It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Cthulhu relocate to Europa back in 1997?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Are any of you familiar with the singularity known as "The Bloop"? It was a very unusual and loud sound wave detected back in 1997 by U.S. Navy "spy" sensors under the Pacific Ocean. Researchers speculate it originating from a very, very large creature deep under the sea's abyss. Here is one of the first articles about it from a reputable source:

archives.cnn.com...

What makes all of this so strange is that the Bloop's coordinates are almost right on target with the location of the resting place of HP Lovecraft's alien monster Cthulhu. They say he based his stories on some truth. What if that Bloop was Cthulhu itself? Did it travel into outer space and off planet Earth which is why we haven't picked up a sound byte like that ever again? More specifically, I'm thinking about Jupiter's moon Europa. Given it's watery core it's the perfect candidate for the space faring monster. The question is, when will he return?

edit on 28-12-2011 by genma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by genma

from what i remember, cthulhu was made of light so i guess it could move there and no one would notice, but why would it have to hide. it could kill anyone who comes near it

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Wow I read your link, thanks but I want to hear the bloop I can't find it.
It may awaken the old gods in me so I can go and wake Cthulhu.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by connorromanow

Nope he's made of flesh and tangible material. There's a whole mythology behind him and his kind in the Cthulhu Mythos. He's not hiding deep under the sea but rather sleeping, awaiting some kind of celestial alignment for his awakening.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I've heard it, sort of creepy actually. This was recorded in 1997.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by genma

i remeber that from the book, but i also remember the story saying something about it being a crerature made of light but in a solid form, which is why it can never die just sleep

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
So is Cthulhu a real creature then? I have been trying to find this out for a little while now. I came to the conclusion that it was kind of like a bigfoot thing. Where you have never really seen him but you basically believe it exists anyway. Heck, just because you haven't found it does NOT mean it doesn't exist. I believe in aliens and Bigfoot so this wouldn't be out of the question...but all my search results yielded video game and pop culture references from the 80's and 50's or 60's (I think), respectively. So I was never sure what to think.

That bloop is interesting. I love hearing odd and unexplained noises, even though it creeps the heck out of me.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Thanks for finding it cheers,
I listened to it all and I thought I have heard that before...then my belly grumbled

Cthulhu is coming and he is Hungry...better look busy

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

“Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.”
― H.P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

He's still there. The big fella just burped in his sleep. He'll probably wake up hungry and grumpy..

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Good job I've just eaten then, I wouldn't want to be an unsatisfactory meal for the ol' bean. Human with Chinese takeout flavoured squishy center. His favourite, IIRC.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Lovecraft was tied heavily into the intellectual elite of his time.. as was HG Wells. and other establishment psycho-sociological writers.

I used to have to carry a pocket dictionary with me when I read his books.. so verbose.

The Cthulu mythos carries alot over from Greco-Roman, Egyptian and Atlantean mythologies... as well as Native American Spiritual legends...
Who's to say that the symbolic attributes of these legendary creatures couldn't be reproduced through genetic engineering in some secret lab\base ie: Dulce NM or such...

Then released upon the public when the playbook (bible) says to do so in the 'end times'....

I mean this Cthulhu fellow has all the offerings of a very efficient city-eating titan!... humongousness... bat wings.. oh yeah and tentacles to pull flailing people into his jaws with.

but then you'd have to unlock the genetic god-genes in humans to make them superheroes to destroy the evil onslaught of GMO demons and chimaeras!

food for thoughts!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by genma

We do not want the likes of Cthulhu in the waters of Europe. There are enough mouths to feed here already atm. To any peeps that have not read any Lovecraft.. Its well worth a read..!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Um, wow...I don't even know where to begin.

First of all, HPL never wrote any "books" he wrote only short stories and poems that were included in various small publications like "Weird Tales" in the 1920's - 1930's. Also, he was the originator of the mythos, as well as tons of fictional "grimmoires" that were included in them (like the Necronomicon, which some dolts still think is a real book,) though there were *many* other authors who wrote within the same milieu.

Cthulhu absolutely was NOT inspired by any real entity and was only *loosely* based on the archetypes of the Kraken and Leviathan. Whoever said he was "made out of light" is absolutely clueless or got that idea from a complete liar.

I have been published among the modern Lovecraft circle, so I damn well know what I am talking about. This isn't to mention I have spoken at length with modern mythos writers who know Lovecraft's work and life like the back of their hands.

Ugh, please do not include an endearing icon such as Cthulhu into the lunatic fringe. It's embarrassing.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The lunatic fringe is one of the reason HPL's work is so widely known. All of the Cthulu "followers" antics have led to new readership. I got into Lovecraftian lit 25 years ago because I read a story in a magazine about some church who worshiped the Old Ones. It intrigued me enough to search out some of his stories. I found The Thing on the Doorstep and have been hooked ever since. So don't thrash the fringe. They serve a great purpose. And who knows, maybe there IS a kernel of truth the the myth

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Lovecraft knew many things.

"At the Mountains of Madness" is my favorite.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I´ve got to mention this, some time ago when i listened to the "bloop" sound on my computer (which is hooked into a quite large stereo set instead of just speakers), my cat had immediately a quite peculiar reaction; it suddenly became very alerted, looking around the apartment in what i can only describe "panicky" manner. It has never behaved in such manner before or since.
edit on 13-1-2012 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
It doesn't exist, it's just another figment of imagination which has sensationally stuck around like the concept of god has.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LionOfGOD

Because it was suprised by an outburst of such amlarge and low noise? Nothing peculiar.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Krono

I doubt it, i have seen it sleep through an album of Slayer blasted very loudly like it was nothing.
The point, there is no reaction whatsoever in general, loud noices, low frequencies, but this one got through.
I have known very closely this particular cat for about a decade now,
and this was the first time i have seen ANYTHING like it.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
In a way, it would be cool to think The Bloop was something like Cthulhu or similar beast (and I do believe there are huge creatures similar down there in the depths) but at the same time.....how frightening. Especially being on a boat as it rose from the depths in the vicinity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join