again. I rarely get sick so for me it was like pure hell and yes, nausea is horrible and even worse followed with vomitting.

I left a few voicemails a bit ago and will post back when I hear something.

Stay healthy!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Thanks again! I generally try to keep Dramamine in the house, especially this time of year, in the event that the boys or I should come down with something. Like you I'm rarely ill but in addition to med school I work in the mall....the assistant manager of a children's clothing store....so I'm in constant contact with the contagious little buggers carrying every creepy crawly from daycare & school. Thank goodness for an amazing immune system!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Ok, I've heard back from some of my former co workers and they haven't seen anything other than just the normal type of sickness this time of the year. I asked them to let me know if they see anything unusual and they said no problem. So, if I hear anything I'll post back. I do have a bit of a sense of relief after hearing that so fingers crossed that it stays that way.

You definately must have an amazing immune system considering where you spend most of your time. I have two little germ factories of my own that are both in school now so I make sure to have lots of lysol and hand sanitizer in stock.

My goodness, you must have a very busy life w/ kids, med school, and a job. How in the world do you manage it all? Sorry, that's a bit off topic but, I'm impressed.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Thank you for the post..had no idea...having a 17 year old i can only hope that this doesnt come around here..but im sure it will,..we live in west Virginia not far from north av.....on my...its been pretty healthy here....we are blessed

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Thanks for the update. Good to know that this is, possibly, limited. Keeping my fingers crossed that she isn't the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.
I do what I have to do & also have 2 teenage boys at home, it's a matter of survival & looking to the future, trying to secure a better life for us....provided there's a life beyond the next US revolution LOL

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

Lots of hand washing, gargle with diluted hydrogen peroxide & sanitize hard surfaces in your home. Hand washing is still the best first line of defense as it's impossible to isolate yourselves from the world outside.
Stay healthy! .....wow, that sounded a wee bit like a Dos Equis commercial.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The good news is that it doesn't seem like the 60% mortality rate I was told to expect with the H1N1. Perhaps it is a different hybrid?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

Let's hope so. I refuse to allow my kids to have the flu vaccination or get it myself - at least until my internship requires it then fingers crossed that there are no adverse effects!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
even if it is the flu, some of my family had those same symptoms a little while back and they are fine now. I'm sure your victim will be OK. In northern virginia as well

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

She'll be fine. She was back to screaming at her 17 year old son within minutes of walking through the door from the hospital, it's just a scary scenario to know someone to become so ill within a matter of a few short hours. Had he not taken her to the ER after the above mentioned child called it could have had a very different outcome. As I stated before, she had a high fever, cold sweats, was not only incoherent but delirious as well. With an already weakened immune system (extenuating circumstances not related to the flu) their boys could have been left without a mother.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Thanks for the info. This is worth watching, imho.

....Most of the flu we get is a "hybrid," especially these days. Might be their way of saying ooops, we're vaccinating for the wrong strains this year.

S&F

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Hey everyone, I'm in Northern VA too. Christmas Eve I became "flu" ill in a matter of hours. I was sick for about 8 days. I felt better (like superhuman better, I felt awesome) for about a day but since I've had an awful sore throat and sleep sweats and aches like none other. Can't afford to go to the Dr even tho I know having a sore throat for more than a few days is bad. According to various friends, family, and Facebook it is pretty weird how many people are getting sick this year and how no one seems able to completely shake it. I'm not too worried though, I live with my boyfriend and he's fine. He's always had a superstar immunities system though. Just giving my report from this part of the US.

Stay safe and have a blessed New Year!

new topics

top topics

join