It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seismologists expect a shift in the earth´s crust in Siberia (Russia)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I am surprised to find this information published today in relation with the quake that struck Central Siberia.

A state of emergency has been declared in Tuva, Central Siberia, close to the border with Mongolia. An earthquake of magnitude 6.7 on the Richter scale hit the area in the early hours of Wednesday. The Russian Emergency Situations Ministry has dispatched extra units to the region to deal with the aftermath of the quake, as well as the aftershocks which have occurred...

Oleg Starovoit, deputy Director for scientific work at the Russian Academy of Sciences’ Geophysics Service says that nobody expected an earthquake of such a magnitude. “Earthquakes of such force are rare in Tuva, and therefore, it cannot be called a typical phenomenon...

The people of Tuna remain calm, and many people are already reportig the quake in their blogs and on their sites. Their comments show no evidence of panic. Seismologists have analyzed the seismic state of Tuva for the past 20 years, and they have concluded that a shift in the earth’ crust in the region is possible within a month, but no serious damage will occur.

Source: RSOE click here to read the whole article

Can someone explain what they mean by a shift in the earth´s crust?
Can you find other sources to confirm this?

Thank you for your comments.
Regards,
Ptolomeo.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Ptolomeo

They are expecting the earth's crust to (shift) settle back into place with smaller earthquakes before its all over. Nothing great will happen.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Do you mean that it shifted with the 6.7 quake and therefore it has to shift back? I never heard about this before. Is this common to happen with quakes?

Have you been able to find another source talking about this?
Thank you.

Regards,
Ptolomeo

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
go to google earth and put this coordinates :

50°59'28.16"N 97°24'39.42"E

its near the epicenter yesterday ... what we see please ?
lava flow ?
are siberian traps open ?
we not see this on the pictures in 2007..

please scientific explenation...and this is all around the epicenter...
edit on 28-12-2011 by maritimo69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by maritimo69

I do not have google Earth but used google maps instead. When you zoom in it seems to be a mountain peak... Or a volcano

Do you know if there is a volcano in the area, close to the epicentre of the quake?
Will have to investigate this.
Thank you.

Regards,
Ptolomeo.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Supervolcano...
extinct 90% of life 250 millions years ago...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by maritimo69

Did find the same information at the same time but had no time to post it (you had done already)

Really interesting

Though the quake took place at the following location: 51.845°N, 95.913°E
I wonder if this can mean volcanic activity under the earth?

Have a look to the image of the area where the Siberian traps are located

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Ptolomeo

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

When the M6.6 struck, it ruptured the crust in that area. After a rupture in the crust occurs, no matter what magnitude, then the crust settles down into a new position, which could be a stressed position or a position that is not stressed. If its not stressed, no more earthquakes. If it is still stressed, then possibly more earthquakes to relieve the stress.

Per my knowledge as an expert on earthquakes. See my videos in blue at the bottom.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Thank you, will have a look.

By further quakes to relieve the stress, do you mean the aftershocks that are taking place?

Regards,
Ptolomeo

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Sounds like a translation error to me. Not that it was a small quake. I'll leave it to our residential quake people to decipher. The basics I do know, Yeah, the Earth crust does displace. It has to,too create the event.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
A shift in the earth's crust sounds pretty major to me. I would rather not be part of even the smallest earthquake.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
"the people of Tuna remain calm" ?? Sorry that typo in the quote distracted me. Anyway, I'm glad that they seem to be doing okay there. I can't help now noticing all the news about sizable quakes occurring where people are not used to having them ever since we got ours along the US east coast. I wonder if it is safe to think all of these smaller unexpected quakes are a continued reaction to the very large earth ringing ones of Chile and Japan and possibly Haiti.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
so any ideas for what we see here and around the epicenter : 50°59'28.16"N 97°24'39.42"E

Siberian traps open yes, no?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
52°38'53.75"N 97°50'44.36"E

its very explicit here...

Its lava flow? please?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

You wouldn't happen to be the same Russian quake gurus that gave the warning in May of 2011, of the rupture of the New Madrid fault, would you...........................?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Apparently it was upgraded to a 9.5, which would better explain the crust going all shifty.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
Apparently it was upgraded to a 9.5...

err.., no, if you'd actually read to the end of that thread you'll see its just a different magnitude scale used by Siberian seismologists.
It has not been upgraded.

Furthermore, as far as "shifting the earths crust", every large earthquake does that to some degree or another.
Its a matter of how much.
Obviously too small to measure, but doesnt stop doomsdayers going about telling people "the earth has shifted off its axis" like they did after the big Japanese quake earlier this year.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
the term used 'shifting' of Earth's crust is a little misleading..

because the 'shifting' they mean is more a Earth 'movement'

you can see on the small graphic that Tuva and the whole of Siberia lies in the inner part of the very large Eurasian tectonic plate... and is not on the edge like the faults in
Indonesia and Japan were..where major quakes happened in 2011

plates: geology.about.com...

now the Himalayas might be close enough to the Tuva area to be a factor

Seismologists have analyzed the seismic state of Tuva for the past 20 years, and they have concluded that a shift in the earth’ crust in the region is possible within a month, but no serious damage will occur.

...“Earthquakes of such force are rare in Tuva, and therefore, it cannot be called a typical phenomenon. Quakes of smaller forces do occur in the region”, Oleg Starovoit said,

source:
english.ruvr.ru...

this event, between 6.5 & 10 km deep is not associated with the plate tectonics as one plate slips below or above another plate boundary...

but it may well be a result of there being a disruption of the Earth's crust... deep where the upper mantle plumes are causing a very large (in area) bulge in the Earths crust... lets say the topography is rising in a 50 mile diameter bulge or mound,,,

the crust would therefore need to adjust for this stress.. causing unpresidented earthquakes as large as the recent one
but of course the seismologists are not telling the populace such notions or theories.

nod to 'Ptolomeo' for the link

www.mantleplumes.org...
this has the possibility that there might be a reawakened 'mantle plume'...but they are not saying so right now
that outrageous assumption is from us uncertified people, like us in this thread, that are presenting info and going forward with prediction...that the core & the mantle dynamics are suddenly going wacko

edit on 29-12-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by maritimo69

en.wikipedia.org...

Supervolcano...
extinct 90% of life 250 millions years ago...

a lot of so called extinct volcanos are become active in 2011... an trent???

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
same in venezuela like siberia...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join