It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions on Guns for Self Defense

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I would advise you to by the biggest gun safe that you can afford, because, pretty soon, you will own so many guns, that you won't know where to hide them. LOL

Get an electronic combination lock for your gun safe, because they are faster to open. Make sure you buy one that has a fail-safe open method, in case the safes batterys go dead.

P.S. --- I'm not a "gun nut," but I'd rather like too consider myself as a "gun enthusiast."
edit on 29-12-2011 by Erno86 because: added P.S.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan

Originally posted by ElOmen
Home invasions are highly increasing in the south Texas area.

I too am getting to a point where I found myself buying a huge deadly machetes and I'm going for a shotgun next week and probably make buying firearms and anything to protect myself a hobby

Don't worry about Texas my brother, we got your back.

What you need to worry about is people that think they are "ElevatedOnes"
They will watch your speech and all your posts on ATS.

The "Elevatedones" are who you need to look out for.

Was that a joke? Or are the "elevated ones" the people that harrass ATS members by leaving strange notes on their property and sending bizarre e-mails asking you to meet them somewhere while they mess with your house, like that one guy who posted a story like that not that long ago.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If you have no experience with firearms and are looking for something for self defense than get a shotgun. You do not need any special training to use a shotgun in personal defense like you would for a pistol. And I can guarantee to you that extra holes in the wall will not be an issue after you have just had an encounter with a home invader. I would assume home insurance would take care of that and any stains that result. That said, Remington and Mossberg are your best bets.

But if you are still set on getting a pistol, local firearms stores should offer classes where you can learn the very basics about safety. And definitely go there to at least handle some guns and talk to the guy at the gun counter, they will be more than willing to help. Good brands for pistols are glock, smith and wesson, sig sauer, heckler and koch, ruger, springfield, etc. You can't go wrong with a name brand modern gun.

And if you have any friends who shoot then ask if you can tag along on their next range trip and get their advice.

Most importantly, learn the rules of gun safety before ever handling one. That is how accidents happen

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I'll chime in as a dedicated, full time gun nut.
The 1911 is, by far, the single best handgun design ever created by man, and I'm sure the hosts of heavens guided the hands of John Moses Browning when he designed it. I own twenty seven of them, and have yet to find one that I didn't want.
That being said, if this isyour first a hand gun, buy a revolver.
Revolvers are mechanicly more simple, have fewer moving parts, are inhearantly more reliable, and more creditor. The learning curve on a revolver is much quicker as they require less manipulation to operate safely, you can see if It's loaded or not without even having to pick it up, and you'll never have to fiddle with a safety, a magazine catch, or a slide lever.
Additionally, a solid .357 allows you to fire .38 ammunition as well, making range time less expensive, but if needed, full power .357 magnum rounds fire just as well.
The modern revolver: simpler, more reliable, and more versitle.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Get a good quality (read other posts on firearms) auto loading semi-automatic handgun (with a magazine). Some feel that a revolver pistol is more reliable but they hold fewer rounds. I would go for the .40 s&w calibre as the ballistics are comparable to the .45 (slightly smaller but faster resulting in the same ft/lbs of energy - varies w the manufacture) but you can load more rounds in a double stack magazine in the .40 than the single stack .45s (should you need them). You can load a few more 9mm than a .40 but you are sacrificing ballistic performance. Also unless you are very close and experienced you will probably experience greater accuracy with the 40 calibre.
Dont keep a loaded gun at home if you have children in the house. Safety foremost and practice shooting it for comfort and accuracy improvement. My choice (for me): H&K Custom Combat (.40).

top topics

<< 1   >>

join