It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Im mad/jealous that God doesn't talk to me or anyone I know.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I was thinking about something the other day, and how people sometimes describe conversations and relationships with God. This is the Christian God we're talking about now. Well I am getting to the point of being pissed off that he/she/it keeps ignoring me, and not answering my calls for conversation. For that matter, he has never talked to anyone I know either and they are almost 100% coming from Christian back grounds. Especially my grandparents, they are straight up holy rollers. This is meant to be light hearted and humorous but honest too, because I have called out many times for the affirmation I so desire but am constantly ignored.

What my question really is though, has anyone ever heard of God talking to someone that wasn't already a Christian? I mean you hear of someone that is already a believer, or at least knows of Christianity hearing Gods voice and conversing with that voice. But I believe they are already biased towards assuming that voice is coming from a certain individual or entity.

So for instance has a buddhist in China ever been walking the rice paddy when all of a sudden Gods voice came booming down from heaven convincing said person to then investigate a religion they had never heard of before? Someone growing up in the Jungle of Cambodia living a tribal life that has never seen another person outside their tribe, or heard the ideas presented by outsiders; Could they too spontaneously hear the voice of God and then become a believer?

I want to believe in God and Heaven more than anything in life, I desperately want to know that there is a reason for living and doing the things we do. I feel like I need it like my body needs water. Only every part of my senses and intelligence is telling me not to, because there is 0 proof that I can personally validate.

Then this leads me to wonder, if the case is that God only talks to people that already know about/believe in him then what kind of crappy God is that? A majority of the worlds population is just out of luck because they weren't lucky enough to be born in a place that has bibles and churches? It seems to me it is the people that don't know about him that need his salvation more than anyone else. If you know about God and you know what rules he set for us and you break them that act is all on you. But if you are completely ignorant of God and his rules you should be the first in queue for that booming voice. At least that is my opinion.

I know this doesn't flow very well and I jumped around a little bit, I have a hard time putting my thoughts in cohesive order sometimes I apologize. This isn't meant to start any arguments, I am honestly just wondering if anyone has any answers or can provide me any instances of God talking to a non-believer/unknowing.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Well the mind is an interesting thing I will say that I flip flop back and forth on the existence of g/God but at the same time in society we are told that voices in our head make us crazy. So I just wanted to put that out there before continuing on. I personally have not heard God talking to me but did have unusual experiences when I was younger boarding on paranormal at times and such yet no voices. It wasn't until I was on A.D.H.D medication that I began to feel presences again and hear a bit of voices; yet since it was medicated the question then becomes was it the medicine making me hear those voices or were the pills opening my mind back up to a different side.

As of late I have been getting back into my Buddhist meditation and reading, and have not as of yet heard voices or anything of the sort.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve

What my question really is though, has anyone ever heard of God talking to someone that wasn't already a Christian?

Judaisim - Christianity - Islam worship the same GOD - They were influenced by Abraham who was influenced by ANNUNAKI LORD ENLIL..... SO to answer the OP YES

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

I don't think anyone actually hears a "booming voice" when they supposedly talk to God. I think it's more like a conversation you're having in your head, or an epiphany if you know what I mean. Some would argue you're actually talking to yourself,... but as long as the other you or (God) isn't asking you to harm someone else and if it gives you a peace of mind, there's no real harm in it. The ultra religious probably work hard at channeling these conversations and Christians are generally told from an early age to try to speak to God, so maybe that explains why it's mostly Christians who have these conversations with God. Buddhists have different methods. They like to meditate and get in touch with the spiritual world. Every religion seems to roughly believe in the same thing, but gives it different names and finds different paths toward "enlightenment".

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
In the Bible, (I think it was Paul, but not sure) He started out against Christians and were persecuting them, then he had an encounter that changed his whole world view. I think it is in Acts. My memory is fuzzy on this stuff.

I could go back and reread, but I'm not going to.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SolidFaith

Thanks for commenting. I think you bring up a most important point in this discussion, hearing voices is only a good thing if that voice is of God'ish origins. In one circumstance you are blessed, and possibly ordained and put on a pedestal; In another circumstance you are crazy and possibly committed and put on a medication =)

As I stated I grew up in Christian family and home. I am 31 and haven't been to church or believed any religion in a loooong time. Yet I still feel terribly guilty when I masturbate and imagine all my dead family members sitting in heaven watching me do it like spectators at a baseball game. That is completely sick in all sense of the word yet it is so ingrained in my psyche that I cannot get passed it even now. There is no doubt that Catholicism is the religion of guilt.

Anyway I have experienced some pretty cool things while meditating also, and after meeting my Thai wife and spending time in Thailand have become really interested in Buddhism. I know it might seem to some that I am being hypocritical in saying that I don't believe in organized religion yet am interested in Buddha and his teachings. This isn't the thread to explain my thinking but let me just say I am able to pick and choose what I want to take from a particular school of thought/Religion/Philosophy without subscribing to the whole thing. I think my actions in life are probably more Christian like than most of the Christians I know but that doesn't mean anything other than I treat other people how I want them to treat me.

Here is something really off topic for you but an idea I had the other day. What if people that claim to remember living past lives, are actually just tapping into some kind of shared information experience that all Humans have? Meaning yes I might be able to close my eyes and remember exactly what it was like to be a soldier in WW2, or a slave in Egypt but its not because I lived that life in that body, but because I am tapping into something that compiles all the memories and experiences and knowledge of every single person/entity to have ever lived and stores it. I like the idea of reincarnation, and want to think it is possible but this idea is just making more sense to me and something I can't explain tells me it is more likely an explanation.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
In my opinion, it takes a certain amount of psychosis to believe in all of that. Dinosaurs, Pyramids, Apes, Cavemen remains, the actual age of the planet Earth and the planets surrounding it should be enough make a person realize that the Bible is just a book of rules and morals to follow, with example stories not to be taken literally. It was a great tool for mass control that oddly is still working to this day....

There will never be enough proof that god exists for me to believe and for a Christian no amount of proof will work for them either so go figure.
Best thing to do is stop worrying yourself sick over it and get out and live your life the way you want to, the way that makes you happy. You should not have to force yourself to have faith.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

As I stated I grew up in Christian family and home. I am 31 and haven't been to church or believed any religion in a loooong time. Yet I still feel terribly guilty when I masturbate and imagine all my dead family members sitting in heaven watching me do it like spectators at a baseball game. That is completely sick in all sense of the word yet it is so ingrained in my psyche that I cannot get passed it even now. There is no doubt that Catholicism is the religion of guilt.

That's some pretty funny chit right there...

You keep looking for answers on the outside.

The answer you seek, lies within.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions

I don't think anyone actually hears a "booming voice" when they supposedly talk to God. I think it's more like a conversation you're having in your head, or an epiphany if you know what I mean. Some would argue you're actually talking to yourself,... but as long as the other you or (God) isn't asking you to harm someone else and if it gives you a peace of mind, there's no real harm in it. The ultra religious probably work hard at channeling these conversations and Christians are generally told from an early age to try to speak to God, so maybe that explains why it's mostly Christians who have these conversations with God. Buddhists have different methods. They like to meditate and get in touch with the spiritual world. Every religion seems to roughly believe in the same thing, but gives it different names and finds different paths toward "enlightenment".

I agree with what you are saying, and I am not trying to make a case that people that say they are talking to God are crazy, or that they shouldn't be talking to God. Like I said It may come off as something else but really I am jealous of these people. I understand that during meditation your experience could be considered the same thing, and I have had profound realizations while meditating but I didn't think that knowledge was coming from any outside source. Maybe I have misunderstood what people represent as conversations with God. I really did think people actually heard a voice and replied back and shared a dialogue with God. I don't doubt that an entity could communicate with us through events and experiences which a person could then relate back to God/Buddha/Allah/etc.

But could someone without any knowledge of a Christian/Muslim/Jewish "God" have an experience that afterwards would leave them little doubt that they just communicated with a being that headed up a religion that they had never before heard of? Like could we place someone in total isolation on an Island with absolutely 0 outside information or contact and then expect them at the end of their life to know about God at all?

Originally posted by calnorak
In the Bible, (I think it was Paul, but not sure) He started out against Christians and were persecuting them, then he had an encounter that changed his whole world view. I think it is in Acts. My memory is fuzzy on this stuff.

This person would still be biased toward believing it was "god" because they already knew about that "god" before the event, whether they ascribed to that particular belief or not. Know what I mean? I am talking about someone that is completely and totally unfamiliar with the concept of God or Religion having an experience that in the end left them knowing about God or that Religion.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

You've been taught to believe the thoughts in your head aren't God talking to you.

This is why you never hear.

When we stop talking and listen, we hear. But you have to remove your expectations of how it will happen. Just because one person hears a booming voice, another may simply notice something new in something they read that answers a long lasting question.

Then when you start to sense that *every* experience you have is God/Tao/Infinity/The Universe talking to "Him/Her/Itself" through your unique position, perspective, and filters, then you can start to hear.

This is what is meant by "I hear/see God/Tao/Infinity in everything", whether you are a Deist, Christian, Buddhist, New Ager, Atheist, Taoist, or no label at all.

You are constantly being talked to. We've been trained not to listen, or even that there is anything to listen to. Your mind is unique, thus the way The Universe will speak to you will be unique. Others can point to their experience, but theirs is unique too even if there may be shared similarities.

Namaste!

edit on 2011/12/28 by ErgoTheConfusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I was thinking about something the other day, and how people sometimes describe conversations and relationships with God. This is the Christian God we're talking about now. Well I am getting to the point of being pissed off that he/she/it keeps ignoring me, and not answering my calls for conversation. For that matter, he has never talked to anyone I know either and they are almost 100% coming from Christian back grounds. Especially my grandparents, they are straight up holy rollers. This is meant to be light hearted and humorous but honest too, because I have called out many times for the affirmation I so desire but am constantly ignored.

I believe He reveals Himself audibly to the people who have the gift and anointing of prophecy. The Holy Spirit gives us different gifts to glorify God and to edify the body of Christ. Some have the gift of prophecy, or "Word of knowledge" it's referred to these days. But Paul asks if all speak with tongues, or if all are prophets, so that gives us a hint that we are not all used in the same manner by the Lord.

I can't recall ever reading where God spoke to everyone. Usually, God spoke to His prophets and if people weren't spiritually discerned they may have heard only thunder.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak

Yes, Acts.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
So it seems that the responses are saying its not so important who you think its from, or how you get it but whats in the message that counts? So if we cut out all of the church attendance, praying, lent, communion, etc. as long as we are living righteously and understand the message it is all the same?

That happens to be my thoughts on it to be honest, like I said I think I live more Christian like than most Christians I know but I don't go to church, I regularly curse and take Gods name in vein, masturbate furiously, and abuse drugs. But really that isn't even what I am trying to ask in this thread.

In less convoluted terms: Is there any evidence of God talking audibly to a person that prior had no knowledge of God or any religions that God is affiliated with? Was that person then able to determine after the conversation that it was in fact the God affiliated with Christianity, Judeism, or Islam, even though they didn't even know those terms or ideas prior to the conversation?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Maybe he has spoken to you and you were so tuned in to your own desires that you did not hear it. Has there ever been a time when you could have helped someone but decided to turn away and ignore that little feeling of, "i should?" I am sure there has been a time or two that God has given you something and you missed it. Sometimes you have to look as well as listen. It is not like god is going to say, "yo, Stevey, is that you?"

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

To me.....It's relationship not religion.

Not real sure about your main question though.

I have never heard a voice in my head.

Oh yeah, there are only two lies about masturbation.

A person that says the never do it....And a person that says the are going to quit.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I have a friend who was not raised as a Christian. Her parents were new-age hippies. She was an intravenous user of meth and had gotten way out of control. The very last time she shot up, she was on the verge of overdosing. She claims that the spirit of Jesus came to her and told her that she must stop, that He loved and forgave her, and would help her to get clean.

Ten years later, she is the most devout Christian I have ever met, and really lives as a Christian is supposed to live. She gives testimony at church and states that God used that last hit of meth to speak to her. Naturally, most people who hear her story are uncomfortable with it and reject the idea that God would use a drug to speak to somebody.

It sounds like drug-induced psychosis, but God works in mysterious ways. I have another friend who was so depressed he put a gun in his mouth and was ready to pull the trigger, when suddenly he heard a voice say gently, "I forgive you". He put the gun down and cried himself to sleep. When he awoke, he decided to follow a righteous path and put all his troubles in God's hands.

I think that God comes through loud and clear when you hit rock bottom. The rest of the time, He communicates in other ways, and we have only to open our eyes and look around to see His presence. Sometimes religion blinds us to the obvious. Have you ever thought that God uses others in your life to speak to you?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

That's some pretty funny chit right there...

You keep looking for answers on the outside.

The answer you seek, lies within.

I hear dear old grandma now, "GOOOOOAAAALLLL" LOL

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
You need to eat some peyote cactus and light a bush on fire and wait 45 minutes to an hour and you`ll be chatting up a storm with "divine" beings in no time. Remembering what they said wil be another matter.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Here is something really off topic for you but an idea I had the other day. What if people that claim to remember living past lives, are actually just tapping into some kind of shared information experience that all Humans have? Meaning yes I might be able to close my eyes and remember exactly what it was like to be a soldier in WW2, or a slave in Egypt but its not because I lived that life in that body, but because I am tapping into something that compiles all the memories and experiences and knowledge of every single person/entity to have ever lived and stores it. I like the idea of reincarnation, and want to think it is possible but this idea is just making more sense to me and something I can't explain tells me it is more likely an explanation.

I think this is a very good topic in itself. I wonder if there is someone out there in ATS land that could act as an authority on this subject because I have not studied it enought.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

So it seems that the responses are saying its not so important who you think its from, or how you get it but whats in the message that counts? So if we cut out all of the church attendance, praying, lent, communion, etc. as long as we are living righteously and understand the message it is all the same?

That happens to be my thoughts on it to be honest, like I said I think I live more Christian like than most Christians I know but I don't go to church, I regularly curse and take Gods name in vein, masturbate furiously, and abuse drugs. But really that isn't even what I am trying to ask in this thread.

In less convoluted terms: Is there any evidence of God talking audibly to a person that prior had no knowledge of God or any religions that God is affiliated with? Was that person then able to determine after the conversation that it was in fact the God affiliated with Christianity, Judeism, or Islam, even though they didn't even know those terms or ideas prior to the conversation?

If there was undeniable proof that someone heard the voice of God, we would be closer to knowing whether a God really exists. However there is no SOLID proof that such a thing ever happened. These conversations with God are a very personal thing, and even if the person(s) believe that it was the voice of God, how would they know beyond a shadow of doubt? The answer is that they wouldn't, but they might very strongly believe this is the case.

There have been a few documented cases in which a group of people claimed they heard God speaking to them, but you're not going to hear authenticated audio or video recordings of the event. You just have to accept based on faith, based on what you feel is good for you as far as believing goes. That's the way it has always been, and until scientists make that discovery and verify it through repeated and tested experiments, you're just not going to get the answer you're looking for.

As far as people hearing voices who have never been exposed to the idea of God, well,.... I don't know. I imagine that they would come up with a different name for this force/voice they are hearing. I think your best bet is to look into tribal history of the people of the Amazon, or the Native Americans for example and what they believed to be true before they were exposed to Christians. I think you'll find your answer there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join