It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State prison officer accused of attacking wife

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Pretty short article, so here it is in its entirety:
www.orlandosentinel.com...

A state corrections officer was arrested this week after witnesses reported seeing him beat his wife on the side of a road in Polk County, authorities announced today.

Johnny Tucker, who works at the Polk Correctional Institute in Polk City, was charged with battery domestic violence Monday. He posted bond and was released from jail the next day Tuesday.

A witness told authorities a man was beating a woman alongside a parked Jeep Cherokee on North Combee Road, according to the Sheriff's Office.

A Florida Department of Corrections spokeswoman said Tucker followed protocol by informing his superiors of his arrest on Wednesday. He will continue to work pending the outcome of the case.

However, DOC spokeswoman Ann Howard said that Tucker will not be allowed to carry a weapon in the meantime, and will likely be fired if he is convicted on the domestic violence charge.

First, I'd like to say that I have a big problem with this "officer" being allowed to remain on the job pending the result of his case.
Second, the "officer" was quite comfortable beating his wife in a place where others could see. He must be used to doing this. Beating inmates in front of others maybe?
Third, it states that he won't be allowed to carry a weapon. I'm assuming this means his firearm, but what about tasers and billy clubs? He wasn't trying to shoot his wife, but he was inflicting pain.
Fourth, the DOC spokeswoman said he followed protocol. Does this mean he is able to make all proper and responsible decisions regarding his work choices and behavior?

Anyone else besides me believe he should be suspended without pay?
In my opinion, IF he is found not guilty, he could simply be reinstated with back pay.

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
Pretty short article, so here it is in its entirety:
www.orlandosentinel.com...

First, I'd like to say that I have a big problem with this "officer" being allowed to remain on the job pending the result of his case.
Second, the "officer" was quite comfortable beating his wife in a place where others could see. He must be used to doing this. Beating inmates in front of others maybe?
Third, it states that he won't be allowed to carry a weapon. I'm assuming this means his firearm, but what about tasers and billy clubs? He wasn't trying to shoot his wife, but he was inflicting pain.
Fourth, the DOC spokeswoman said he followed protocol. Does this mean he is able to make all proper and responsible decisions regarding his work choices and behavior?

Anyone else besides me believe he should be suspended without pay?
In my opinion, IF he is found not guilty, he could simply be reinstated with back pay.

Thoughts?

I agree with your concerns, but most likely he will continue only in a non-contact capacity. He cannot be placed in a position where he is a danger to inmates. All prisons have requirements for employees to report arrests or court actions within a specified time frame, usually within 24 hours. As for suspension, he should be made to exhaust all of his personal accrued time and not be allowed to return to work until a final disposition of the case.

This is exactly the type person that should not be in a position such as Corrections or Law Enforcement. Makes me sick.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by retiredTxn

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.
This case is very concerning to me. Especially because prisons are moving more towards being privatized.
I wonder if he were a juvenile facility officer if he would've received the same lenient treatment or forced out until his case concluded. One can only guess.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
First, I would note it's almost certainly Union rules that absolutely require he be put in that position for such and such a class of crime on a list about such things they keep. In a sane world, he'd be suspended without pay pending at LEAST the initial findings.

Second..I laugh as I consider the poetic justice it would be to hear he's convicted and ends up in the same facility he was a guard in. Oh, sometimes there really is humor in the news. If he's guilty, perhaps he needs to experience that submissive feeling for a few years.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

In a sane world, he'd be suspended without pay pending at LEAST the initial findings.

Second..I laugh as I consider the poetic justice it would be to hear he's convicted and ends up in the same facility he was a guard in.

Most definitely!

And I had to give a
to the conclusion of your comment.

Getting a beat down in front of others is especially humiliating and he may just get to see the other side of the coin.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

TDCJ Personnel Directive 27

This is a link to Texas' prison systems Personnel Directive that covers a situation such as this. Lot of mumbo jumbo, basically says domestic violence and protective orders are taken seriously. The part of the deal that sucks, in the event he gets convicted, probably just get probation. On the event he should get prison time, he would be placed in protective custody, or sent to another state to do his time. There is rarely true justice for scumbags like him.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by retiredTxn

Thank you so much for searching that out and posting it. I really appreciate the effort!

It's so sad that these types are protected and never lowered to the level they truly deserve to be at. No wonder they have the egos they do. They actually are above the law and the wrist is not the most sensitive body part. I guess we'll have to hope karma gives swift justice in the event he is found guilty and gets that slap on the wrist.

new topics

top topics

join