It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off Duty Cop Kills Man In Bar

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
And by the way, just because he linked to a blog means absolutely zero until you read the blog post and then see, volia, it links to this source:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

So it seems you may have judged the source without getting the full picture...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

We are already subject to initial as well as ongoing psyche screening, mandatory and random drug screening. The genetic screening might be a bit to far with the current level of technology.

As far as determining who is good or bad with police, I agree and the same holds true when we try to determine if the person we are dealing with is good or bad. Even those who start out good can go bad at a moments notice.

It is true our mindset is to treat people we come into contact with as a potential threat, and because of that officers will vary in their approach. As far as arrogance goes I agree in some cases, and in others I submit that command presence can be taken as arrogance, and at least to me their is a difference.

If I tell a person to pull their hands out of their pockets while I'm dealing with them, its not because I'm on a power trip - it truly is a safety issue. People don't seem to understand that any item can be dangerous and deadly, from nail clippers to a pen or pencil. To those who might not understand why, I ask this. If you were stabbed in the arm / thigh / ear / eye with a pen or pencil, and then attacked where the person is trying to get any of your tools away from you, it can become extremely difficult to defend oneself.

Also, when we are dealing with a call, the people present are temporarily detained. They are not under arrest, but their freedom of movement / speech / etc is temporarily curtailed until we can figure out whats going on. Because of that, the Supreme Court has ruled those peoples safety are the responsibility of the officers present, regardless of what the person may think.

This is one of the reasons we are very strict about people getting out of cars on traffic stops or having 3rd party people get close / try to involve themselves. Those 3rd parties also become our responsibility, and if a person is injured because of their actions when we failed to act, we are screwed.

What we ALL should be doing is taking part in government. For some reason, I am more comfortable with people voicing their concerns / complaints at city council meetings than directly at the officers simply because of the possibility of a lack of understanding on either persons part. Also, for those of us who wear ear pieces, if a priority call comes in, we dont always have the time to explain why we need to leave, and that perception is bad as well when we bail out on a conversation with no explanation.

Communication though is an absolute must, even with the possibility of danger involved in that communication. There is danger in everything we do, and we should not simply give up talking to the police / police talking to the people we serve because its possible a civilian / cop may go bonkers at that moment and start a 7 state shooting spree.

There is a lot of misunderstanding on both sides and only communication is going to help that process.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
And by the way, just because he linked to a blog means absolutely zero until you read the blog post and then see, volia, it links to this source:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

So it seems you may have judged the source without getting the full picture...

Yup.. your inability to read before posting is certainly unique yet not surprising. As I stated earlier I never challenged the info present or defended the cop. What I said I took exception to was stating the officer is being charged with an execution. Since there is no such crime, its impossible for the officer to be charged with it.

Since the paper nor the blog, nor the people present did anything to resolve any of the questions I posed, they are... wait for it.... presenting one side of the story. Why are those questions important? Because the answers can very much affect charges.

The goal is to find the truth, regardless if we like where that truth leads us.
edit on 31-12-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Ahah ! Just as I suspected ! You don't know what made this cop go off and I didn't expect you to know exactly.
But the reply you provided was just what I was looking for. I don't see how this is any more than a shooting at this point. No one who isn't directly involved in this case can say what the hell is going on. We can only speculate about what was going on with someone who had everything going for himself and just up and tossed it.
This is a tragedy all the way around for a lot of people we know nothing about. This isn't like a bunch of cops beating someone to death or anything like that. So I think people should try an obstain from any cop bashing
in this case. I mean the guys locked up and he hasn't recieved any special treatment that I know of. I think, we wait and see. Maybe OP will keep us up to date on this. Right now, we have a shooting and the perp could have been a postal worker just as easy. This time it just happens that he was a police officer.
edit on 31-12-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
OK wait.....wait...stop me if you've heard this one......

A off duty cop walks into a bar......

Cops are people too....and at last look, people have been flippin out all over....not just cops...

Maybe its the heat.......

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Update - The officer has been charged with murder.

Off-Duty Calif. Cop Charged With Murder After Allegedly Shooting Bar Patron Over Darts Comments

An off-duty cop in California has been charged with murder after he reportedly shot a fellow bar patron during a game of darts.

Reports indicate that Dayle William Long, a 10-year department veteran of the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department, yelled “I’m a cop, I can do whatever I want to” before pulling the trigger.

Some reports Long then called police to report the shooting. However, he wasn’t so much turning himself, a family member told the Times.

“He was calling dispatch and telling them shots were fired, like he was a cop,” the relative said. He was eventually arrested.

If convicted, Long faces 50 years in prison.

So far, as it should be and not signs of preferential treatment because he is (was) a cop.

Another source -
Off-Duty Cop Arrested in Bar Shooting

..................The bar shooter, an off-duty Riverside County sheriff’s deputy, surrendered himself to police without a struggle at the front door, Lt. Tony Conrad said.

The suspect, sheriff's Deputy Dayle Long, 42, was detained and transferred to Murrieta police headquarters for questioning, sheriff's Sgt. Joe Borja said today.

The deputy worked for the Sheriff's Court Services West Division, but did not work in the Southwest Detention Center in French Valley, Borja said.

LA Times

edit on 1-1-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join