It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions on Guns for Self Defense

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
What are some good hand guns for self defense? Something that is reliable but not expensive.

My sisters apartment neighbor's torso was found by their garbage can, his head and all his limbs were cut off. Not that I'm afraid of this happening to me.. but I see more and more stories on the news each night of people in my city being shot or having violent armed burglaries. I also recently had some things stolen from my car including all my address and key.

I am finally caving into the news fear campaign, I think I'm realizing that there are a lot of violent psychopaths in the U.S. regardless of the news blowing it out of proportion.

For those that have guns for self defense in their house, how do you keep them? Do you keep them loaded and easily accessible, or is that dangerous to do? I feel like keeping it locked up somewhere defeats the purpose of being able to get to it in a time of need.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Pick one from one of the more recognized brands, but make sure that it is comfortable for you to shoot. After you make your purchase the next step is becoming familiar with it's operation and safety. Follow this up with practice, practice, practice!

ETA: Glock, S&W, Ruger, H&K, Springfield and the likes are all good firearms. Don't go smaller than 9mm unless it is for every day carry, then you could go .380. If it is just for in home defense nothing is more nerve wrenching than the sound of a 12 gauge pump being chambered.
You can pick up a Mossberg persuader for a couple hundred bucks, or a Remington 870 for a little more.
edit on 12/28/2011 by SpaDe_ because: .............

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

The best handgun for defense is the gun you feel best with. What that means is, don't let someone else tell you what works best. Go to a few stores and get to holding a variety of them and working the actions to see what feels good in your hands and works for difficulty.

That is my opinion. Beyond that....Well, they say handguns are only carried because rifles are too large.
The bigger the better for what you're comfortable with....but even a .22 can be insanely lethal vs. it's size depending on the skill of the person shooting it.

If you're really lucky....find a range that rents guns. One here just opened and they have dozens of models to rent for shooting on their range. That would be the optimal solution for finding the best one, to my thinking. Good luck and I hope you find something really good for yourself!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

What are some more recognizable brands? I literally know nothing about guns, I was always really anti-gun in high school. I know there are some gun nuts around here so I'd rather get advice on decent brands from people who use them than the websites that sell them.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Home invasions are highly increasing in the south Texas area.

I too am getting to a point where I found myself buying a huge deadly machetes and I'm going for a shotgun next week and probably make buying firearms and anything to protect myself a hobby

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Smith and Wesson Sigma is a good light weight pistol chambered in 9mm. It's pretty reasonably prices. If you would like really cheap hi point is American made and good solid gun. Only bad thing about them guns are they are on the heavy side so if your going to carry it I wouldn't recommend that gun for a carry gun. I personally like the 1911 45 caliber pistols for defense. I figure you might want to make sure your attacker etc won't get up after you shot them. Just my take on it.

I have seen some deals on gunbroker.com that have hi point pistol and the high point rifle chambered in 9mm sell for less than 600 bucks. Might look into that also.
edit on 28-12-2011 by TopElite because: added last part.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Get a high point. They are cheap, not the best everyday gun, but definitely good for self defense. I reccomend the .45. Will stop any man. You can get a hi point .45 for 150.00
www.budsgunshop.com...
edit on 28-12-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

ETA: I have a couple of these and they are reliable, I didnt mean to downplay them they are just cheap guns, but they work, I guarantee it

edit on 28-12-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Guns for self protection is actually a complex situation.

cost for a gun should be meaningless ( it does have a meaning but not in selection)
First you have to focus on your surroundings ... apartment our close quarters you will desire a lower caliber...
380 is a good choice

but before you make that choice you have to look at what feels comfortable....

may place you in a different caliber.....

technically this is a question we can not answer...

but based on your question you should look into some sort of firearms training and research guns...
any gun is a good means of protection in the right hands

IF YOU ARE GOING TO TRUST YOUR LIFE TO SOMETHING DON'T GET SOME CHEAP P.O.S

Barretta ,Colt,Browning,Ruger,Bersa, just to name a few quality firearm manufactures....

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Oh.. I will make one quick comment about quality....when your very LIFE may depend on every single pull resulting in a successful series of actions happening perfectly, without fail, every single time.

If it costs less than $400-$500...ask yourself about priorities. Range guns are great, but they won't be what makes a life and death difference. Your carry weapon or nightstand gun will be.

So, a year from now or even 6 months......Will you even care enough to think back about the price tag or will you care more about knowing by then, by practice, that your weapon is 100%, perfectly reliable, and you truly would trust your very life to it?

Just my thoughts and I mention NO brands because brands exist on both sides of the line and even product lines within brand names can run from the junk to the military grade. Personal judgement and all that.......

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElOmen
Home invasions are highly increasing in the south Texas area.

I too am getting to a point where I found myself buying a huge deadly machetes and I'm going for a shotgun next week and probably make buying firearms and anything to protect myself a hobby

Don't worry about Texas my brother, we got your back.

What you need to worry about is people that think they are "ElevatedOnes"
They will watch your speech and all your posts on ATS.

The "Elevatedones" are who you need to look out for.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I've seen a lot of "I need a gun for self defense" posts in my life but this takes the cake. The reality is a lot of people recommend a LOT of different calibers. 9mm is popular for self defense. As is 380 auto, 357 magnum, et al.

The fact of the matter (reference google and 'pig board 1 and pig board 2') is that after extensive pig and human cadaver testing (along with live animal testing in the early 1900's by the british) that there are very few rounds suitable for self defense.

Ammo capacity is a minimum consideration; most self defense experts agree that in a self defense situation you will be fighting in around the 7 yard mark and it will be with a very short flurry of shots. You will not be exchanging 30 round magazines, stopping to reload three times before continuing your epic gun battle. It will be boom boom boom dead.

One major consideration is that the vast bulk of lethality from a bullet stems from crushing tissue and causing massive blood loss - preferably via vital organs. Almost a hundred years of testing have pretty well conclusively proven that the bigger the hole, the more blood loss occurs. 9mm (357, 380, 9mm are all types of approximately 9mm ammo) experts will say that the ideal is a 9mm JHP +P round in a 9mm. This is simply not true. JHP rounds do not effectively expand consistently; also as a JHP expands it will round and thus flow around critical tissue.

At the end of the day, if you want to stop someone fast and effectively buy a 45 acp. A taurus PT1911 is a good solid choice. It's purpose built to stop people quickly. I'm sure many will disagree with me. Do your own research. Definitely google the pig board.

Good luck and hopefully you never have to use it.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by rlnochance

Taurus PT 1911 is a great choice!! I just picked one up about 2 months ago for 450 used... Solid! This gun is awesome, put some hogue grips and it helped quite a bit with absorbing the recoil, and my grip is alot tighter also

I also saw the Sigma mentioned... I believe thats the 9mm with 15 or 16 round clips for around 300-350 new... Ive been checking those out all the time, but havent tried one... someone I know had one a few years back and loved it... Prolly gonna be my next purchase, that or a Beretta 92 FS

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by GodofWar411

cost for a gun should be meaningless ( it does have a meaning but not in selection)
First you have to focus on your surroundings ... apartment our close quarters you will desire a lower caliber...
380 is a good choice

Not very complex ..and surroundings? apartments? close quarters? I have a feeling your wouldn't like me. If you break into my house and holding a Barrett 50 cal sniper rifle guess what your getting shot with that gun. Caliber doesn't matter in self defense. Use a Ar-15 for home defense and put 30 rounds in them when they walk through the door . That's what I plan on doing.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Something else you should realize if you seriously want a gun. If someone comes through your front door, he should consider himself dead. You need to get him down fast and without hesitation. This was drilled into my head from childhood.

The liberals who whine that if I have a weapon it could be used on me better not come into my house uninvited.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I am one of those people you describe that keeps firearms for personal defense. I live in a lightly fortified compound behind a 7 foot fence with a pack of dogs ALL of my weapons are loaded, unlocked and probably aren't engaging the safety including my two personal carry pistols, plus the bathroom .45, bedroom .45, 12ga shotgun and several .22s. HOWEVER - I would not recommend this for anyone living in close quarters, around any kids of any age, or in a family setting due to the potential danger and liabilirty.

That having been said, I've been carrying and maintaining firearms proficiency for 38 years, so my confidence and comfort level is well established. Your actual mileage might vary a bit, but if you're thinking about getting a firearm, PLEASE invest in the training to use it and the mindset to survive the encounter.

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TopElite

I don't want to use a shotgun because I don't want all those extra holes in my wall! More work for me.

Sniper rifle: great. I actually want one even though I prefer pistols.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

Glad to hear...u have Mexican and Americans on your side don't let the representation of the media fool you we see each other as people..then there is the rest which is just criminals

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TopElite

Originally posted by GodofWar411

380 is a good choice

Not very complex ..and surroundings? apartments? close quarters? I have a feeling your wouldn't like me. If you break into my house and holding a Barrett 50 cal sniper rifle guess what your getting shot with that gun. Caliber doesn't matter in self defense. Use a Ar-15 for home defense and put 30 rounds in them when they walk through the door . That's what I plan on doing.

no it's about killing the person in the room that broke into your home not the person sleeping next door.....
i don't want to shoot a intruder and it go through the wall and hit my son or better half... that's all ....

other than that i will grab the first thing i can get my hands on....

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Get the most expensive pistol you can afford, like a Kimber; because the cost of ammo will far outstrip the cost of any pistol. I don't like Glock's because it is to easy for an accidental discharge -- I could go for a Sprinfield XD.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Look, if you want a good home defense weapon get a .357 magnum and use 158 grain hollow point rounds. That is enough take down power to handle anybody even if he were on pcp or whatever. It is a simple gun to use, it will never jam, you can always leave it loaded without worrying about ruining your magazine and six rounds should be more than enough to handle a home invader or two.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join