It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Shepherd Ship Severely Damaged by Rogue Wave

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Sea Shepherd Ship Severely Damaged by Rogue Wave

www.seashepherd.org

While fighting heavy seas in pursuit of the Japanese whaling fleet, the Sea Shepherd scout vessel Brigitte Bardot was struck by a rogue wave that has cracked the hull and severely damaged one of the pontoons on the vessel.

Captain Paul Watson, onboard the Sea Shepherd flagship Steve Irwin, reports that they are fighting heavy seas to reach the position of the Brigitte Bardot some 240 miles to the southeast. It is expected to take twenty hours to reach the damaged.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
It appears, at least for now, that the crew of the Bridget Bardot will be ok. we'll know for certain in about 16 hours.

Obviously, these waters are dangerous even in the best of times, and the Bridget Bardot is not the hardiest of vessels, being a scout and all.

I wish them the best, personally, and hope noone gets hurt or worse.

www.seashepherd.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
YES!

They had it coming to them. While i support their ideologies regarding whaling (There should be none in my opinion), there is only so many times you can act stupidly without getting nailed yourself. (He loves to ram into the Japanes ships, sometimes destroying them, however most the time it does nothing. And then when the Japanese take 3 of them hostage, they freak out, then the Aussie clearance divers/commandos had to help them).
edit on 29-12-2011 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-12-2011 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

At least he has acted. Wonder why the Japanese fleet hasn't answered the SOS?

I agree, his tactics and equipment could be better. He does what he can with what he has, especially since that is not the only thing they do. If I had the cash to give them a high speed interceptor so they could stop using these glorified yachts as scouts, I certainly would.

Ramming the ships is not the best solution, of course. However, when you are dealing with mafia backed scum with no honor, you gotta fight dirty sometimes.. at least that is my opinion.

Opinions aside, though, I still hope they make it safely to port.
edit on 12-29-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

I'd sure agree in saying it was inevitable and it'll happen again too. I am sure this won't drive them off and it should't. I'd say that that is a far cry from saying he had it coming though. Ouch..... These guys are the ultimate in people putting their actions where their mouth is.

I wish I could be out there with them...but I always wish them the best. The Japanese need to demand an end to the slaughter. These beautiful animals could very well turn out of be highly intelligent and simply possessing a totally alien way of communicating.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Yeah i agree with both of you on this one. He does take irresponsible actions, but in my opinion, they are doing them for the right cause. I really hope that no one is injured. Hopefully they pull through.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Got out of that one. Freezing ocean temperatures make their lot dangerous regardless of the seasons. Down there it is cold, cold and very cooold. Glad to hear they are holding their own for now. Brave souls to risk such a dangerous mission. One misstep and everyone popsicle.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

You wonder why the Japanese fleet hasn't responded?

If you were doing something that was completely legal by all international standards and laws, and a group of renegade people who are deadset that their beliefs are right are constantly attacking your ship with prop foulers, stink bombs, slippery bombs, lasers, and assorted other underhanded tactics...would you really go help them out after they have an accident?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MRedfield

In those waters? That is like leaving a broken down car load of people on the side of the road during a winter storm. It's irresponsible and lacks even a passing level of humanity. The Japanese could at least come in close and be prepared to render aid if necessary. These guys aren't trying to kill the Japanese...just make their hunting of the whales too costly to continue each season.

It's not like this even happened while engaged with a Japanese whaler. The story indicates this was a natural freak accident that could as easily have struck the Japanese. Something tells me the Sea Shepards would show the Humanity to answer the SOS of a Japanese ship.

edit on 29-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

link   
Hope everyone will be ok
so they can continu chasing the illegal savage whaling japanese barbaric fleet
they are a disgrace to humankind

Long live to the Sea Shepherd crew and Paul Watson
a proud Canadian Amiral Commander

who has sacrificed his entire life to protect the most inteligent species on earth

May God protect these heroes at the Sea Shepherd

link   

Actually, yeah, I do. Their tactic (the Japenese Fishing Industry, that is) has always been to stay within the grey area of the law. What they do is technically not illegal, only because of loopholes. Ignoring an SOS is a violation of international maritime law.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

...You're missing the point.

Maritime law says that you cannot leave a ship in distress if you're able to answer the call. Maritime law also says you cannot knowingly attack another vessel with means to disable it or harm the occupants on board (both of which the Sea Shepherd people are trying to do). Would you answer a distress call from a ship that had just tried to foul your prop in arctic waters knowing that it could just be a ploy to get another shot at you?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000 Something tells me the Sea Shepards would show the Humanity to answer the SOS of a Japanese ship.

They did, actually. The SOS was prompted by the SSCS engaging a prop fouler, but they did at least answer the subsequent SOS.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Would you answer a distress call from a ship that had just tried to foul your prop in arctic waters knowing that it could just be a ploy to get another shot at you?

In a word and at the risk of being a one liner, just this once? YES!

2nd

edit on 29-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: Added quote for context....

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRedfield

You wonder why the Japanese fleet hasn't responded?

If you were doing something that was completely legal by all international standards and laws, and a group of renegade people who are deadset that their beliefs are right are constantly attacking your ship with prop foulers, stink bombs, slippery bombs, lasers, and assorted other underhanded tactics...would you really go help them out after they have an accident?

Last Whale wars season .. the japanese harpoons vessel was damage in a prop feller
and they say someone was hurt .. which was a lie
Paul Watson offered assistance to help them out since they had broadcast a help distress
but it was a tactic to win time so the sea shepherd wont be able to find the big mothership

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Capt. Watson is a hero defending the helpless from barbaric cruelty and greed at great personal risk.

I hope they all get home safe and sound. Godspeed.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Why are some of you saying that their actions are irresponsible and that they had it coming to them? It isn't like the Japanese whalers used their magic powers to conjure up and send a rogue wave in their direction. This happened because the scout ship is almost like a toy, and the sea can be an extremely rough place. I know this from firsthand experience...Well sort of. I used to watch Deadliest Catch a lot.

Point is that they probably should have stayed closer to the flagship if the weather was bad and the seas were rough. That seems to me like common sense for the environment, but I have zero experience out on the water in big boats. I am more at home in boat on the lake..And not a big lake either.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I love these guys . They are all volunteers who risk their lives for the most magnificant mammals , Whales .

The humans creature has proved themselves dispicable in their disregard for fellow creatures on the planet . So any good men who wish to step up and do the right thing and protect the animals we were given dominion over , I offer them all respect.
All those whimpy men who critize Sea Sheperd are just whimps .

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
The Japanese fleet has every right NOT to answer the Sea Shepherd boats distress call as they are nothing more than Pirates in the eyes of the law. Those who live by the sword should except any consequences.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

So in 16hrs time? Why dont they airdrop to cut the 16hrs atleast in half?
I am sure that dropping rafts etc from air would be so much quicker.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join