It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Japan's tsunami debris likely washing ashore early" - Tofino B.C Mayor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
already posted, but someone from the Island or BC might not have read it, so here it is again.

Debris from the Japanese tsunami appear to have washed ashore already, Tofino Mayor Perry Schmunk said Monday.

A torrent of garbage marked with Japanese writing - including water bottles, a baby's sock, a toothbrush and lumber - has begun littering area beaches, he said.

"At Schooner Cove, I probably saw more debris in 10 minutes than I have in four years of walking the beach," he told The Province. "That's not normal."

"I don't want to create the impression that there's a huge volume, but when normally there's nothing to see, anything is significant."

University of Hawaii scientists said in October that 20 million tonnes of debris could make landfall in B.C. beginning in 2014, including every-thing from body parts to TV sets and boats.

To me, this is just absolutely horrfying that it's hitting this close to home. I've been camping there. I know it well.
when I read this, I can see it for what it's worth. It will cover the beautiful beachs with the dead and more then a centurys worth of Japanese possessions.

The fact they are finding anything at this time, tells me that when the bulk of the waste makes it over here, the beach might never look the same

link www.theprovince.com...
edit on 28-12-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-12-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Body parts three years later ? Not likely. This other stuff, oh yeah.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

"Early" is probably wind-driven rather than current-driven debris.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This is going to upset surfers big time!
Maybe Parks Canada should send the cleanup bill to GE.
Wait till the sea otters run into this.

We need a plastic evaporator ray gun, and help from Disney's Buzz light year.
Peace.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Thank you for the info. Iive near Washington coast, so this might impact us at some point.

It's so very sad....

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
It can be cleaned up. It's a tragic reminder of what happened over there, but to these areas it's just a temporary inconvenience.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I have a soft spot in my heart for Tofino and the surrounding areas; having spend most my childhood years growing up in Port Alberni, I grew up walking the trails, beaches and mountains that make-up the Pacific Rim.

While I'm a City dweller now, the majority of my family remains on the Island, my sister currently living along Chesterman Beach in Tofino. December 1st, she shared these photos after having hiked down to the edge of Beachcombers Beach. All public entrances had been closed, I'm unsure if it was due to the debris or caused because of an impending or ending storm.

For an area that is typically pristine in nature....

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I heard somewhere that many Japanese do not trust banks and their safes are floating with the debris.

I plan on making a trip over there if people start uncovering these things. Could be quite the gold rush.

new topics

top topics

join