It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world is a big place, and frankly, some ATS members need to remember where they came from.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

I was referencing the original first few seconds of the video that called out a poster for posting a thread "has anyone heard of anonymous" and telling him to use the search function

The video now seems to have had that bit edited out.

Just to prove im not crazy though other people referenced it here

Way to make me look crazy ats
as if i needed help

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
New members should not have to sit quietly in the sidelines, without a voice, just because they are new. I have learned almost nothing from ATS. I had a CT mentor and have been steeped in CT for going on 4 1/2 decades now. Just because somebody is new, doesn't mean they are automatically ignorant.

New members should not have to "eat humble pie" if they are wrong. I've seen many cases where the OP was both correct and informed yet maligned as ignorant or WRONG, when in fact, the accuser was the uninformed person. If the OP is wrong, that's OKAY! It's okay to be wrong because that is how SOME people learn.

The following phrases usually tip me off that the responder might be a troll, megalomaniac, uninformed themselves, or more often a non-constructive, trouble-maker who probably has self-esteem issues to work on.

nothing to see here, move along
pics or it didn't happen
newb, noob
use the search function
already discussed/debunked
deny ignorance
the usual IQ attack and labeling list of idiot, stupid, moron etc.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Im a bit confused about this threads position (which I agree with) compared to the first few seconds of this [RECAP 5] video

That's my fault, blame me.

Our RECAP team did two versions of the most recent episode... one with the "search button" pre-intro, and one without. They were unsure as to how it would be received, and left it up to me as to which one to post.

My apologies, but I saw harmless humor in what many others apparently did not.

I've since replaced the recent RECAP video with the version that does not contain the "search button" pre-intro.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
There has to be a point when you are on any forum......that you realize, you can't let anyone, change you from the good person you are.

Make your point, say what you want. You don't have to react to every reply. They see your point, they don't see your point...I had something to say...their agreement isn't needed.

If I shared something I found, and I get a fast reply it's BS and no other details,I know they didn't even take the time to look at what I gave them. There's nothing to reply to...he knows and you know.

I still share the next one I find, and I respond to the ones that at least, say they looked at what I gave them.

We have something to discuss, about what I posted or we don't.

My way of looking at all of it.
John

edit on 29-12-2011 by Moonatic because: Can't spell

edit on 29-12-2011 by Moonatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

....harmless humor ....

Got it.

Might replace "Deny Ignorance" as an ATS 'motto'.

Brilliant!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonatic

Also....spot on:

There has to be a point when you are on any forum......that you realize, you can't let anyone, change you from the good person you are.

Well said!!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Way to make me look crazy ats as if i needed help

Too late!!

Hey, I'm in the ward too.....care to share a towel??

Ugh....gross, I know....

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Yes I believe the video did involve my thread. It doesn't need to be pointed out. Like I said I don't need several people telling me. I'm not sure my place is on this site if I'm just going to get non- stop BS from people for posting a thread. Even from the re-cap team? One of the moderators already said not to point stuff like that out and then the recap team does it? I thought I was going to have fun learning on this website of alternative topics but I don't think I know enough to be a member as many of you have pointed out. All I've had in the past few days is humiliation and being mocked.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by curiousrb

I wouldn't let it get to you man... you wont get far in life if you let every comment on the internet get to you.
Seriously, just look around the site, get a feel for it and see what interests you here.
There are a lot of asses on ATS and a lot on the internet in general.

ATS has unfortunately become much more unfriendly over the last few years and there are many trolls and idiots that have stayed after the elections a couple of years ago... a whole new group join every time a new event takes place and basically make it their mission to just bug, annoy and upset people on this site.

I have to agree and say that the staff actually joining in the ridicule may seem like it's really mean and nasty but ATS has always had a great sense of humour (or at least used to) and really you should be able to handle yourself and defend your views, questions and position.

Often what seems like nasty ridicule is merely fun-poking and sarcasm.

Just don't worry about those who are laughing and poking fun (to be honest they're probably not even doing that) it's a little slow on ATS right now and all there is here are Ron Paul threads.... this phase will pass and normal(ish) service will resume.

Take it easy

edit on 30/12/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Curiousrb,

You have to give yourself time. 10 days is very little. There are a lot of members that haven't participated in your thread. For many different reasons. But you should consider that as well. Just see it as an experience.

When I shared my first story after joining, a member called me a crackpot. But then again, maybe he was right...

Don't judge all of ATS off one thread. Give yourself time.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

The main fact is the recap team even joined in after a moderator already said not to do things like that? When I saw the motto ''deny ignorance' I thought there would be a bit more maturity and helpfulness compared to other sites. It's the fact that all I got was mocking and then it was just made worse by the recap team. People even brought my nationality in to it saying that's why I'm so dumb or uninformed or what ever. Everyone just made me sound stupid and because I didn't know anything about ''Anonymous'' I didn't know anything at all.
edit on 30-12-2011 by curiousrb because: grammar

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

curiousrb,

I had heard of Anom, but didn't know anything about them. I read your thread today and will say I learned alot. At least now I know somewhat of exactly who they are and what they stand for. I'm fairly new here too and just want to apoligize for all that ridicule you got. Don't give up on ATS. There are thousands of nice, respectful people here.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

To be fair people are always nudged towards the search function, sometimes more brusquely than others. The recap guys and girls no doubt included it as a lark without wishing to offend anyone.
Don't fret. You are here now, enjoy yourself...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

The digital ego is responsible, along with the intoxicating liberation of anonymity, people can say, do, and be things here that they would never say, try to be, or do in their real lives... Often they feel powerful and above everyone when they can successfully attack and crush others online... Just because they can.

This isn't just an ATS problem, it is a growing trend online everywhere.

Some called this an opportunity for the human race to advance, though it seems the opposite is slowly becoming reality.

Good thread nef

Will they listen?

edit on 28-12-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

While under my observation I don't fully agree that less anonymity can always cure the trolling or ill behavior( have seen people with names/pics listed on a profile that cause trouble too). With that I disagree with a lot of message boards now wishing to go Facebook only for posting to hope for cure of the said problem.

I agree and the more alarming fact is I see a lot of replies close to" Well, it's the Internet what do you expect? Accept it or leave." It's becoming fully accepted all over the net to act in such a manner and to take that abuse. I believe it is what is hurting ATS.
I have been on the net a long time and can say, "Yes, it is getting worse"-but of course always had it's issues of trolls, to jerks and insensitive people, but now more so then ever-, that is as more and more people connect through the net, the farther in distance we grow towards each other as we are pitted against each other.
edit on 31-12-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join