It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Looking For Soldiers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

As i said though it is not a derogatory word in our country, I can understand it is in Australian if you have used it offensively against them, but its a moot point in my country, the word means nothing more than a shortend way to say aboriginal, thats basicaly it.

Glad to hear your making some progress with them though, personaly im surprised they are allowed to serve giving attitudes towards them.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Originally posted by steveknows

Originally posted by steveknows

reply to post by steveknows

Not only that mate, but everything else Aus is doing, signing # like the memorandum last month effectively outting us under some US laws. Julia Gillard wants to introduce a US style of electing members of Parliament. Its #ed!

I'm watching that bitch like a hawk and I haven't read anything like this. Perhaps I missed it. Where did you get the info?

Here is the memorandum mate

www.cnet.com.au...

As for the US style of elections, i can't seem to recover it

I remember reading about it in an article about 7 members siding with Rudd or something (90% sure). It had a paragraph about Julia's version of what she thinks elections should be like.

Edit: Really? Last i heard, Aussies were on a waiting list for a lot of jobs (that was only the army though). So i'm not sure. I know the Navy is recruiting Poms
edit on 28-12-2011 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

Ok I read it. From what I can tell there's no source to the document. Not even a stamp. And "if" it is real it's only about combating terrorism and it's not saying that any U.S law is being imposed on Australia. Any law passed in Australia can be done ony after a process of parliament anyway.
I think it's fake.

Now about Gillard. I wouldn't put anything passed her but a U.S style election wouldn't work in Aus. That's where our cultures do differ. This is why in the U.K and the U.S TPTB can get away with driving around in black cars but all cars for TPTB in Aus must be white. We as a culture can't stomach an image of hierarchy.

A U.S style election would never take.

Yeah mate, about the link, you can also find that memorandum on the White House website, so i am inclined to believe it is real. About the imposing laws, i guess that if Australia were to hand over all evidence and DNA of the "terrorist", then perhaps the "terrorist" can be extradited to the US to face their laws?

Thanks for that I'll have a look. In truth I don't mind an agreement like this as long as it sticks to the terrorists only. Terrorism is an international problem and we need common laws to deal with it I think. I'm just suprised it wasn't already in place.

Mind you one thing it would do is give people like David Hicks no where to appeal anything. And in that matter I don't think the guy should have been put in the same basket as terrorists as he was fighting for the military arm of Afghans regime at the time and not al-Qaeda.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
I loved this bit from the article:

"Can't ever imagine putting my life on the line for another country," posted Larry Josefowski, an Iraq War veteran and Army reservist in Delaware, "even for Australia."

That sentence doesn't make him seem too bright.

Why?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ixtab
Is Australia still too racist to use abo's in there army?

There are indigenous soldiers . But no one can be dragged in kicking and screaming. Black or white.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
reply to post by Ixtab

you should take that racist nickname and shove if up where the sun dont shine.

They are aboriginals.

edit on 28-12-2011 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

Get over yourself fella. It's no different than use the word yank or pom or skip. It's short and a bit of a shot word but it's hardly raciest. I suppose Bazza and Shazza and Davo or Johno are racist words too?
edit on 28-12-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09

Originally posted by twinmommy38
It seems to be all about the money here.

To recruit and fully train a new soldier is very expensive, and even after training, they have no appreciable combat experience. And they may have enlisted for the after-service schooling benefits alone and are simply waiting for their time to be up.

To recruit a fully trained and combat tested soldier, who has shown the determination to faithfully serve and who are being displaced simply due to downsizing, seems like a very cost effective way to strengthen even further an already effective combat force.
Im thinking the same.It looks like the Aussies want the finished product without paying for the cost of production!

Is that your qualified opinion is it? No wrong buddy. They can't get the numbers to join is the problem. See we who actually live here and understand things know that there's been a recruitment drive for a number of years which isn't being answerd. This is why they've raised the age limit form 35 to 50 depending on the job. And why they've given financial bonuses to those who re inlist when their service is finished.. It's not about money.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

Maybe Oz has a shortage of soldiers? We had a similar issue the last years with something of a shortage. I guess now we no longer have that shortage of troops. If oz needs troops and we have extra to spare that doesnt mind helping out brothers and sisters of another allied... STAUNCH allied... Country. I see no problem with this. It's kinda odd, but we've had forign troops in OUR millitary for many, many years now... Including Austraillians.

Quite the contrart, we have an abundance of people wanting to sign up to the combat jobs - the waiting list for both Cavalry and Infantry is over 6months at this point in time.

To put it in perspective, when I enlisted 3.5 years ago, there was about a 2 week wait for a cavalry job.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

actually, those words were humour in TV or advertising.
You can walk up to an american and say yank and get a laugh or a stern look
you can walk up to an englishman and call him a pom and get a laugh or a stern look
if you walk up to an aboriginal and say 'abo' he's likely to smack you.
and if you use that word in court, to the police or on camera it will land you in crap loads of trouble, just as if you used the racist nickname african americans are ridiculed with.

Being we are both in Australia we both know the issues we've been having with indian students, cronulla youth and such.

you'd think and decent minded person wouldnt defend anyone being racist.... eh fella?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

No one is being racist though, this is the point you are not getting.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

actually, those words were humour in TV or advertising.
You can walk up to an american and say yank and get a laugh or a stern look
you can walk up to an englishman and call him a pom and get a laugh or a stern look
if you walk up to an aboriginal and say 'abo' he's likely to smack you.
and if you use that word in court, to the police or on camera it will land you in crap loads of trouble, just as if you used the racist nickname african americans are ridiculed with.

Being we are both in Australia we both know the issues we've been having with indian students, cronulla youth and such.

you'd think and decent minded person wouldnt defend anyone being racist.... eh fella?

It's not raciest. Perhaps you're just projecting your own flaws onto other people eh fella? Who's the raciest?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AussieNutter

Originally posted by theRhenn

Maybe Oz has a shortage of soldiers? We had a similar issue the last years with something of a shortage. I guess now we no longer have that shortage of troops. If oz needs troops and we have extra to spare that doesnt mind helping out brothers and sisters of another allied... STAUNCH allied... Country. I see no problem with this. It's kinda odd, but we've had forign troops in OUR millitary for many, many years now... Including Austraillians.

Quite the contrart, we have an abundance of people wanting to sign up to the combat jobs - the waiting list for both Cavalry and Infantry is over 6months at this point in time.

To put it in perspective, when I enlisted 3.5 years ago, there was about a 2 week wait for a cavalry job.

Go RAAC. Ex 2 CAV. That's me

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ixtab

what im saying is
the term 'abo'
is considered derogatory by Aboriginals.
If you use it in public and are caught on camera or by the police they can charge you.

It's a descriptive term based on race, therefore its racist.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I've got an Idea. Why don't they get all those young able body afghan males who are arriving here by boat illigally and intsead of it costing us billions to support them and instead of giving them the dole and spending $80.000 in 6 months on ciggarettes for them they can allow them the chance to earn a right to live here by joing our army and going back home to fight the people they claim they are running from instead of our young soldiers going over there to fight for them while they sit on their arses here and complain about being locked up.

Yep I think that's a good idea.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Is Australia still too racist to use abo's in there army?

Here's an answer to your unresearched troll driven question.

I'd like to point out also that though there were aboriginal units formed, for the most part there was no segregation unlike with the U.S forces.

Also though there have been aboriginal schools due to the populations of aboriginals in the more remote areas of Australia, there has never been a policy of segregation in our schools and school photos of the earliest periods show aboriginal and white school students sitting together in class.

Aboriginals never had to give a bus seat to a white person unlike in the U.S. There were never segragated drinking bubblers unlike in the U.S.

Who's racist?

Aboriginies have served in trhe Australian defence forces in:

1899-1902 Transvaal, South Africa Second Boer War

1914-1918 mainly EuropeWorld War I ( The Great War)

1939-1945 Europe World War 2 1946-1951 JapanOccupation of Japan by Allied forces

1950-1953 Japan Korea Japan Korean War

1950-1960 KoreaKorean War

1963-1966Indonesia-Malaysia confrontation

1962-1975Vietnam War

1990-1991 Iraq Gulf War 2001 to present

Afghanistan War - Terrorism 2003 to present

Second Gulf War - Iraq

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This isn't right...just, not sitting right with me...

Lest we forget.

Where was everybody else when our boys were in places like Gallipoli, Kokoda trail etc?

Republic of Australia!!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
They are seeking particular skills:

More info from the recruitment centre and what skills they are looking for......

www.defencejobs.gov.au...

Those who wish to apply, first priority would be given to those in NZ, UK, Canada and USA - in that order!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

This is not a rant on the Australian Aboriginals! Stay on topic!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

As i said though it is not a derogatory word in our country, I can understand it is in Australian if you have used it offensively against them, but its a moot point in my country, the word means nothing more than a shortend way to say aboriginal, thats basicaly it.

Glad to hear your making some progress with them though, personaly im surprised they are allowed to serve giving attitudes towards them.

Apart from trolling. What do you know?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

This is not a rant on the Australian Aboriginals! Stay on topic!

I didn't start it. Mind your own business you most up yourself, self imposed mod.. You should be able to see that I was reponding to an unresearched post. Also you should be able to see that aboriginal service is relative to the thread when shortage of troops is discussed.

Other than that have some spine and state where you come from. You could be and most likey are an overseas troll.
edit on 29-12-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Aboriginal service in to the ADF? Are you kidding me? They go on walkabout after 5 mins; in the military they call that AWOL.

If you want me to mind my own business then I strongly suggest you go in to private chat or email.....dingbat!
edit on 30-12-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join