It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boyscout merit badges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Hello all. I have a question for the experts. How long has the Boy scouts of America been handing out merits badges for firearms? The reason I ask is a friend of mine has a son in the scouts. They had him firing all sorts of guns (both handgun and rifle). Well, that got me thinking about an article I read a while ago about the scouts training with Homeland Security and the border patrol. I'm putting the article HERE. So, is this firearms merit badge related or is it something they've been doing for a long time? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Since the beginning. A badge for rifle shooting was one of the original badges available in 1911. extra DIV

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
For what it's worth....I was shooting a .22 rifle on the scout range at La Jolla, California when I was about 10.. That was almost 30 years ago. My dad talked about the scouts teaching them with rifles a bit larger than the .22's we got and that would have been the 1950's..if I'm not mistaken. So..Scouts and Gun safety have gone hand-in-glove as far back as I can recall anyone talking about it.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Hey, thanks for the reply. I wasn't expecting one so soon. That takes a load off my minds. I just thought it was weird, what with the article and all. Thanks again for the info.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's a good thing to learn. Gun safety, that is. I always think that when it comes to gun control, the thing you need is between your ears. Good for kids to learn that. Then maybe there won't be so many stupid accidents.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I'm amazed they still have this badge.

I thought for sure it would have been replaced by a light gun or laser tag gun badge by now.

Good for them.

link   

The scouts were started and until recently I believe were training the next generation of soldier. Just like the Hitler youth. The scouts of today are just a shell of what they once were even in my day---20 years.

The girl scouts are the same thing when the men go off to fight the women need to take care of the home.

You get a flag for I believe hitting the nail on the head if this was your point.
edit on 28-12-2011 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

link   
Eagle Scout here, there is no handgun merit badge in the Boy Scouts, only Rifle Shooting and Shotgun Shooting.

www.scouting.org...

link   

Here's some information you may find interesting:
www.henrymakow.com...

One is the 'Order of the Arrow' secret society that exists within the Boy Scouts. John Salza is a former 32 degree Freemason and the author of the book "Freemasonry Unmasked." He has written an essay about the OA entitled "Freemasonry has Infiltrated the Boy Scouts."

Two 32-degree Freemasons founded the OA in 1915. Its rituals are Masonic. Both have three degrees; both are organized into lodges, both rituals seek esoteric spiritual knowledge and illumination.

Salza writes: "These rituals--which include a blood covenant are being conferred upon innocent boy scouts...and are harming their souls."

Here's a link to the book Masonry Unmasked: An Insider Reveals the Secrets of the Lodge by John Salza:
www.amazon.com...

Edit to Add: I still feel it's discriminatory that Girl Scouts don't have a badge for shooting. I wonder why that is?
edit on 28-12-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Whoops, I'm OA too, and so far I haven't witnessed any blood covenants or anything like that. It was more like an ingenious way for them (The BSA organization) to get cheap labor setting up the scout camps at the beginning of scout camp season.

I'll be sure to have my soul checked for damage though....

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

I'm just passing on some information.
You are free to discount it if you so choose.

Even if there were such things going on that you were privy to, I'm sure you'd be happy to announce that on ATS.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

Edit to Add: I still feel it's discriminatory that Girl Scouts don't have a badge for shooting. I wonder why that is?
edit on 28-12-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

They could shoot with council approval. It isnt expressly prohibited or anything. It just seems that the councils are gun-phobic.

GS parents should be pushing for their daughters to shoot.

Funny that not teaching girls to shoot is either discriminatory or a righteous act depending on your position. The councils likely dont feel they are intentionally discriminating their scouts but rather feel they are "raising them right" by keeping them away from guns.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Considering that the Boy and Girl Scouts were started such a long time ago, it probably wasn't necessary. Seeing as women's lib (not always a positive transition) has made women more independent and a man is not always in the picture, I feel that it is necessary to teach boys and girls the same life skills.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
~snip~
You are free to discount it if you so choose.
~snip~

Why, THANK you!

toil, silence, introspection....that much I can pass along. (honestly because that's about all I remember)

I know, I know, useless and dead skills these days, considering what we think "they" have in store for us.

But I digress... this thread is about shooting merit badges, of which there are rifle and shotgun...not handgun.
edit on 28-12-2011 by tjack because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join