It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Congress Calls On Occupiers Nationwide To Join In DC January 17, 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

(Blocked out a bad word)

Posted at 09:37 AM ET, 12/02/2011
In the two weeks since the New York Police Department cleared New York’s Zuccotti Park of its camping protesters, the Occupy Wall Street movement has increasingly turned its attention to Washington. Last week, some 50 marchers arrived at McPherson Square from New York and then marched on the Capitol. Yesterday, Occupy DC targeted congressional Democrats at a campaign fundraiser. Now, protesters say they plan to Occupy Congress on Jan. 17, in the “largest Occupy protest ever!”

The protest is being timed with the start of the 2012 legislative session for Congress. Protesters say they hope to set up 1 million tents in front of the Capitol. “We’re taking the movement straight to their doorstep,” the protest’s Facebook page wrote.

When organizers asked on Facebook what “unified message” they should all bring to Congress, commenter Donna Hebert wrote:“End corporate personhood. Term limits in congress (3 in house, 1 in senate)... End salary or health insurance tenure. Reform campaign finance to end corporate/pac donations.”

Although branded by some as a liberal movement, Occupy has repeatedly stated that it does not ally with any political party, and will take aim at the Democrats as well as Republicans when it Occupies Congress in January.

Washingto n Post Blog

I really hope this is a huge success. While there has been Occupy DC, Occupy K St and Occupy Congress for months now...there has been very little media coverage of actions that they take. As they continue to absorb Occupiers evicted from various camps from across the nation, I don't see how the media can keep ignoring them and our government may end up severely regretting it's involving Mayors, DHS, and local law enforcement to break up the various camps nationwide.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Government controls the media. Thats why there is little coverage. And if they do it says stuff like "the protests are dying down". They are using their old tactics of lying and manipulating the public.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
One of the worst things they could have done was evict thousands of occupiers,
Young people (like myself, as i am guilty of it to) can be very.. What is the word.. I can't think of it right now, but we do not like to give up especially on something that we believe in..
Thousands from evicted occupies will now flock to DC. And the supporters of the movement will continue to support. Its going to be a good year, DC.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This is where they should have gone in the first place. Of the stated goals, term limits should be their prority. We'll get zero support from the media as far as publicising this event, but i hope that every unemployed person in America shows up. So many that they shut the whole GD city down. The common man so far outnumbers the elites that this may be our last opportunity before we're f****d for good.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Gee..I wonder what I'll do today.

Should I take responsibility for myself, my future and my family's future by looking for a job or improving my functional skills or should I travel to another city to hold signs bitching about things that other people have.

Decisions...decisions....

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
P.S. I agree with the message of this movement - just not the methods.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit

Should I take responsibility for myself, my future and my family's future by looking for a job or improving my functional skills or should I travel to another city to hold signs bitching about things that other people have.

I'd facepalm you, but this should suffice:

edit on 12/28/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Just be glad that while you're looking for a job and improving your functional skills, there's other people who are willing to do the protesting for you. You don't have to occupy anything to be supportive. I imagine that donating a few pizzas or hot drinks will suffice as support for the movement.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions
Just be glad that while you're looking for a job and improving your functional skills, there's other people who are willing to do the protesting for you. You don't have to occupy anything to be supportive. I imagine that donating a few pizzas or hot drinks will suffice as support for the movement.

So my holding a steady job that contributes via taxation to the ability for these people who don't work to receive benefits in order to not work and go about protesting against things that other people have, Isn't supporting them?

Pizza? No I won't buy them pizza. I can show them how to make one though :-)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by dillweed

I see your point but I think support needed to be built up across the US. I'm concerned a bit because I'm such a baby about the weather myself that waiting til spring may have a better turn out but I get the wanting to be active when Congress opens for 2012.

I agree with you about term limits but I think campaign finance reform and ending corporate personhood are on par with top priorities, I couldn't place one over the other. I personally would ammend that Union donations need to be added to campaign finance reform.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
Young people (like myself, as i am guilty of it to) can be very.. What is the word.. I can't think of it right now, but we do not like to give up especially on something that we believe in..
Thousands from evicted occupies will now flock to DC. And the supporters of the movement will continue to support. Its going to be a good year, DC.

I think the word you're looking for is resolve. young people like yourself have strong resolve. You want to see it through, am I close?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by gunshooter

Originally posted by AzureSky

I think the word you're looking for is resolve. young people like yourself have strong resolve. You want to see it through, am I close?

Thats the one! Thanks a lot!
There are words like that i can never pick out of my brain, haha, But yes, there are too many people that want to see this through to the end.

And tax money goes to interest payments on federal debt, just saying. At least it does here, and since we are modelled after your banking system.. so it should be the same.
Its public knowledge, its written right into our budget plan that is available in a booklet.

Private banks own your tax money, lol.
edit on 28/12/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions

So my holding a steady job that contributes via taxation to the ability for these people who don't work to receive benefits in order to not work and go about protesting against things that other people have, Isn't supporting them?

Pizza? No I won't buy them pizza. I can show them how to make one though :-)

it kind of sounds like a cop out to me there TX. you can still be gainfully employed and still help support the occupy movement by other means. heck. Im employed, and I still go out and hold a sign up at my local occupy area here. in fact, most people down at the occupy duluth are still employed, but still fight for the change. there is more to supporting a movement than just holding a job down, have you written to your congressman lately? maybe dropped a line to a senator to let them know how you feel? anything pro-active? Hey, keeping your job, and keeping your mouth shut at the same time is not support, neither is sarcasm.....
edit on 28/12/11 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

I will Star and Flag this Kali,because This is what Occupy SHOULD have done in the first place,albeit the movement has been shown to contain elements of a nefarious agenda,and I dont believe personally you can get that many people out to these protests,in the middle of winter.
Occupy has to stop focusing on MONEY,and focus hard on the policy makers,R and D alike.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

Let me be a little more clear then. My responses were geared more towards the "professional occupiers", You know - that ones that make a career out of going from protest to protest as mentioned above.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

And when those jobs don't exist? How about when you lost your home? What about those students who can't find ANY work at all, and have massive debts?

You have a very simplistic view of what a protester is, and what it takes to get out of poverty. You're lucky you have a job, but a part of me hopes that you loose it, then your home, then maybe you'll understand that it isn't as simple as "get a job".

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Hey, did it ever occur to Occupy that if we were going to see this happen before Spring and their March target date..it would have been nice to do this a little SOONER?! I'd have driven to D.C. to join if it hadn't been planned the same WEEK nearly every college in the free world returns to classes for Spring Semester.

Geeze guys... Fail doesn't really do this justice. What's the next brilliant plan? Are we going to have a march on Obama's West Wing everyone would love to join....set for University graduations?! Perhaps FINALS week would be even better!

C'mon Occupy... EPIC fail would be fitting for this. If they're trying to find dates and plan things where *ONLY* the homeless, jobless and professional protesters can even consider attending, they're off to a dandy start.

ARG!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

reply to post by gunshooter

Let me be a little more clear then. My responses were geared more towards the "professional occupiers", You know - that ones that make a career out of going from protest to protest as mentioned above.

So you have something against those who stand up against corruption and greed?

IMO, those who do spend all their free time protesting are heroes. They are the ones actually doing something more than working their 9-5 and keeping their fingers crossed that the bosses aren't ripping them off. They're the ones who actually know what's happening in the world and see that no one has stood up against it.

While many are sitting back and seeing another banker walk away with billions, while thousands more are made unemployed and millions homeless, and simply thinking "well, it hasn't happened to me yet, so it's not my problem", these people actually understand that this is just the start of the robbery unless people fight back.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I just hope they have their message straight this time and that the MSM shows the real people that are there for issues not for the group mentallity

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

You have a very simplistic view of what a protester is, and what it takes to get out of poverty. You're lucky you have a job, but a part of me hopes that you loose it, then your home, then maybe you'll understand that it isn't as simple as "get a job".

And there lies the problem. Why would anyone wish for someone to "lose" a job,to teach them a lesson that you believe should be learned? How do you know this person didnt lose his job before ? Haves and Have nots?

Look,There ARE professional protesters,those with an agenda at Occupy. Its not hard to start a petition to recall those who are taking money,and not helping out their constituents. Its not hard to run for Government job.Whats hard is sticking to your principles,and Congress has NONE. 20% unemployment isnt going to get fixed overnight. What could have happened the last 3 years though,was a plan from our President to fix our aging infrastructure,instead of bailing out corporations,but bailing out the American people.Roads,bridges,sewers,electrical lines,you name it. That could have been done,but wasn't even attempted. This is what AMERICA wants.Jobs. People were waiting for hope and change to work.It didnt.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join