It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Amateur Radio Net Proposed 14.ATS Mhz Sunday 2000GMT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Any radio operators here?

Proposing an unofficial ATS frequency of 14.ATS Mhz or 14.287 Mhz USB in the 20 meter band.

For the uninitiated the 20 meter band is a daytime band, a DX or long distance band. Can work the world depending on conditions. USB means upper side band. If you are interested in listening you would need a radio that has a USB mode. There are a few ordinary short wave listening radios that have that feature.

Will be calling and listening every Sunday, 2000 GMT.

K

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I'll be listening...

Welcome to ATS

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

Can't hurt, and sounds like it might be handy....just in case.

Good thinking.

I'll certainly keep it mind.

Perhaps a signin/signoff transmission of di...di...di...to indicate that the transmitter is familiar with ATS?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I will listen in as well. At present my rig is down for TX on those frequencies, but still have my comm. receiver.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Former Extra-class ham here (back in the '70's/80's when it was HARD to get an extra class
), now I wish I still had these:

Kenwood Twins... they were awesome.

Good luck and keep us posted as to how it turns out.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

Hey, that's a Cool idea. I'm not authorized to transmit there yet, but I'll stop by when I'm upgraded to general in the next few months!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Those are great old radios. My Elmer ran twin Drakes and a quad antenna. Would be great to have a big gun setup like that. I have an old FT-101B that still works for 20M. Yaesu 857D in the mobile. Tiny radio.

It is possible to do great things with 100 watts and an antenna thrown up in a tree. Had a qso with New Zealand from the car on batteries at lunchtime at work one day.

Mostly operating now portable or mobile as I am living in a small rental. Automotive refugee from Detroit, found work in So. Cal. Very happy to be here.

AC8AI

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Would be happy to try you on 10 meters an hour later. What frequency could you use?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I'll be there.

Who is going to be the Net Controll Opp?

Let me know if you need a hand. I'm good on QRZ.

jfy

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kc0jfy

I guess I will be net control to start. I am light on experience but have been a participant. As we go forward maybe we will find someone with a big gun setup and net control experience.

At 14.300 they have a schedule and operate 24/7. That is the marine mobile (sailboat) net. Very impressive, very organized.

There is an existing net at 2130 on 14.287 ... www.ascra.org... No one owns a frequency but we use common courtesy as radio amateurs.

So I am thinking move to 10 meters to a tech frequency at 2100. Suggestions and assistance welcome.

-K

edit on 28-12-2011 by kawika because: fix typo on freq 12.xxx

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Former Extra-class ham here (back in the '70's/80's when it was HARD to get an extra class
), now I wish I still had these:

Kenwood Twins... they were awesome.

Good luck and keep us posted as to how it turns out.

They're sooo PURDY
Would love to see them these days...
they don't make them like they used too.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
It is possible to do great things with 100 watts and an antenna thrown up in a tree.

Especially with CW, which is what I mostly did. When our club did the annual field day event, I ran the 20 meter CW tent with the Twins and an aimable inverted-V antenna. We OWNED our frequency for 24 hours.

I was getting to the point where I "heard" words rather than individual letters as I was pushing 50wpm in CW.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika

Right now I'm stuck on a 2 meter ht. I'm in college so I can't do a whole lot. Come spring I'm going to change that and pick up a Yaesu 857d. Hopefully then I catch up with you!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

The 857D is a great radio. Once you get set up with that we can work on 10 meters. My portable setup is the 100 watt radio and a doublebazooka thrown up in any handy tree. www.radiowavz.com...
A great mode for long distance at low power is PSK-31, check it out.

If you are able to setup on echolink www.echolink.org... I will certainly make time to talk to you, maybe by way of a local repeater that connects to echolink. The repeater on Keller peak has a connection to echolink. On a good day, I could do that.

I think for check in's I will record call sign plus ATS handle and then after the net post a list here but only list the ATS handles, not the call signs.

K

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
10 Meter Frequency to be 28.3TS or 28.387 USB Sunday 2100 GMT

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Did not hear any checkins on 20m today. There was another station on 14.288, very strong, in my ear. Will move to 1900 next Sunday and try again

Will try on 10 meters at 2100GMT (about 30 minutes from now) Freq is 28.387.

May have to change locations of my portable station. Down in a valley here.

K

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Did not hear any checkins on 20m today. There was another station on 14.288, very strong, in my ear. Will move to 1900 next Sunday and try again

Will try on 10 meters at 2100GMT (about 30 minutes from now) Freq is 28.387.

May have to change locations of my portable station. Down in a valley here.

K

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Also nothing heard on 10 meters.

What I will do is add a page about it at my web site. Will get the times and frequencies out there.

Try again next week. Probably a bad day to start, everyone sleeping off the new years eve party.

20 meters, one hour earlier 1900 GMT 14.287Mhz

10 meters, 2000 28.387

Sundays.

K

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
No net today.

Post or U2U if any interest. Remember the frequencies in case SHTF.

K

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
This idea still alive? Did we settle on times/frequencies??

new topics

top topics

join