It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PAIN!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
please,can someone tell me how to stop my hiccups!!! ya,i know it sounds funny,but 7 days ago i broke 3 ribs and c
racked 3 others,so every hiccup is agony!

PLEASE HELP!!!
thanx guys!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Drink a large glass of water from the opposite side you usually would... standing up.

Works every time bro

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Try to ignore them and your muscle which causes it will relax, there is no cure for hiccups.
You know most hiccups “cures” have been invented to entertain the hiccupper’s friends.
edit on 28-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Try to ignore them and your muscle which causes it will relax, there is no cure for hiccups.

Thats not true... What i posted IS a cure for the hiccups...

The action relaxes the diaphram...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
One regular large table type spoon (not the formal cooking tablespoon) full of white, processed sugar followed by several gulps of clean, cold water. I know it's probably a placebo effect...but it's worked since I was a little kid either way.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
this will work everytime.
take 3 matches and light them, put them out in a small glass of water
discard the matches
drink the water
seriously, it'll work.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

I'm sorry about your ribs
must be one of the worst conditions to be in and have the hiccups

Unfortunately in my quest to find the super hiccup cure I have come up short. I think just everyone reacts differently. The one thing that works consistently for me is taking in a long pull of air holding it for a moment and then slowly releasing it, I do this 3 to 5 times and they "usually" stop. I'm not sure how confortable this would be with the broken ribs though.

Akragon's remedy helps a lot of people I know as well, just doesn't work for me

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

I have yet to see it not work....

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
thanx everyone,i'll try them all!!!
any cure for broken ribs!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
One regular large table type spoon (not the formal cooking tablespoon) full of white, processed sugar followed by several gulps of clean, cold water. I know it's probably a placebo effect...but it's worked since I was a little kid either way.

aren't you supposed to hold your breath or something too?
just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down...... wish I could put a musical note on this

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Yup don't break them in the first place

PS how did you break em?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by horseplay

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

aren't you supposed to hold your breath or something too?
just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down...... wish I could put a musical note on this

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

What always works for me (unless I'm drinking...) is to take the deepest breath I can and hold for as long as possible. For good measure, repeat twice.

Drinking from the far side of a glass never did it for me when I was younger, and I haven't needed to look for other options since I started the breath trick.

Let us know if it works for you too - DEEP breaths held as long as possible.

EDIT:
Oh. If you've got broken ribs, can you try this? My bad, if not!

edit on 12/28/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This will work 100%

Take nine sips of water and a large gulp of water, Do it really quick before the next hicup (Feels like a race lol)

But it will stop it right away and works every time,,

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Hiccups are natures way of telling you, you are too acidic.

When the body is too acidic you become hypoxia (lack of oxygen) and carbon dioxide builds up.

So you need to address the pH balance by drinking milk/ ice cream/cream/yoghurt, etc for calcium and you also need more magnesium, ie nuts and seeds or a magnesium spray.

The cracked ribs are probably causing you to breathe shallow breaths and carbon dioxide is building up.

Get some Vitamin E capsules as this will help too; Vit E decreases the body's need for oxygen.

Hope I've helped.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
My friend used to get hiccups quite often and I'd sneak up behind him and say 'Boo' to frighten him - a cure for hiccups that I suppose nobody believes is effective.

He used to get cross and say it didn't work. So a couple of minutes later I'd ask him, not having heard any hiccups for a while, what happened to them.

He'd always tell me to get lost ( or something like that
) but just because he wouldn't admit they were gone didn't make it so

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
THE HICCUPS HAVE CEASED! the breathing thing really did work! thanx peeps your the best!

someone asked me how my broken ribs happened,well to make a very long story short,coming back from my neighbors house via the back yard path,wich was all muuddy,snowy,with rocks and trees in the way,when i got to the top,i lost my footing and slipped,fell hurt,rolled,hurt,and then hit a tree,and that hurt too!!
AND I WAS SOBER!!! probably would have been better if i was tippsy!!!

i'm ok,and thanx again folks for all yer help! peace

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AriesJedi

That is a pretty good theory.
The cracked ribs probably are changing his breathing habits.

But, as for the cure, someone has to scare you, or you have to do something silly like all the suggestions earlier to get your mind off the muscle spasms. Hiccups are entirely psychosomatic. You will have to distract your mind to get rid of the hiccups. You need something that entirely takes up your focus for a few moments and they'll pass.

top topics

join