It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Shepherd Ship Severely Damaged by Rogue Wave

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
So when people like those on the sea Sheppard take matters into their own hands its a good thing.

Yes because no one else is doing anything about it. Instead of bad mouthing Sea Shepherd, how about you do something like protest the government to actually enforce the laws?

I don't think you all realise what effect of killing whales has on the Eco-system.

One of the paper's authors, Dr Jim Estes of the University of California at Santa Cruz, said yesterday: "In principle, we think that when any species is exploited to excess - be it pollock, halibut or whales - it may trigger a broad and devastating 'domino effect', and the ecosystem impacts are significant. What we've seen is that the kelp forest ecosystem in south-western Alaska went from being robust to being gone. It's staggering that it occurred over such a large area in such a short time, just a few years.

Slaughter of great whales leads to ecosystem decline

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I have done something about it, and my government is a signature to the ban. If we are allowed to force a law on a country who doesn't agree with the law, then can we invade countries who slaughter their own people?

Are animals more important or less important than people?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

They're equally important. If they all die, we all die.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

They're equally important. If they all die, we all die.

Then why do we make distinctions? Why do we get pissed when something is not done to stop the wholesale slaughter of animals, yet ignore it everywhere else when it deals with people? Im not intentionally trying to be an ass in the thread, I just dont understand why people accept unilateral action in one instance yet completely disdain and reject it in the exact same situation.

Why should it be a government who must step in to stop Japan? Couldn't it be more easily accomplished if the Japanese people didnt create a demand for the product?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

You asked a specific question, I answered in an equally specific manner.

No fauna, no peeps.

Of course, no peeps doesn't mean no fauna.
Maybe it would be best if we tried to be more capable caretakers rather than just takers. There's a lot to be said about proper wildlife management... ask any hunter.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

It didnt really answer my question though regarding the people vs whales mindset issue. We cant survive without fauna, yet everything else on this planet can survive without us. God if that doesnt put the nail in the coffin regarding the debate if humans evolved or somehow popped up after a game of interstellar DNA mix and match.

It comes back to supply and demand. If people didnt demand the item, then there would be no reason to supply it. Wouldnt it not make more sense and be a better use of resources to work on changing peoples minds about eating / using the whales?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

You'd have as much chance of changing the Japanese taste for whale meat as you would mine for venison.

The trouble is that some whale species are on the verge of extinction while venison, around my parts, is far too plentiful.

I'll not voice my opinion one way or another on whales, though, because certain people who live on that chunk of land called Canada also hunt whales.

Shhhh... don't tell anybody.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

I have done something about it, and my government is a signature to the ban. If we are allowed to force a law on a country who doesn't agree with the law, then can we invade countries who slaughter their own people?

International laws apply to every country. There is no disagreeing with the law right? Otherwise your argument about Sea Shepherd breaking the law would be a contradiction.

No one needs whale meat. We do need the whales. Don't you get it? It's rather arrogant to believe we are more important than the rest of nature. Typical attitude though. Once again in case you missed it the first time, if the whales become existence, we become extinct.

edit on 12/31/2011 by ANOK because: typo

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Wouldnt it not make more sense and be a better use of resources to work on changing peoples minds about eating / using the whales?

The people who eat whale meat are well aware of the issues.

Would you stop eating meat if I explained how it negative effects on the eco-system, and that it is not good for you? No, you would argue against those points and continue eating meat no matter what, right?

So no, that doesn't work.

In December 2007, a 31-one country coalition delivered a demarche (diplomatic protest) to Japan, condemning the whale hunt...
Then, in May 2008, Greenpeace uncovered a huge scandal; prime cuts of whale meat were being smuggled ashore by the crew of the Japanese whaling factory ship, Nisshin Maru, for illegal trade and personal gain, at the Japanese taxpayer's expense. The story drew massive media coverage in Japan, and the ire of many Japanese people, incensed at the corruption at the heart of the whaling industry. Our work resulted in an investigation of the whaling industry by Tokyo's public prosecutor, and a massive blow to the credibility of Japan's whaling programme.

www.greenpeace.org...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I clearly predicted this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

So when people like those on the sea Sheppard take matters into their own hands its a good thing. When Israel does it people scream bloody murder over it. I personally am waiting for the day they piss Japan off enough where they send naval vessels to protect their fleet. Apparently the boobs on the Sea Sheppard didn't learn their lesson when they had one of their vessels run over by a Japanese vessel. Its only going to take another moronic attempt to board the vessel to arrest the captain before they realize the Japanese crews can legally repel borders.

Trying to arrest the Captain can be taken as possible piracy as well.

I think whaling should be outlawed.. However the people bitching in this thread about US over reach seem to be hypocritical in this thread when it deals with a subject they seem to agree with.

riiiggghhht....

The irony and lack of common sense abound in this thread...
edit on 30-12-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-12-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

What the hell does israel have to do with stopping the japanesse from whaling in the southern ocean?

In case you are trying to make it a left vs right issue, just know I support israel in their quest for self-protection.

In fact if they had taken national security more serious from day 1, nobody would be in this terrible mess now.

Thanks for making me go off-topic. You and most republicans seem to have an obsession with israel which others do not share.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I am sorry but at the end of the day the Sea Sheperds actions although may be admiral (to some) they are doing more bad than good through their methods.

reply to post by ANOK

this my friend IS key I apologize for my bigotry but I am human so in my eyes WE are more important, this is why Inuits in my eyes can hunt all they need Whale wise as they need those resources, but that being said do the Japanese need to fish whales? and are they over fishing like I have seen with many creatures in my own waters? this I can't say

All I know is this... man has extended his lifespan in a world that well is not fun to live in, because of our success we have demised many a species and most likely many more to come for too long man has over populated or under populated far too many species for his own gain.

This in general is what we need to get over we as a species are wiser than anything on this planet we have ever known, we should use this wisdom we were given for the protection of ALL life.

Can we not get over our pettiness? for the better of all life kind?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join