It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mystical powers of Barack Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

No, it is not the ability to walk on water as many believe, it is in fact what we may term clairvoyance. It is an oft repeated mantra that the stimulus package prevented a depression. Is this actually true or is it self-conflating propaganda. You decide.

Gross domestic product, as measured in monthly basis had fallen from 13.3 trillion in January of 2008 to 12.8 trillion in December of 2008. It then remained stable for the next three months, spiking slightly in January. The stimulus package was signed into law in Feburary of 2009. Deficit spending began that month and gross domestic product fell below 12.8 trillion. It rebounded slightly the next to months but fell again in July to its lowest point in years. The gross domestic product began to increase slowly, but not at rates seen earlier in the decade and well below the United States historical average of 3.1%

At that point economists declared the recession over but here is the interesting part. The stimulus package was only 15% complete at that point, meaning that all the allocated funds had not been disbursed prior to the recession ending. Even the President's own economists predictions matched the actual data:

White House economists forecast in January 2009 that, even without a stimulus, unemployment would top out at just 8.8% * — well below the 10.8% peak during the 1981-82 recession, and nowhere near Depression-era unemployment levels.

* it acutally went higher with the stimulus.

The same month, the Congressional Budget Office predicted that, absent any stimulus, the recession would end in "the second half of 2009." The recession officially ended in June 2009, suggesting that the stimulus did not have anything to do with it. source

If the recession ended in June with only a minimal amount of the stimulus reaching its intended targets, and the economy already having seen its darkest hours in late 2008, how did the stimulus prevent a depression? If we were not approaching depressionary economics how was one prevented. Was there an economic crystal ball that only the President was able to peer into to devine the future? It seems odd to claim credit for preventing an event that even your own people admit was not in the offing.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Wait a second, when did the recession end? Who the hell does that lying snake think he's kidding. I've only seen more homes being foreclosed on, more people losing their jobs, more people getting foodstamps, etc.
All that "stimulus" package did was expedite the inevitable collapse of a system that relies solely on perpetual debt and inflation.
It's either Ron Paul, or the fall of the republic, and even he might be too late...
It doesn't take a prophet to see that.

edit on 28-12-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

But...

But...

The MSM sez it's all getting better. Obama is making things better

Are they lying?

sarc off/

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

What stimulus are you speaking of exactly?
When was it enacted and who signed it?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Algernonsmouse

The bill that passed on Feburary 11th, 2009 and signed by President Obama. The one that had not even gone into effect when the economy began to recover. That stimulus bill....

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

The mystical powers of Barack Obama

The only mystical power Obama seems to have is his ability to still bamboozle people even after he's been POTUS for three years. After seeing him in action, I can't imagine why anyone would want to vote for him ... unless those 'mystical powers' have come into play.
JOKING.

Seriously though .. I highly doubt he has any mystical powers.
edit on 12/29/2011 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
*FACEPALM*

The stimulous package was just that, it was designed to stimulate.

What determines a good economy? A functioning economy has currency (debt or asset based) constantly flowing around it, all is well as long as people do not stop passing money around.
What stops people passing money around? Fear, when people are in fear they horde their money to make sure they are safe, it is like musical chairs when people start slowing down near an empty seat before the music stops.
As long as they can continue make people think the music will continue then the flow keeps going, the second people think they are in trouble everything grinds to a halt.

Stimulate the people = stimulate the economy.

The stimulous packages will work as long as people believe they are working, but eventually when no chairs are left (eveyone is going bankrupt) it becomes very hard to convince people all is well and to keep the flow going.
We dodged a bullet - but we are just delaying the inevitible collapse of our debt based system, but it will keep going as long as people believe it can keep going.
edit on 29-12-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-12-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by byteshertz
The stimulous package was just that, it was designed to stimulate.

I am well aware of what the stimulous (sic) was designed to do. Tthe arguement is what it was designed to do was already occurring prior to its implementation and that it allegedly adverted a depressions which even President Obama's White House advisors admit was incorrect.

We now get to enjoy for decades (if we are very unfortunate and remain ignorant) how this program averted a second Great Depression, just like how we had frequently heard how the New Deal allegedly ended the Great Depression, despite substantial economic evidence to the contrary.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Yeah it was way more fun when instead I was being robbed because I was promised it would keep me safe from all the evil Moslems that hated my ability to wear blue jeans. I guess I would rather have my bank account raided to at least stay inside the country than to blow up other people.

So you pick your lie. Spend billions to stave of depression.
Spend trillions to keep some guys in the desert from coming over here in row boats and killing us all.

You make a great case for Democrats.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

So you pick your lie. Spend billions to stave of depression.
Spend trillions to keep some guys in the desert from coming over here in row boats and killing us all.

Sorry, I was not a fan of Obama's predecessor either. Please stick to the topic and refrain from partisan attacks based on an assumed presumption of my political leanings.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Wow. Way to miss the point by about as far as anyone possibly ever could.
I never said you were a fan of anyone.

Sorry, I was not a fan of Obama's predecessor either. Please stick to the topic and refrain from partisan attacks based on an assumed presumption of my political leanings.

Show me the attack you speak of.

I will either apologize for it or explain it to you.
I know of no such attack.

edit on 30-12-2011 by Algernonsmouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

The bill that passed on Feburary 11th, 2009 and signed by President Obama. The one that had not even gone into effect when the economy began to recover. That stimulus bill....

Wait, what? So out of all the stimulus packages, only one bothers you. You are also bothered by the fact that instead of coming before prior stimulus packages, it came after? Why so choosy?
When exactly did the economy start to recover?
I am very curious.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Show me the attack you speak of.

I will either apologize for it or explain it to you.
I know of no such attack.

Here:

This thread is not about democrats or republicans. I am not making a case for or against either.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Wait, what? So out of all the stimulus packages, only one bothers you. You are also bothered by the fact that instead of coming before prior stimulus packages, it came after? Why so choosy?

They all bother me. This one, however, was even more repugnant as the premise was it was to stave off a depression which even President Obama's White House advisors admit was not in the offing.

When exactly did the economy start to recover?
I am very curious.

Did you not read my Original Post? Gross domestic product, which is the typical way to read the economy and determine whether it is recessionary or expanding, was already climbing in June of 2009 when the stimulus money began to enter the economic stream. It was therefore not in a recession, let alone a depression. All this shows is the perfidious self-aggrandizement of President Obama. I am glad that he saved me from something I did not need saving from.

new topics

top topics

join