It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple question about carrying mace

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I work in a dangerous city and have to walk about four blocks to get to my car. Coworkers have been mugged before.

Having to travel too and from the office usually means my hands can be full. Since it is winter, I carry it in my coat pocket. But I don't think that is the best place for it either.

Is there anyway to carry mace without having to hold it outright in my hand?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
A Co-worker of mine has hers on her keys. its in a cute little container that attches right to her keys and pulls off if need be,

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I ordered my wife a clip that goes on her belt or can clip on her pocket or pretty much anywhere I will try and see if my wifey remembers its been a while, she doesn't mess with the mase much now I since bought her a lady .38 makes me feel better about any altercation if she is alone lol

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Rule #1 - Keep at least one hand free at all times. Carrying arm loads of stuff is going to slow you down when that critical moment comes. By the time you drop your junk, reach for your spray and get it out, you're going to be on the ground looking up at your attacker. If the area is that dangerous, walk with your hand in your pocket, holding the spray. Readiness may save your life.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I used to teach self defense....

I don't believe in mace or anything held in the hand simply because it can be used against you....but.

If I had to walk alone at night , which I'd avoid firsthand ....I'd Wear it on my person in the form tucked underneath in my armpit area.using a sling ...similar to how a shoulder holster is worn.

This way you could access it quickly without an assailant seeing it first...the element of surprise being crucial in self defense.

Women do have quicker reactions than Men do....it's prudent to utilize these reactions to your advantage.

Peace
edit on 28-12-2011 by nh_ee because: Live Free or Die

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
If I were you, I'd ditch the mace and grab a stun gun. I bought my wife a little one that looks like a cell phone. It was pretty cheap - about $50 or so. Not only does it pack a punch, but the sound of it activating is scary as hell. If a guy on drugs tries to attack you, the mace may not be as good of a deterrent (especially if he is on PCP or something).

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
If your hands are full you may as well not bother with the mace.

Keep your strong hand free at all times. Walking with your hands full is like walking with your arms tied behind your back. Full hands like headphones in ears is a situational awareness problem.

It only takes a second to assault your position and take physical control of your body.

Your spray should be in your hand ready to go or at least grasped inside your pocket if walking through a known hostile area.

Purses, sling bags, messenger bags are all bad news as well.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I am no self defense expert, but it seems like mace can do more harm than good. I know of people who have had this displeasure of their mace or pepper spray "going off" at the wrong time like when they were driving in their car.

In a mugging situation, I can see that muggers would have already gained control of the victim before the victim could access the mace, even if the mace were in an "accessible" place.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Mace is only as good as the person using it. Have you ever got to see a cop mace his self , that is pretty funny. I agree with some members keeping hands free and learning hand to hand or martial arts is way better. Do you see military using mace? They train extensively in hand to hand and also keep getting more advanced training in hand to hand.

Mace can blow back in your face or you can catch some by breathing it in yourself. Then you would be laying on the ground with tears in your eyes and coughing just like your attacker. Do yourself a favor and learn hand to hand or material arts. That's just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TopElite
Mace can blow back in your face or you can catch some by breathing it in yourself. Then you would be laying on the ground with tears in your eyes and coughing just like your attacker.

The Illinois State Police suggest vomiting as an effective anti-rape tool. Maybe intentionally spraying yourself in the face is part of that strategy.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You can buy flashlight holders on ebay that will fit mace canisters they clip on your belt. Also mace is good but a knife is better and a gun is the best.

I would never trust my life to mace. A small folding knife under 3 inches in most places is always a good thing to keep in your purse and that is what my better half does.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TopElite

Martial arts training can only go so far. Is a 110 pound, 50 year old woman, who ***might*** have one or two hours a week to dedicate to martial arts training ever going to hold her own against a man half her age and twice her weight? We should also keep in mind her attacker is often going to have the upper hand in the situation because the atacker may take her by surprise and/or have a weapon.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
1. Buy a backpack so you don't have your hands full.
2. Buy a GOOD stun gun. Something that has the voltage to knock someone on their ass and pops/crackles so loud you can hear it a block away. Clip it to your backpack strap so you can reach up and grab it with the quickness.
3. Mace is a bad idea unless you have training. Macing yourself can make a bad situation worse.

Usually just pulling the stun gun and lighting it up will scare the crap out of a would be robber. If he/she doesn't scare easily, give them the lightning bolt of Thor.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I second the stun gun suggestion. Mace/pepper spray is unreliable especially in windy conditions. I carry a 500,000 volt stun gun as one of my back up weapons. It works well on pitbulls also.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality

Usually just pulling the stun gun and lighting it up will scare the crap out of a would be robber. If he/she doesn't scare easily, give them the lightning bolt of Thor.
IMO, this is a bad idea. Light them up instead. Never pull a weapon just to threaten someone. If you pull it, be prepared to use it.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

Unfortunately it can't be avoided, especially with the ending of daylight savings time.

My office is aware of this and makes all efforts to have people out of the office by five, but events can prevent it.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Thank you everyone for the great advice.

I may go with the stungun.

I originally got the mace because I went to people's houses and their freaking dogs were always charging me.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Yes it maybe true that a old woman may not be able to fight off a guy but that is still not to say it's not possible. If your a old woman just buy a gun lol. Older people can still be just as fit as younger people that's a fact. Some older people actually exercise and eat healthy unlike the obese majority of all our young today who can't even walk a mile without falling over needing a cigarette I was referring to the OP which I'm almost positive is not a old feeble woman.

I did read a article where a old woman put a 22 cal bullet dead center forehead of an attacker in a self defense mag.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Thank you everyone for the great advice.

I may go with the stungun.

I originally got the mace because I went to people's houses and their freaking dogs were always charging me.

Stunguns work just as well on dogs(pitbulls anyway) as they do on people. I know this from personal experience. I had a pit try to attack me before I got my carry permit when I first moved to Florida.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by Digital_Reality

IMO, this is a bad idea. Light them up instead. Never pull a weapon just to threaten someone. If you pull it, be prepared to use it.

I'm with you on that. I'm just stating that cowardly robbers will usually haul butt as soon as they see you pull it. I'm for light em up for good measure also. I'm not advocating for anyone to try to threaten a robber.

My stun gun sounds like reentry of the Back to the Future Delorean.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join