It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FREE Enterprise Being Strung Up In Oxford, MS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I just wanted to throw this out there for anyone and everyone cuz maybe someone can draw some attention to this mess and can have some influence whereas maybe I could not.

This is kinda long so don't kill me. It's the cities proposed new regulations for the taxi industry in Oxford, MS which is in fact one of it's largest and most profitable industries due to it being a college town and generating so much buzz around baseball and football seasons. There are quite literally between 9-10 taxi companies here (which is more than Memphis, TN or Jackson, MS has btw) each company having somewhere between 5-20 vehicles!

Note: The parking here for taxis is quite literally almost nonexistent. We are now not allowed to park in any of the available "special" spots and then go in anywhere to get something to eat or we receive a ticket for "leaving our vehicle unattended." We also may not block traffic in order to pick anyone up or we will receive a ticket for "obstructing traffic." I don't know about you but it seems a heck of a way to thank an industry that is saving countless lives by taking the drunk college kids home and preventing DUI's and many deaths I'm quite sure, when they have not provided us with any parking and have all but refused to do so any time it is brought up and then when there is no where to park we receive a ticket for pulling to a stop when flagged down and picking people up!

This is not the end you say? *GASP* NOPE NOT EVEN CLOSE NOW THIS!

Look here these are the new regulations for taxi owners and drivers.

Click Here for full document!

We have what is called a flat rate and "shared" taxi system in Oxford, MS every company uses it. That basically means we charge a flat rate to go to and from any given destination in Oxford and we try and fit as many people in the taxi as possible. Soloing it or one person riding by themselves while there are crowds of people waiting for rides is unacceptable so to speak. Now the city has stepped in with mandated prices we are not to go over, when many of these companies have been established for many years or as little as one year and have already established prices and a price list that all our customer bases are happy with.

Essentially what's going on is a lot of this is said to be being done for the fairness and safety of the "patrons." That's fine but where's our representation? We're not getting any plain and simple! Someone call the unions, the ACLU, a constitutional lawyer, or somebody and see if we can't get some heavy hitters on the side of the taxi companies out here!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I am sympathetic for your cause

I live near Oxford England, that's what drew me to your post.

Vote Ron Paul, he will stop all this over-regulation

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I'd like to see this get into court. How can any city dictate what a private company charges?I think the city is gonna lose this one.
As for your gripe about not being able to park in special spots, whatever that means...do you mean handicap spots?
You have no more rights than me whatever the spot is,maybe reserved?. Park with everyone else.
Stopping in the street to pick up a fare and getting fined is pretty lame.Most cities have" double parking" laws, but for normal people, not business vehicles like cabs, delivery trucks unless they are unattended for a long time.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mugger

The "special spots" I'm referring to are hashmarked out spots that are considered for loading or no parking zones that have become known as preferred taxi spots. The police use them, people park there to pick someone up and leave their flashers on (although citizens may receive a ticket for this), and taxicabs park there at night. Typically in cities with as many taxis and taxi companies as we have, have their own "taxi spots" which we do have 2 of officially, but the number of taxis we have is too great for this to be of benefit or even in a place like Nashville, TN they have their own lane for taxis which is just a really wide bike lane basically where taxis can pull up and park next to all the major businesses. We have literally over 100 taxis including larger 15 passenger vans, 20+ and 50+ sized buses, and all of the regular taxis are no smaller than full sized mini vans. So we're not talking about parking for full sized sedans I'm talking 8 seater vehicles here. So we need some room and I would say as many fees and taxes and insurance and everything that these companies are providing to the city and county we should be duly represented in these matters instead of regulated to the point of pain by causing extra expenses and headaches for us. You know?

edit on 29-12-2011 by DragonSpirit2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Soapusmaximus

As a matter of fact I love Ron Paul, however I believe that the government and systems surrounding it have become so decayed and corrupt that we merely have the illusion of choice in this country therefore I do not vote. There's lots of arguments surrounding it like "then you can't complain" oh yes I can as a matter of fact I have every right to say something because I haven't voted a single loser into the position of congress person or president, can most others say the same? No because almost and I mean almost every politician and president has been corrupt or failed to live up to the promises they made.

I am definitely though Pro Ron Paul, if he becomes one of the 3 Major National Candidates I may change my policy for him and him alone but he has to make it there first.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I assume that with that many companies you have gone as a group to city council meetings. What was there reaction? Hostile, apologetic, indifferent?

Just a side thought, what would happen if all taxis in the city refused to operate on homecoming? Then would the city fathers be more, or less, inclined to let you park and make other adjustments in their laws?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Actually they called us all in as far as the representatives of all the different taxi companies and said this is what we're going to do etc.....and we all had points to make about the different things but they literally would cut us off and say well really beyond a certain point it's not up for debate or discussion! And I think that if we "went on strike" so to speak they would be ecstatic because Oxford,MS has atleast up until recently had one of the highest per capita DUI rates in the country and the taxi business has grown and flourished as a result, causing the number of DUIs and therefore revenue to go down in this little town who prides themselves on busting college kids! So I think they are praying for us to do just that. I think the thing to do is get an organization involved like a Union or the ACLU of Mississippi and shed some negative publicity on them and they may stop.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DragonSpirit2

Dear DragonSpirit2,

I did a little looking and found an article discussing the cabs in New York. They had some similar problems and worked out a deal with the city. Maybe some ideas or support from them?

New York cab dispute
With respect,
Charles1952

new topics

top topics

join