It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guantanamo to reduce inmate rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Is that even possible?

The new commander of the Guantanamo Bay prison is seeking to impose significant restrictions on the communications allowed between the lawyers and inmates at the US military base in Cuba.

Under the new rules, a “privilege team,” which includes the Department of Defense and law enforcement officials, would conduct a security review of all communications between the lawyers in Washington and the prisoners at the military base in the southeastern corner of Cuba.

The lawyers, however, argue that such measure is unnecessary and overly intrusive, since they all have security clearances and are aware of not releasing classified information.

The International Red Cross inspectors and the released detainees alike have described various acts of torture, including extensive use of waterboarding, sleep deprivation, beatings and confinement in small, cold cells.

According to Amnesty International, of the 173 men currently detained at Guantanamo Bay only three had been convicted under a military commission system, "which failed to meet international fair trial standards."

It's not right to hold people indefinetly without trial (you know, like the NDAA gives them the ability to do). If these people are terrorists, then put them on trial and prove it. There must be evidence of their guilt if they were put there in the first place....

Wait, most aren't guilty...

These people were rounded up for allegedly being "terrorists," but if you don't believe the official 911 story, then you see who the true terrorists are...

So much for Obama closing Guantanamo and giving the prisoners trials...

(Source)
edit on 28-12-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Wasn't his slogan Change? should have been The Same!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
What? less rights?

How's that possible when they don't have any in the first place?

how can you take more rights away from people who are declared to have no rights... at least no US rights?

Bizarre...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Ah, what a shining beacon of freedom in this democratic land we called America.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Why was it that President Clinton was almost impeached, lying? Obama has repeatedly lied about several issues, and there has not even been a peep about impeachment... Not to mention the various human rights violations and treasonous bills that he has shown his support for...
I wonder how his supporters can give their backing to such a lying, conniving, weasel of a politician.
edit on 28-12-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: grammatical error

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Hmmm.... What rights could they possibly still have?
Maybe the right to breathe?

Eh! We can take care of that cheap and easy!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
What? less rights?

That's what I thought.

I've read David Hicks' book "Guantanano - My Journey" and "Enemy Combatant" by Moazzam Begg. Both men having spent time in Guantanamo.

If what they say is true, it is not possible for inmates there to have less "rights".

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by ugie1028
What? less rights?

That's what I thought.

I've read David Hicks' book "Guantanano - My Journey" and "Enemy Combatant" by Moazzam Begg. Both men having spent time in Guantanamo.

If what they say is true, it is not possible for inmates there to have less "rights".

I didn't realize Hicks wrote a book. Can you provide further details?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
we might as well just keep these people at the SPCA in dog kennels.

it's the same effect to me...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
i don't doubt this, but would still like to see a better source
than press tv with no links in the article.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

They'd probably get better food.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
I didn't realize Hicks wrote a book. Can you provide further details?

He grew up in the same area I did, and although I never talked to him, I used to see him hanging around a bit.

Here are some details about his book:

www.perthnow.com.au...

new topics

top topics

join