It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whoa! Be careful posting photos on the Internet!! (video)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Your three year old knows to right click on a photo, go to properties, find the latitude and longitude and look it up on google maps? .. that is impressive =) my 3 year old nephew basically knows how to pick his nose and break things when he doesn't get his way ( yep he's spoiled, I didn't do it )

It's much easier to get that information than the reporter mentioned though.. the whole thing has been sensationalized

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by stonebutterfly
Im not that important. I dont think anyones looking for me, and if the government wants me, theyll have no trouble looking me up.

Sorry you feel that way. But you're important to ATS!

(And yeah.....tell me about it. The Man knows about me too and that's because I proudly don a Ron Paul bump sticker.....so I know I've been followed)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Honestly, (IMHO) unless you live under a rock,

there is no such thing as hiding anymore.

In other words, if you use any tech, cell phones, computers, any kind of card or ID,

you'll get caught eventually..

On the homefront, chocolate rations will now weigh 25 oz,(from the previous 20 oz), doubleplusgood!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I'm all over the place so I'm sure I'm well known about.. I've been in commercials, a FOX tv special, a Nat Geo documentary and I post here.. I'm sure if they wanted me they'd be knocking =)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Your three year old knows to right click on a photo, go to properties, find the latitude and longitude and look it up on google maps? .. that is impressive =) my 3 year old nephew basically knows how to pick his nose and break things when he doesn't get his way ( yep he's spoiled, I didn't do it )

It's much easier to get that information than the reporter mentioned though.. the whole thing has been sensationalized

Of course he knows. He had to learned something in between his Latin and Chinese language lessons

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rbnhd76

Pretty true ... any tech that connects to the internet anyway, especially mobile tech.. you have to connect to some kind of local device.. wifi spots are tracked to help GPS in cell phones, so connecting to your local starbucks wifi won't help you .. just getting an IP address assigned to you is enough in most cases unless you're bouncing off proxies or swimming through a darknet .. Anyone who wants to be private should basically stay off the net.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Seriously though .. that's impressive if true.. I saw a funny video the other day ( off topic, please forgive me ) .. it was both sad and cute.. a little girl was playing with an ipad and was able to zoom in with the finger gestures .. then they gave her a magazine .. she was trying to use finger gestures on the pictures on paper!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbnhd76

Honestly, (IMHO) unless you live under a rock,

there is no such thing as hiding anymore.

In other words, if you use any tech, cell phones, computers, any kind of card or ID,

you'll get caught eventually..

On the homefront, chocolate rations will now weigh 25 oz,(from the previous 20 oz), doubleplusgood!

Oh no doubt the average person knows we're extremely vulnerable now a days. But I don't think the average schmuck (including me) knew that their online photo can offer up their address.

And with our economy crapping, more people are selling off their belongings and down-sizing. And more people are resorting to crime because they can't find a job. So it's not a good combination over all to begin with. And now we have the added 'instant address' dilemma to worry about.

So this could be very lethal. I'm just sayin'................be careful.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Fortunately one of the largest social networks on the planet removes this data from photos uploaded, and many of them do .. but not all of them do .. I believe most of the big players do however, or at least provide an option ( flickr lets you specify if you want this data removed .. facebook simply removes it, or used to .. not checked recently )

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I'm all over the place so I'm sure I'm well known about.. I've been in commercials, a FOX tv special, a Nat Geo documentary and I post here.. I'm sure if they wanted me they'd be knocking =)

Man, I was liking you up until the "FOX TV special" thing.

But getting back on topic. If someone really wanted to find us, they can. That's not an epiphany for we already knew that. But I don't think the average single female who has a photo on a dating site ets say, knew that her picture can be traced to her home address.
It's a little different from the PBT knowing where to find us and the average pervert knowing a woman's address. So let's keep this in check. (not you. everyone)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Anyone who wants to be private should basically stay off the net.

That about sums it up. But now it's virtually impossible not to use it seeing everything we need/use is ON the damn net (banking etc)
So that's like saying, if you don't want to get burned, don't use your stove. It's become such a useful staple in our lives now. Unfortunately.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

It's the price you pay in trade to live in the society you do .. but it's not really forced .. ( mostly is ) .. there are ways to live off the grid, quite a few people do it .. and do it comfortably! .. I for one don't mind giving up a little bit of my privacy for what I have .. but I would rather it be kept at bay as much as possible.

And when I said live off the grid, I meant entirely .. you can eliminate your need for currency, there are groups that have done so .. building villages out of recycled material, generating power from solar, growing their own foods locally and having very little need for anything else .. you can have a bank account with the internet.. so it's possible, but not what the average person would be used to .. though if you think about it.. even these little self sustained encampments are leaps beyond our pioneering forefathers, they aren't exactly roughing it .. they have running water, sanitation systems, electricity ..

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

From what I understand, turning off the device is not enough. The battery must be disengaged.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imagewerx
GPS is only ever switched on on my Android phone when I need to use sat nav,and all the Google location services are also switched off.I've got nothing to hide,but when I do Google searches I don't want to see the local results first,so would like to see the same results I'd see when doing the same search from my home PC.

I do the exact same with my HTC Sensation..

Always have all that junk switched off unless I'm using Navigation!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dissident1987
reply to post by MoosKept240

From what I understand, turning off the device is not enough. The battery must be disengaged.

So which is it? Hmmmmm.
I would think if you can simply turn it off, that would've been mentioned in that news segment, no?
But then again, that wouldn't be as news-worthy.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

You made a very misleading statement which I've included below. Would you like to explain how a "regular camera" can magically obtain its GPS location when it has no wireless capabilties?

Clarity is required because many people reading this thread are not well informed about such things.

"Geotagging has been around for a while, cell phones have been doing it for quite a while ( not all ) .. and even a lot of regular cameras do it "

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
My brother just realized this the other day on his Iphone. You can turn it off apparently. I believe he did.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bigjohns82
Wow, thats amazing. It suprises me all the ways that information can be gathered about you that you don't want others to know.

Even more amazing is how very, very few organizations actually have any legitimate infrastrucrure to do anything constructive with this mountain of data. More amazing further is those that do, don't care about you, me or anyone else unless it can make them money somehow by sticking above the "curve" algorithm of normalcy.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

This is nothing new.
And if you don't want to have your pics tagged you can always turn off that feature.

How to disable iPhone Photo GPS geotag data
•Tap on Settings
•Tap on General
•Tap on “Location Services”
•Select the On/Off switch next to “Camera” so that the switch is set to OFF
•Exit settings

should make more phone guides so this info wont be for nothing.

a star for you.
edit on 28-12-2011 by notonsamepage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Is that so? Why wouldn't the reporter(s) mention that? Is it really that simple?

Sensationalism makes articles popular... that's why .. it happens every single day .. Plus, some reporters are stupid when it comes to technology and merely want viewership.. they will latch on to the exceptional part and not bother to dig into the rest.

Yes it really is that simple, and yes this is absolutely not new... iphone has had it for a couple of years now, others for longer..
Miniatus, you and I are thinking the same thing, (whether that's a good thing or not is up for speculation
)
I agree with you. the news is just there for entertainment. Plus, I was thinking....If a news channel were to give instructions on how to disable these apps/features on you iphone it may open them up to complaint or a lawsuit if someone had something bad happen to them after being given this advice. No matter how good intentioned on the part of the news person or how obsure and far-fetched the complaint would really be.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join