It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple question about carrying mace

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I have posted this many times, and I always get beat up for pretending to be some kind of tough guy, but I think the message is important to those that depend on pepper spray as a means of defense. I have tested every version of pepper spray imagineable on myself, and they are not in the least bit disabling. They are uncomfortable, and irritating, but even without the benefit of adrenalin or rage, I am still able to complete any task after being maced. It would barely slow down an attacker, and in most cases, it would probably end up as much on you as on them. Don't trust it.

I have also tested many of the over-the-counter tasers and stun-guns on myself, and again, they are shocking and uncomfortable, but not disabling. If you are close enough to hit me with a stun gun, then I am also close enough to yank it away and finish my attack.

Learn hand to hand combat, or get a concealed weapons permit for a gun, and learn about not portraying the image of a "victim" to lessen your chances of being victimized. Those are the best real-world solutions. Make eye-contact with strangers, know your surroundings, know what businesses are open what hours, and know alternative routes for escape. Learn pressure points and how to use leverage on a stronger attacker.

Don't trust pepperspray or tasers. It is a mistake, guaranteed.

ETA:
I had a girl demonstrate the usage of a little Kubaton (sp?)(the tiny little keychain nightstick) on me, and it was brutal!! I would take a dozen doses of pepperspray compared to a single skilled encounter with that evil little thing.
edit on 28-12-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Hey, the spelling was correct, and here is a neat little video. I can't watch it from here, but it seems like it might be useful.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TopElite

This is a very strict gun control state. The only people who own guns are the thugs.
They have all but made it illegal.
The only way to get a conceal carry permit is to prove that your life is being threatened and even then, I have known people to still get turned down.
edit on 28-12-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

IN areas like these, eye contact can get you shot.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

What state? Kentucky? I know I should remember this, but I forgot.

ETA

IN areas like these, eye contact can get you shot.

Quick eye contact, not aggressive.
But, I get what you are saying, it is a very fine line.
edit on 28-12-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
when i'm in my own city, I live so carelessly that I don't care where I walk or when.
It's out of necessity that I live my life how I please.
I have enough faith in myself to come through the otherside of whatever might head my way. it's worked this far.

I think you just need a little confidence and a good pair of eyes to glare at anyone who steps in your way.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Luckily, I live in (according to the media) hideously dangerous Mexico, so things like this don't even enter my mind, since there is virtually no crime around here. But I'd have to agree with don't depend on Mace, it's not that effective. Knives, guns, you can get cop trouble for carrying them. Go for the kubotan on your keyring. Carrying a walking stick and learning how to fight with it is the best bet. Sticks, swords, cutlasses don't run out of ammo, and can overcome even guns within six feet. You can't get arrested for carrying a cane. Plus most people can't hit the side of a barn with a handgun when it comes right down to it. Thugs holding them sideways are almost funny.

I have a shillelagh, too, it's pretty devastating. I used to have one that was super long like a cane, and the root or hammerhead part was small, but it was still a shillelagh made of ironwood. That was a superior weapon, but I could walk down the street with it anywhere without a second glance.

Escrima is very effective. Skills are more important than the actual weapons. You could use the same techniques with a cane, a pool cue, a bat, a kubotan, or a stick you found on the ground. Even bare hands.

This guy could break your arm with a bic pen:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Mace is good, but a morning star or good articulated flail would have a little more range, lol. maybe a baseball bat with spikes, is that considered a mace?
edit on 28-12-2011 by chopperswolf because: spelling

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Where can you get training for a kubaton?

it looks pretty cool.

But how do you handle a mugging where the perp has a gun?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Hey, maybe in Kentucky too, lol.

In Maryland. This area is heavy gang activity. And they take eye contact as a sign of aggression. Its all about intimidation.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Two best defenses is to not be alone and don't look like a victim.

If there is someone that can walk with you to your car at work and then drive to their car or the other way around.

You don't have to make eye contact and you don't have to look here there and everywhere in a frantic. Just look as though you are aware of your surroundings as well as not lost in thought. Hard to describe it exactly, but I think you get my meaning.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

For Maryland, they do offer a permit, it comes from the Secretary of the State Police.

The permit may be issued if the Secretary finds that the applicant:

Is 18 years of age or older.

Has not been convicted of a felony, or of a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year.

Has not been convicted of a crime involving the possession, use, or distribution of a controlled dangerous substance.

Is not an alcoholic, addict, or habitual user of a controlled substance.

Based on the results of an investigation, has not exhibited a propensity for violence or instability.

Based on the results of an investigation, has demonstrated a "good and substantial reason" to carry a handgun, including a finding that the permit is "necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger."
If an applicant is under the age of 30, the applicant is only qualified if the Secretary of the State Police finds that the applicant has not been:

Committed to a detention, training, or correctional institution for juveniles for longer than one year after an adjudication of delinquency.

Adjudicated a delinquent by a juvenile court for an act that would be a crime of violence, a felony, or punishable by more than 2 years, if committed by an adult.
The Secretary, in his discretion, may add restrictions to the permit including limiting the location, circumstances or time at which the handgun may be carried.

The Secretary may charge a $75.00 nonrefundable fee payable upon submission of the application. The renewal fee is $50.00, and a duplicate or modified permit is $10.00. These fees may be reduced accordingly for a permit that is limited in time and place.

The permit is valid for two years after its issuance and expires on the last day of the holder’s birth month. Subsequent renewals are valid for periods of three years each. A permit holder must carry his permit whenever he carries, wears or transports a handgun. The permit is valid for each handgun legally in the possession of the person to whom the permit is issued.

It is unlawful for a permit holder to carry a handgun while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. A person who is denied a permit, is denied renewal, has his permit revoked, or has a permit limited as to time and place may request the Secretary of the State Police to conduct an informal review. A written request must be filed with the Secretary within 10 days after receiving written notice of the Secretary’s initial action. Alternatively, a person may request that the Handgun Permit Review Board review the decision of the Secretary by filing a written request within 10 days of the Secretary’s initial action.

Licensing Division (Not user-friendly at all)

As for the Kubaton, I would think any of the karate styles that utilize short movements and leverage would teach it. Perhaps Judo, Kenpo, Aikido would be good. Maybe even Krav Maga, or some of the self-defense courses with blended styles. For all around self-defense for a woman, those first 3 are very good. They are really useful for a smaller person to take on a larger person with short damaging strikes, and using a smaller persons leverage to take advantage of a larger persons weight and momentum.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

They certainly don't make it easy do they

I have only known one person who was ever approved.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Thank you everyone for your responses. It turned out to be more interesting information then I expected.

And yes, I keep my hands free now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join