It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alibaba hires U.S. lobbying firm as it eyes Yahoo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Alibaba hires U.S. lobbying firm as it eyes Yahoo

news.yahoo.com

(Reuters) - Alibaba Group has hired a Washington lobbying firm in a sign that the Chinese e-commerce company would be willing to make a bid for all of Yahoo Inc in the event that talks to unwind their Asian partnership fail.

Japan's Softbank Corp, which owns a 30 percent stake in Alibaba and is a partner in Yahoo Japan, is also listed as an Alibaba affiliate in the disclosure by the lobbying firm, Duberstein Group Inc.

Alibaba Group's founder, Jack Ma, said in September he was keen to buy all of Yahoo if the opportunity presented itself.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Wow. I just don't know about this, but it's certainly more evidence that things are becoming global.

Just as the Saudi Prince just purchased $300 million worth of Twitter, we're seeing this shortly there after. It's not enough that major corporations are outsourcing jobs overseas, but now foreign countries are purchasing all or part of major tech companies. What is America left to own?Maybe we've become so poor and/or money hungry that we're simply selling everything down to the bolts that hold the front door on.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
From article:

"The national security concern is sometimes just an excuse for commercial concerns for any country, but certainly for the United States," said Mark Natkin, managing director of Beijing-based consultancy Marbridge Consulting. "I don't think there should be a big concern (for Alibaba buying Yahoo). Users may share or keep as much data as they like.

Yeah. I bet. Great for them.
I guess it's no different than the fact that our own government's documents and communications are passing through Chinese servers. Go figure.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
As soon as a Chinese company buys Yahoo, I will abandon Yahoo immediately.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Good idea, but I'm afraid you should start packing your bags.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Like you would know if the Chinese had a piece of Yahoo and didn't want to inform you. It's publicly traded.

Like our Government.

LOL... Thanks for the funny wake up.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

True, but people need to realize that this is bigger than that.

While they would jointly make a bid for the whole company, the idea was for the buyout firms to take over Yahoo's U.S. operations and for Alibaba and Softbank to get the Asian assets.

But a buyout of Yahoo has now been put on the backburner as the U.S. Internet company is considering a proposal to address just the Asian assets that Alibaba and Softbank want. That plan, valued at roughly $17 billion, would reduce Yahoo's 40 percent stake in Alibaba and get Yahoo out of Yahoo Japan, sources told Reuters last week.

Yahoo is exploring proposals to revamp its business in the face of competition from Internet heavyweights such as Google Inc and Facebook.

Google and Facebook are helping to bring about ultimate ruin.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Here's one of the most important aspects about the lobbying firm Alibaba has hired:

The Duberstein Group is headed by Kenneth Duberstein, a former White House chief of staff under U.S. President Ronald Reagan. Its other clients include BP America Inc, Goldman Sachs & Co and Pfizer Inc.

This information is just plain frightening.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Any stock that goes public has already been siphoned off by the insiders, including our ex and current government employee's. It's one of the perks of the good old boy network.

I agree it's a disgusting perk. Public stocks LOVE foriegn investment too. Cranks the value up.

It's "investing" in the US dollar and currency and our businesses. The Global economy is already here. It has been forever. It just "seems" like we should have a few more systems in place to protect our assets. But then again, that would be more regulation and we don't want THAT do we? (Sneers)

How convenient.

Great references included in your posts. Nice and clean. S and F'd.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

Just set up a new account in the last few minutes.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

Don't worry. We're certainly sharing the same viewpoint. I'm just wondering how Yahoo News may be affected if every aspect of the company is owned by the Chinese. They are total control freaks when it comes to what their citizens can and can't do or say, so wouldn't they be conducting the same type of filtration upon the American people?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by Afterthought

Just set up a new account in the last few minutes.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

You mean like how Murdoch slants Fox News, or Beck slants his website, or Jones slants his website, or Rense slants his website, or Arianna Huffing ghost slants her website??

You mean like THAT? Yeah, I could see the Chinese Govenment slanting(no pun intended) Yahoo.

Oh well. Should we buy or sell the stock, regardless of the end result on the political adgenda.? Oh, I don't play the market.

Party on.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I look at this news the same way I saw the news of "mystery companies buying up us gun manufacturers" and the news of the prince buying a bunch of Twitter. You don't buy a company with private millions just to close it or change it to fill a political agenda. We have successful companies, especially online, and other countries want a piece of that. Right now our stocks are super cheap so in their eyes it's like a close-out sale.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by badfish420

I wish someone could tell me what the US is purchasing besides junk from China, Taiwan, and tech and 4
autos from Japan.

It's just unsettling. About a year ago, there was a small plot of land for sale in my small town. They didn't list it for sale locally. Instead, they listed it on eBay. I never heard who ended up purchasing it, but I wouldn't doubt if it was someone in another country.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Next thing you know, our congressmen will become individual corporations and will be able to be bought and sold.

top topics

join