Heads up chicken little's, space storm coming soon

page: 1
8

log in

join

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Earth and Mars are expecting a solar storm.

www.spaceweather.com...

>>Updated at: 2011 Dec 27 2200 UTC
FLARE 0-24 hr 24-48 hr
CLASS M 70 % 70 %
CLASS X 01 % 01 %



With M-class- Radio outages are possible. Not sure about power grid failures.
Keep looking up might be a nice light show too!




posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Was just reading about this...supposed to hit my area in about 33 minutes! Hopefully we will get a light show tonight!

Thanks!



posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Maybe some good aurora photos!



posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
Was just reading about this...supposed to hit my area in about 33 minutes! Hopefully we will get a light show tonight!

Thanks!


How exactly can you tell when it's gonna hit?
I looked at the site and couldn't see that anywhere.

I saw some UT times, which I assume is GMT, but they don't match the -6Hrs for CST.



posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
Was just reading about this...supposed to hit my area in about 33 minutes! Hopefully we will get a light show tonight!

Thanks!


How exactly can you tell when it's gonna hit?
I looked at the site and couldn't see that anywhere.

I saw some UT times, which I assume is GMT, but they don't match the -6Hrs for CST.


Just what it said in the news report I was reading....I am on EST.

Sun Storms
edit on 12/28/11 by Vasa Croe because: spelling



posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 

Thanks!
For a minute there I thought I might have to call the commissioner and have him flash the "Phage" signal.



posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 

The link you posted indicates there could be power outages >>

The two impacts will likely spawn minor and/or moderate geomagnetic storms at high latitudes on Wednesday and Thursday. If they're powerful enough, geomagnetic storms can temporarily disrupt GPS signals, radio communications and power grids.

"Category G1 (Minor) geomagnetic storms are expected 28 and 29 December due to multiple coronal mass ejection arrivals," the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Space Weather Prediction Center wrote in an update Tuesday (Dec. 27). "R1 (Minor) radio blackouts are expected until 31 December."



Read more: www.foxnews.com...



posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 

Thanks!
For a minute there I thought I might have to call the commissioner and have him flash the "Phage" signal.


LOL! Guess I could have just said I "FEEL" it is going to be here then because I am a prophet....its the end of the world.....



posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 

Thanks!
For a minute there I thought I might have to call the commissioner and have him flash the "Phage" signal.


The brown nose society called offering you a position as President of their club.





But really though, Yeah, it is about 10 minutes away from happening apparently. Very cool. Will have to take a look outside tonight as well.



posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackProjects
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 

The link you posted indicates there could be power outages >>

The two impacts will likely spawn minor and/or moderate geomagnetic storms at high latitudes on Wednesday and Thursday. If they're powerful enough, geomagnetic storms can temporarily disrupt GPS signals, radio communications and power grids.

"Category G1 (Minor) geomagnetic storms are expected 28 and 29 December due to multiple coronal mass ejection arrivals," the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Space Weather Prediction Center wrote in an update Tuesday (Dec. 27). "R1 (Minor) radio blackouts are expected until 31 December."



Read more: www.foxnews.com...



Yeah I saw that....not too worried though. Power outages are no big deal. If it were strong enough to knock a grid out in Atlanta for a while then I would be a bit more apprehensive and probably be headed to the grocery store prior to the event. Silly me is just sitting at starbucks waiting til it hits, typing on the net with a warm cup of joe...if the world ends, I am pretty content right now....have a nice comfy seat with a power outlet and listening to some great blues.



posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Wonder what the affect on Mars would be if they have a weaker magnetic field? Or to the Rovers?



posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Nothing here yet, but the article did say "give or take 7 hours" so I may not have anything to report until late! would love to see some lights tonight!



posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects
 

Since Mars has no global magnetic field (only scattered and very weak fields) not much effect at all.
The rover Opportunity would be unaffected.



posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Nothing yet, but hoping I can get some good light show this far south. Not sure about how far it will extend but if anyone knows if its possible to see it in Atlanta, GA let me know and I will be outside looking for a light show!



posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Originally posted by tvtexan
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 

Thanks!
For a minute there I thought I might have to call the commissioner and have him flash the "Phage" signal.


The brown nose society called offering you a position as President of their club.





But really though, Yeah, it is about 10 minutes away from happening apparently. Very cool. Will have to take a look outside tonight as well.


Sarcasm is usually lost on narcissists.



posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
@ the chicken little thread title.


So it's completely overcast where I'm at... surprise surprise... any time there's a great meteor shower or possible aurora display or venus transit or lunar eclipse or Jupiter's closest approach or a romulan ufo zipping by.... the damn sky over my head is completely obliterated by cloud cover.

*sigh*
Such is the story of my life.



posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Nothing yet at least that I have heard about. Partly cloudy where I am and no N lights!





new topics
top topics
 
8

log in

join