It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Priests brawl in Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Priests brawl in Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity

www.bbc.co.uk

Scuffles have broken out between rival groups of Greek Orthodox and Armenian Christian clerics over a turf war in Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Apologies if this has already been posted as did not see it. Great video of a great broom fight. Certainly the best broom fight I have ever seen. Reading the story though it seems this kind of thing happens every year.

"It was a trivial problem that ... occurs every year," Bethlehem police Lieutenant-Colonel Khaled al-Tamimi told Reuters.

"No one was arrested because all those involved were men of God," he said.

Is it fair that the law doesn't apply to religious fanatics?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT,

another brawl just over a year ago
www.youtube.com...

1 from a few yeara back
www.youtube.com...

edit on 28-12-2011 by trustnothing because: added links to vids of earlier incidents

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by trustnothing

You beat me to it. Now I must go and buy myself a priest uniform as there is a crime I want to commit. Good to know.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
They've been doing this for years. It's kind of a joke in Christian circles. Like two brothers sharing a bed room and they put a big white chalk line down the middle in which neither one can cross over to the other side.
I don't know if they do it for misplaced religious fervor (I got the prize!!) or for power.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It's so good to see that the representatives of God can get in to an awesome brawl and be able to enjoy a bowl of Corn Flakes as if nothing has happened.

Party on, brothers.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

Yep, thats the Xmas spirit in Bethlehem!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by trustnothing

Pretty funny the police didn't arrest any one because they were all Men of God. But I guess that doesn't apply to police attacking the same men with batons.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by guppy

This is just the annual entertainment. No one takes it seriously; it is more like a playground shoving match over who encroached on who's turf. The police don't want to arrest anyone and spoil the fun.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
When 2 christian branches can't get along I don't hold out much hope for Islam, Judaism and christianity to get along.

Organized religion has run it's course. time to stop throwing virgins into volcanoes.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
OMG to funny.

Where did they get all the brooms?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

"100 priests fought with brooms while cleaning the church"

Live by the broom, die by the broom!

This type of in-fighting amongst different Christian sects is why the keys to the church belong to the Nusseibeh family until this day! One of Christianity's most sacred sites is in custodial possession of Muslims.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

"No one was arrested because all those involved were men of God."

I wonder if this was the same reasoning for the massive payouts and lack of imprisonment for the Catholic Priest pedophiles.

P.S.
No disrespect or ill-will directed at any believers. I'm strictly referring to the pedos. It was just the first thought that jumped into my mind while reading the innocence of the broom brawlers based on being men of God. The broom fighting clerics don't deserve any jail anyway, as long as no one was hurt and all was forgiven.

edit on 12/28/11 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

"100 priests fought with brooms while cleaning the church"

This type of in-fighting amongst different Christian sects is why the keys to the church belong to the Nusseibeh family until this day! One of Christianity's most sacred sites is in custodial possession of Muslims.

It was only two guys who started it, the rest just got swept up into it.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Bada-Bing-Bada-Broom! Was that a monk filming the brawl on an iphone? And at least one of them was wearing a mask arab spring style.

Too Monkin' funny.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
As far as I'm aware this sort of thing is not uncommon which is probably why the police didn't make arrests, everyone just seems to brush it off and carry on afterwards as if nothing happened.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
That is a funny story on the surface but to me it is maddening that because they can't agree on who should pay for upkeep, they are letting a historical site fall into disrepair. I'm a Christian but it is crap like this, the petty infighting and bickering that drove me out of organized religion and left me to find God in my own way. I do get sad when I read in the Bible how I am not walking my Christian path in fullness by turning my back on fellowship with my Christian brethren. But my Christian brethren are the ones who made me become a disillusioned pissed off atheist for a good portion of my life that I wish I could get back. I know now not to reject the message just because some of the messengers can't get it right. But stuff like this does not make me want to jump back into the "fellowship" that more often than not ends up in a social melee like that of the monks, but with hurtful words and attitudes instead of brooms as weapons.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

"No one was arrested because all those involved were men of God"

and this is exactly why we need to abolish the mainstream religions, this is the biggest pile of crap i've ever read.

men of god are above the law? good to know...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
So much for their words acting as swords . Time to go to the next level and behave like it was in their genes all the time . Give them a spanking and ground them for a week or two .
edit on 28-12-2011 by watchdog8110 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join